The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 10, 2013, 04:50 PM   #1
stiggs13

ID Help Remington

Hi I am helping my mother in law with her late husbands shotgun collection and have 2 that I can't seem to ID. One is stamped 50 and the other 140, they seem to be a 1100 variant semi-auto? Going to be awhile til I go back out to photograph them, but trying to get a general ID on what she has so she can decide what to do with them.

Thanks
Old September 10, 2013, 04:55 PM   #2
stiggs13

Nevermind I got they are Winchesters, the rest of the collection were Remingtons

Thanks anyhoo
Old September 10, 2013, 09:43 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

The Winchester Model 50 is an interesting shotgun. It was, I think, the first recoil-operated shotgun that had a fixed barrel.

You don't see too many of them these days, as they apparently didn't sell well because they apparently required regular cleaning at pretty short intervals.

They were one of the designs to be phased out in 1964.

The 140 is an economy version of the Winchester 1400. Both were post 1964 guns. Not particularly valuable, but a decent shooter, and a good general purpose gun if fitted with the Winchoke system.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.