The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 6, 2013, 10:49 PM   #51
mmb713

I'm not so much tired of it anymore as I am used to it. I've been into guns for twenty years and it seems like the only gun you ever see on the cover of a handgun magazine is the latest, greatest 1911 from some boutique shop. They usually MSRP in the $2000 - $3000 range. I gave up reading those magazines largely for that reason. "Here's the latest overpriced 1911 YOU'LL never own!" I'd personally rather read about a lot of different pistols and revolvers than the same repackaged design all the time. Now nearly every major manufacturer is making them too. If people are willing to buy them, hey, why not I guess. Myself, I've not followed that bandwagon, the design is obsolete. Even John Browning up until his death was striving to improve upon it. It's kind of like if every car manufacturer was making an upgraded version of the Model T and selling them for Mercedes Benz prices. "Well, our Model T has a stereo, A/C, power steering and a turbo though." It's a Model T!
Old September 6, 2013, 10:57 PM   #52
Babychief

Sarge

Sarge- i agree and is exact reason i mentioned M.I.M. Parts and the price difference. To start off with a used colt is still going to cost more..match barrels,lock time,splits etc,are not going to be noticble to entry level 1911 owners. Again "its not the arrow,its the indian"..im sure youve seen someone with more money than good sense dump money into a "custom" to only cause more FTEs and FTFs.
then there is the arched vs flat main spring housing pointability debate that is argued from some who never practice drawing from a holster when at the range.

I agree with "Mmb" al these magazines with race guns for E.d.c. And first focal plane scoped blah blah subsonic round..unrealistic..

Perfect example

.950 JDJ long gun $8000...people buy them..lol

Lol..good times
I enjoy what i own..
Old September 7, 2013, 08:33 AM   #53
cecILL

Hey chief, check out the Hi-points.
Old September 7, 2013, 08:44 AM   #54
whip1

How grumpy does one have to be to see new guns come out? Competition makes every one better.
Old September 7, 2013, 08:59 AM   #55
Sarge

There is substantial, ongoing market for several basic types of firearms which are heavily customized after sale. Gun manufacturers understand this.This means you are going to continue to see new 1911's, AR's, fighting shotguns and tack-tickle handguns & gear galore.

I'm in my mid 50's and I've been watching this stuff closely since I was about 12. It used to be custom DA revolvers and I thought Jesus, how many people are going to spend $600 on a $250 thirty-eight? LMAO!
Old September 7, 2013, 09:16 AM   #56
dajowi

"Is that your personal firearm you bought or a stock photo?" It's a stock photo. I didn't even know that Iver Johnson was still around, much less producing 1911s.

"Kimbers arent a great gun to judge anything by." I'll have to disagree with you on this one. My Kimber Eclipse Ultra 3" .45 stainless out of the box shot rings around every .45 I've owned, including the Colts and a Para. I have a Springfield 1911 which is on par with the Kimber for accuracy.
Old September 7, 2013, 12:00 PM   #57
Babychief

Zombie IVER

Top of this page first firearm..look familiar

http://iverjohnsonarms.com/
Old September 7, 2013, 12:09 PM   #58
thedudeabides

I have 5" bushing, 4.25" Commander, 4.25" CCO, 5" bull, 4" bull 1911s.

Each is a unique gun in and of itself and pretty much outperforms anything in its class... they'll also be around 50 years from now when everyone realizes the striker fired tupperware is garbage.

New 1911s just give me something else to shoot.
Old September 7, 2013, 12:29 PM   #59
Babychief

POST PICS OF your 1911s please

1911 are the muscle cars of firearms, they will always have a market.

I think im going to have another custom pair of G-10 MICARTA GRIPS on my IVER.
Whats honest opinion on these grips?

like, dont like ? I just think the owl grips have to go.

Old September 7, 2013, 01:27 PM   #60
arizona98tj

Is anybody else tired of "new" 1911s coming out all the time?

Makes no difference to me what any company brings to the market. If I'm interested, I'll read it, research it, etc. If I'm not interested, I move on to what I am interested in.

Why would it matter to anyone?
Old September 7, 2013, 01:36 PM   #61
Bullcamp82834

No.

But then I don't pay that much attention to 1911 hoopla. Never fell in love with it like so many have. I love the old classics..... Colt SAA, Winchester 1897 pump, ....etc, etc. Just never got a woody over the 1911.
Old September 7, 2013, 03:54 PM   #62
meadams314

Nope. Keep em coming.
Old September 7, 2013, 04:52 PM   #63
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Griping about another variant of the 1911 platform coming out is basically the same as griping about another car model coming out. It's the same base platform as a Model T Ford. Four wheels, engine, transmission, body. Everything else added on/changed is semantics.

