The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 7, 2013, 04:44 PM   #1
kcub

impulse buy: FNH 5.7 in flat dark earth

What can I say? I'm weak. Can't wait to shoot it.
Old September 7, 2013, 06:45 PM   #2
CurlyQ.Howard

Got any ammo? It's been more available as the year has progressed, but it has also commanded a premium (IMHO).
Old September 7, 2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Jen-from-IL

impulse buy: FNH 5.7 in flat dark earth

Would love to hear about your experience with it. Not planning on the getting the 5.7 (planning on the FNX).
Old September 7, 2013, 08:55 PM   #4
IdahoG36

I'd like to get one of those someday, along with a 5.7 upper for my AR.
Hk 45C, Hk VP9 9mm, Hk P30S 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm, Beretta 21A Bobcat, Ruger LCP .380, Ruger 22/45 LITE Cobalt, Spreewerke CYQ P38, Patriot Ordnance P415, Patriot Ordnance P308, Remington 870 Tactical Magpul, Swiss K31 7.5X55, BNZ 42 K98, Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary design contest rifle, Tikka T3 CTR
Old September 7, 2013, 09:14 PM   #5
PSP

It's a fun gun to shoot, especially when using some sort of reactive target such as a filled soda bottle. Double up on hearing protection, it's loud. You'll discover it's a very clean shooting gun. Enjoy.
Old September 7, 2013, 09:17 PM   #6
kcub

Picked up a few hundred rounds they had.
Old September 8, 2013, 09:36 AM   #7
kcub

All they had was factory hornady vmax ballistic tip.

I'd appreciate any knowledge about ammo types for 5.7.
Old September 8, 2013, 11:01 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

FNH 5.7mm pistols....

I saw a new FNH 5.7mm pistol for $2995.00!

I'm not sure $3000.00 is a good sale price for these polymer 5.7mm guns.
I know the FNH pistols are rare but that's way out of my range.
Old September 8, 2013, 12:09 PM   #9
kcub

There are a few on gunbroker near the $1150 price I paid.
Agreed price is high for plastic. Even the friggin' slide is plastic. That ought to LOWER costs not raise it. But I'm just a gunslut who cain't say no if there is money burning a hole in my pocket.
Old September 9, 2013, 01:44 AM   #10
IdahoG36

Quote:
But I'm just a gunslut who can't say no if there is money burning a hole in my pocket.
Same here haha!
Hk 45C, Hk VP9 9mm, Hk P30S 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm, Beretta 21A Bobcat, Ruger LCP .380, Ruger 22/45 LITE Cobalt, Spreewerke CYQ P38, Patriot Ordnance P415, Patriot Ordnance P308, Remington 870 Tactical Magpul, Swiss K31 7.5X55, BNZ 42 K98, Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary design contest rifle, Tikka T3 CTR
Old September 9, 2013, 12:32 PM   #11
hulley

Quote:
Even the friggin' slide is plastic.
I'm sure you know the plastic slid is just a cover over a steel slide.
I regret selling my Five-seveN, it was by far my most favorite gun to shoot. Ammo was very scarce around here for a long time, I got nervouse about having a high dollar paper weight so I sold it. made money on the deal but I wish I had it. I used to shoot soda cans at 80yds consistantly.
Old September 9, 2013, 12:42 PM   #12
CurlyQ.Howard

Shop here for a chance at getting more 5.7 ammo: http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/57x28/
You got it (the pistol) at a good price.
Old September 9, 2013, 04:34 PM   #13
ShipWreck

I had a Five Seven a while back - now, I kinda want one again. I see that they have smaller adjustable sights now.
Old September 9, 2013, 05:44 PM   #14
Constantine

Quote:
But I'm just a gunslut who can't say no if there is money burning a hole in my pocket.
Don't worry, I'm a gunslut too. I have calmed down the last several months though. I once went up to 30 handguns. I now just have 13.

Anyways, pics of the 5.7 when you get a chance please.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old September 9, 2013, 07:04 PM   #15
kcub

Mine looks just like this.
Old September 9, 2013, 07:15 PM   #16
Beretta686

Though it's a great, accurate and fun to shoot gun, keep your expectations in check.

I have one and love it, but it's mostly a novelty item/range-toy, rather than something you're actually going to find a practical use for. But it does make a nice flash at night when you're shooting it.

