The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 7, 2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Red Eye

1st range trip w/new Ruger SR 1911

OK guys and gals; long time lurker here, hardly ever post until today. Just gotta tell somebody about todays shooting.

My son and I went to the range today to try my brand new Ruger SR 1911. We had boxes of factory Federal Match 230 gr FMJ's and several home brew recipes that I made to see what it likes.

First off, I've always been a revolver kind of guy, never even owned any semi auto before; but I figured it was time to see what the 1911 folks are always talking about.

WOW, what a great day and I am impressed with this pistol. It fed and ejected everything, no hiccups at all ( and I'm not a great shot) but we were keeping everything inside a 2" bull at 8 yds off-hand. I love this gun !!!!!!!!!! Out of the loads I made, it really liked 6.3 gr of unigue under a Hornady or Winchester 230 gr FMJ. After all these years ( I'm almost 60) NOW I know what the 1911 crowd is talking about!!!! These are "cool" guns, hope my Super Redhawk doesn't get too jealous LOL.......

Thanks Ruger!!!!!!!!!!!! Love my SR 1911 !!!!!!!!

Besides; nothing better than some father/ son "bonding" time like a great day at the range together ( he's 34)
Old September 7, 2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Rogervzv

Great post Red Eye ... I have heard nothing but terrific reports about the Ruger SR1911. Unfortunately we cannot buy them here in Democrat-occupied California. I own several other 1911s though including three Colts.

There is something about the 1911 platform; it is just a great design by one of histories great designer geniuses, John Moses Browning. Now you see what all the love is about!

Shooting with one's son is one of the great bonding experiences. My son and I enjoy shooting together too.
Old September 8, 2013, 06:45 PM   #3
hootey

Congrads: Did your new Ruger come with a warning label on the box? The one about "1911s can be addictive, sometimes very addictive"
Old September 8, 2013, 07:28 PM   #4
ritepath

^ No but if it's like my SR45 it did come with plenty of other warnings.

Congrats on the Ruger, hope it lasts and lasts.
Old September 8, 2013, 07:32 PM   #5
cobra81

Congrats. They are a blast. I bought the same pistol several months ago, and I thoroughly enjoy it every time I shoot it.
Old September 8, 2013, 07:33 PM   #6
Forrest68

The SR platform is great, I have the SR9C love it, have shot the SR40 and SR22 also great pistols. I am super temped to get the SR45, but I'm guessen it wont be too long down the pike that they release a SR45C. I'll wait and see before pulling the trigger on that purchase. Enjoy your 1911
Old September 8, 2013, 07:46 PM   #7
hodaka

Yep, I put off buying a 1911 for years. I was very skeptical and my dad and granddad were revolver guys. Once I bought one I was hooked. I now have a S&W and a Ruger Commander and both are great. I didn't realize how accurate these pistols are or how good the triggers are. Everyone needs one.
Old September 8, 2013, 08:51 PM   #8
MJFlores

Congrats, I have a Ruger SR-1911 that I really enjoy. Very Accurate, and I have about 450 rounds through it with no failures of any kind. I'm really glad I purchased it.
Old September 11, 2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Rogervzv

Quote:
The SR platform is great, I have the SR9C love it, have shot the SR40 and SR22 also great pistols. I am super temped to get the SR45, but I'm guessen it wont be too long down the pike that they release a SR45C. I'll wait and see before pulling the trigger on that purchase. Enjoy your 1911
Yes, the SR45 is next on my list.