The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 4, 2013, 06:07 AM   #1
spacecoast

Stubborn 1911 magazines - break-in?

I'm planning to shoot a match this weekend so I wanted to make sure my ammo will go through my new Springfield Range Officer without issue. I found that the supplied Springfield magazines are VERY hard to load with my 200 gr. LSWCs - the follower was sticking repeatedly going down the length of the mag, and the springs seemed extremely tight, even though I usually don't have any problems loading mags on other semis with just my fingers.

I used the end of a plastic pen to run the follower up and down repeatedly inside the mags to put a little wear on them (hopefully removing any burrs) and managed to get them both functioning to the point where I don't think they are going to hang, but they are still really tough to load. I emptied each of them using the gun a few times. Rounds seem to strip off cleanly and the gun goes into battery just fine.

Is this standard behavior for new 1911 magazines? I hesitate to try any lubricant on them.
Old September 4, 2013, 06:17 AM   #2
1911Tuner

re:

Seat the bullets .010 inch deeper.
Old September 4, 2013, 06:33 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

My Springfield TRP's mags were always a bit on the tough side to load. I still use them, and they are still tight, but I eventually up graded to Chip McCormick mags because of it.

Chip McCormick makes great mags, they are easier to load and run flawless in my TRP.

So, to answer your question, not all mags are like that at first. Springfield makes great 1911s but I wasn't impressed with their mags.
Old September 4, 2013, 06:39 AM   #4
WC145

I've never had an issue loading 1911 mags. If you can disassemble them, do so and clean them out. I like to use a little bit of spray graphite lock lubricant in my mags, it dries completely and isn't sticky so it doesn't collect dust - spray it in, run the follower up and down, let it dry, work the follower a few more times. Works great for me.

BTW, have you tried that ammo in your gun to make sure it feeds right?
“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”
Old September 4, 2013, 06:55 AM   #5
spacecoast

Quote:
BTW, have you tried that ammo in your gun to make sure it feeds right?
It runs through by manually cycling the slide without issue, and I've never had a problem with it in my P345 or in another borrowed Colt 1911. We'll see...

Quote:
Seat the bullets .010 inch deeper.
They are seated to 1.25" and have adequate clearance. I also run everything through my Lee FCD to ensure fit width-wise.

Quote:
I like to use a little bit of spray graphite lock lubricant in my mags
Good idea, I think I have some of that around.
Old September 4, 2013, 06:59 AM   #6
MJFlores

Yeah I was going to say, if you can pop them apart I'd clean them good with Ballistol, then wipe them nice and dry in and out. This should make them nice and slick and should last quite a while.
Old September 4, 2013, 05:02 PM   #7
BigJimP

No, its not typical with good mags.....

However, take them apart - and check for burrs, or crud in the tubes...clean them very well - and make sure they're dry / and use just a little bit of lube that won't leave any residue and you should be fine.

( and order some mags from Wilson Combat )...
Old September 4, 2013, 06:34 PM   #8
spacecoast

Thanks for the replies, I found a video for taking apart and cleaning the mags and I was surprised at the amount of "dirt" I was able to collect on a clean patch (considering they are new). The first few rounds are definitely going in easier now, so I am optimistic that a few more cycles in the gun will make these manageable, and hopefully reliable. We'll start off with 30 shots of Slow Fire on Saturday, of course, three cycles of each mag, and that will give them a little more exercise before function really counts for something.

Last edited by spacecoast; September 4, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old September 4, 2013, 06:45 PM   #9
BigJimP

and remember to keep cleaning those mags....about every 500 rds or so...it only takes a few mintues per mag ( its a good rainy day project ) !
Old September 4, 2013, 11:03 PM   #10
DaleA

I've not had a problem with .45 magazines in my 1911 pistol. Probably because I use old gun show GI magazines that are old and 'broken in' but hey, they are still working.

Also I have a lot less problem loading large .45 ACP rounds than I've had when I've tried smaller caliber pistols. I had a chance to shoot a new Ruger LCP .380 and it was a little challenging loading those rounds.

Something I've always wondered about is the LULA magazine loader. It's got tons of five star reviews. As I age, one of these may be in my future.

http://www.maglula.com/PistolMagLoaders.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3gvud7nssw_b
Old September 4, 2013, 11:10 PM   #11
DaleA

I've not had a problem with .45 magazines in my 1911 pistol. Probably because I use old gun show GI magazines that are old and 'broken in' but hey, they are still working.

Also I have a lot less problem loading large .45 ACP rounds than I've had when I've tried smaller caliber pistols. I had a chance to shoot a new Ruger LCP .380 and it was a little challenging loading those little rounds.

Something I've always wondered about is the LULA magazine loader. It's got tons of five star reviews. As I age, one of these may be in my future.

http://www.maglula.com/PistolMagLoaders.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3gvud7nssw_b
Old September 4, 2013, 11:22 PM   #12
3.Shot.Group.

It doesn't say how much they cost. I saw something similar at the gun shot today, it was $29.99. Not sure I want to spend that much to load one round at a time. If it would hold all of them, and I could click them right in click click click click click click click, then I'd probably get one.
Old September 6, 2013, 04:57 PM   #13
Opinated

Once one develops the rhythm and technique, the LULA may prove to be the fastest of the magazine loaders. But it requires two good working hands.
Never needed it with any of my 1911 magazines. But high capacity 9mm is another story.
Old September 6, 2013, 05:31 PM   #14
Babychief

Plastic or metal followers???

Need way more info on mags.

Are they split foot like old Colts or is it radiused?
Metal or plastic followers?
Base plate removable?

Load 5 cartridges stick a skinny allen in one of the window holes to keep speing compressed, unload and remove follower, take a pair of dial bore guage and measure the interior width the entire length and see if it bottle necks somewhere in mag where its "sticking", could be manufacturing issue.if it is follower is plastic take a piece of 2000grit and lay follower on its side and make figure 8 motions on each side a few times, equally to keep it bilaterally symmetrical.
Wipe hoppes oil on with finger around follower.

If metal mark with your misses lipstick, reinstall push down with pen a few times, remove follower and see where its rubbing.

Ive had mag issues alot as you can tell.

Spend the $$$ chip mccormick or meggar non split foot mags, problem solved
Old September 7, 2013, 12:41 PM   #15
spacecoast

Very good news on the magazines today...

Between 5 sighting rounds and a full Bullseye match, a total of 95 rounds went through the gun flawlessly, 65 using 200 gr. LSWCs and 30 with 185 gr. LSWCs. The mag springs are starting to loosen up and the mags are steadily getting easier to load. Each magazine fed 5 rounds into the gun at least 9 times without a hitch.

Babychief -

I'm not sure if this pic answers your question about the mag design, but here is a pic of the follower. The baseplate is not removable, so I had to remove the follower and spring from the top of the mag to clean everything. The followers are metal and the entire mag is blued.

Last edited by spacecoast; September 7, 2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old September 8, 2013, 06:40 PM   #16
jad0110

IMHO, the Springfield / Metalform 7 rounders are actually quite good, except I know a few years back folks complained the springs were on the weak side. I replaced my springs with Wolfs and I have had no mag related issues.