Though every time I watch The Walking Dead, I keep thinking that it's the pistol I'd want for the Zombocalypse, as you can roll with 61 rounds with just the magazines that come with it, it weighs nothing compared to a loaded Glock 17 and you can make headshots out to 100 meters if you practice enough.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old September 9, 2013, 07:26 PM   #17
Cheapshooter

Love "impulse buys". But mine haven't been in the 5.7 price range. More in the $200 to $400 range!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 9, 2013, 08:28 PM   #18
Constantine

Quote:
I have one and love it, but it's mostly a novelty item/range-toy, rather than something you're actually going to find a practical use for. But it does make a nice flash at night when you're shooting it.
Exactly my thoughts on it. I also feel that way about 1911's in this day and age. Love them for the range, that's just as far as they go with me.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old September 10, 2013, 04:29 AM   #19
kcub

I don't know. Stick a laser or light on it and it wouldn't be a bad gun to have in the middle of the night when you hear a window pane break. I wouldn't want a hailstorm of 5.7s coming down on me.

Isn't the secret service using them? Of course they might want the kevlar penetration capability to defend the commander in chief.
Old September 10, 2013, 07:50 AM   #20
Beretta686

Quote:
I don't know. Stick a laser or light on it and it wouldn't be a bad gun to have in the middle of the night when you hear a window pane break. I wouldn't want a hailstorm of 5.7s coming down on me.
Though I wouldn't want to get shot with a 5.7x28mm (or any other caliber for that matter), you can do the same thing with a Glock for 1/2 the price of the gun and the ammo and have more stopping power.*

*- Yes, I know about Nadal Hasan killing the 13 people with a Five-Seven, but it doesn't mean the Five-Seven is a practical gun or is better than other cartridges.

Quote:
Isn't the secret service using them? Of course they might want the kevlar penetration capability to defend the commander in chief.
I'm sure it's probably in their inventory, but I believe they're primarily all about the P90 SMG for defeating body armor over the Five-Seven. I've shot the P90 on full-auto and it's one of the most controllable full-auto's I've ever shot and every easy to keep on target.

Getting hit by 10 5.7x28mm rounds is going to do some serious damage, but getting shot by single 5.7x28mm rounds isn't quite the same.

From what I can see the cartridge is best employed from the SMG for putting multiple holes into someone quickly through body armor, and the Five-Seven is more there for commonality of ammo (and to sell to people like the OP and I).

This doesn't mean the Five-Seven isn't cool or anything, but it's a niche gun. Unless you have a need to defeat body armor and can get the AP rounds, you're not getting much bang-for-you buck that you can't get much cheaper with other cartridges and guns.

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts on it. I also feel that way about 1911's in this day and age. Love them for the range, that's just as far as they go with me.
lol, every time I say something to that effect about my 1911 or Hi-Power at the range, people seem to act like I just said I applied to join Al Qaeda. They're awesome guns which I love to shoot that were state-of-the-art when they were made, but so was the Single Action Army; that doesn't mean they're still the best. They're just not going to compare to more modern weapons.

*entering fall-out shelter to avoid incoming rounds*

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old September 10, 2013, 08:22 AM   #21
Constantine

Quote:
lol, every time I say something to that effect about my 1911 or Hi-Power at the range, people seem to act like I just said I applied to join Al Qaeda. They're awesome guns which I love to shoot that were state-of-the-art when they were made, but so was the Single Action Army; that doesn't mean they're still the best. They're just not going to compare to more modern weapons.
I know exactly how you feel. I get the same flak when I say that. Both on this forum and in person. It's just personal preference..lol Oh well.

I only have 2 1911's and 2 BHP's now. They're fine range guns for me and fun to shoot.......on the range.
Old September 11, 2013, 11:58 AM   #22
kcub

So what's the skinny on the various ammo types?
Old September 11, 2013, 04:17 PM   #23
ClydeFrog

2 types...

Im not into the 5.7mm line but to my understanding, FNH & the vendors only have two/02 types of 5.7x28mm pistol ammunition.
A target/training load & a carry/duty load.
Im not sure if any hunters or outdoor types use the FNH 5.7mm.

Clyde
Old September 11, 2013, 08:20 PM   #24
PSP

There may be some Elite ammo floating around for sale.
The four rounds one can usually come across are the;
SS198LF
SS197R
SS195LF
American Eagle (practice ammo).
Old September 12, 2013, 09:58 AM   #25
Beretta686

Quote:
Im not sure if any hunters or outdoor types use the FNH 5.7mm.
I've heard all sorts of second and third hand accounts of the mystical Five-Seven dropping pigs, deer and yetis with single shots at 100 meters or so, but that just doesn't add up.

Though I am planning on taking my Five-Seven with me dove hunting next weekend to shoot rabbits with. Hell with 21 rounds in the weapon, I'm bound to hit something.