Bring on the 1911s!

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old September 7, 2013, 05:24 PM   #64
pete2

I'll never get tired of new 1911 pistols. What strike's me funny is "new" versions of Glocks. They all look the same unless a different color.
Old September 7, 2013, 06:04 PM   #65
dakiwi13

absolutely not

the more options i get to choose from the better. makes the market more competitive and prices go down
Old September 7, 2013, 06:16 PM   #66
dayman

I'm not sick of the variety, but I guess I do get a little sick of - basically -cosmetic changes being treated like major innovations.
Then again, if you "innovated" too much, it wouldn't be a 1911 any more.

They have to publish stories about something though, and a picture of a pretty gun on the front cover sells more copies than a picture of a bottle of innovative CLP, or a innovatively manufactured spring.
When I need real information I come here.
Old September 8, 2013, 03:39 AM   #67
Venom1956

Quote:
Please post pics of what 1911s you collect or compete with i would like to see what brands you own.
Why? I have nothing to prove to you. I am simply stating your opinion is just that.

If someone wants a tight hand fitted 1911 with a hardfit matchgrade barrel with a 30lpi frontstrap made custom just for them then they are gonna need to pay for it. maybe they want a forged steel frame? your Iver lacks that. Thats my point.

For a nice run of the mill 1911 i am sure the Iver johnson is more then fine. I actually like its polished flats quite eye catching when I first saw one. Just as RIA or Rugers or Springers etc. but @ the end of the day it is a mass production 1911. There's nothing wrong with that some people require more.

Also to keep the price down I'm betting its made outside the US much like many of the cheaper 1911s not an issue with me but can be for some.

Kimbers are imho (see opinions we all have them) horribly made 1911s not worth purchasing. They leave their barrels in the white dunno why they have MIM in the wrong places and their CS is horrible from what I understand. Also their "custom shop" is made up. your paying for marketing not quality.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.

Last edited by Venom1956; September 8, 2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old September 8, 2013, 12:18 PM   #68
skoro

Is anybody else tired of "new" 1911s coming out all the time?

Not me.

I have Colts, but I always like to see more 1911s in circulation, regardless of the maker.
Old September 8, 2013, 12:23 PM   #69
dgludwig

Quote:
your paying for marketing not quality.
But you got to admit: Kimber's catalogs are nicer and prettier than anyone else's.
Old September 8, 2013, 01:38 PM   #70
SocialAnarchist

I will never get tired of the 1911. It is my favorite psitol and I am sure I will have more before I am through.

The variety is brand, accessories, and price allows people the choice of an entry level plain Jane gun, all the way up to a fully customized for them pistol.

As for Kimber...A friend and I were out shooting the other day, he with his Kimber and me with my Springfield Loaded. The biggest difference I noticed was the Kimber had a better rear sight than my Loaded. If you like Kimbers you should buy them, if you don't, buy something else. It seems pretty simple.
Old September 8, 2013, 01:40 PM   #71
shortwave

Quote:
But you got to admit: Kimber's catalogs are nicer and prettier than anyone else's.
Yea, but I have such a hard time loading those 'pretty' Kimber catalog's in my better shooting 1911's....and...when I called Kimber CS about the problem, they had no answer.

Last edited by shortwave; September 8, 2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old September 8, 2013, 03:41 PM   #72
Venom1956

Heck if u own a kimber I'm fine with that, I won't give u crap over it, I'll even shoot it and compliment what I like about it. My feelings on them are you're paying to much for their guns when their are superior 1911s in the same price bracket. Especially when u get to the higher up ones.

I've got to hand it to Kimber though they do know how to make a product desirable. How many averages shooters tout Kimber as the best of the best, top of the heap, etc. Most every gun shop carries them and they are one of if not THE most known brand of 1911 (possibly behind colt)
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old September 8, 2013, 03:49 PM   #73
Dragger34

I want to see more double stack .45's with rails.
Old September 9, 2013, 09:51 AM   #74
10mm4ever

While they're not fans of tilting barrels, I'd still love to see the Beretta 1911. The oldest gun mfgr. in the world tends to march to the beat of a different drum.

Last edited by 10mm4ever; September 9, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old September 9, 2013, 03:30 PM   #75
t45

No!!!