taylorce1- all I can say is WOW!

keg- whatever you like, that isn't a belted mag, personally if I had that
action I would opt for a 9.3x62, only cause I have dreams of So. Africa
but 35 Whelen, 280 Remington, or 25-06 come to mind, depends on your
likes.
Old September 4, 2013, 02:53 AM   #27
Keg

Taylorce1..yes..mighty nice! I probablly won't do that one....hahaa

HIBC.. HiTech Specialties..I will check out their stocks....And I do like a model 70 type safety....

SteveNchunter...Thanks for the pic and info...Both ends of the spectrum here....

Last edited by Keg; September 4, 2013 at 03:02 AM.
Old September 4, 2013, 05:24 AM   #28
lt dan

Seeing as it is a Mauser go 8x68 or even 300H&H.
Old September 4, 2013, 08:24 AM   #29
taylorce1

High Tech (Bansner) stocks are nice, my daughter has one on her .250 Savage mini Mauser. However, unless you can finish them yourself they aren't going to save you a whole lot when compared to other stocks like McMillan. Cheapest option going right now would be a Boyd's stock for your Mauser.

Look up Wisner two position safety kit, it gives the look of a three position M70 safety but it only has the two, and it modifies the existing bolt shroud. Contact a gunsmith by the name of Jim Kobe, he usually has some already made up and you can trade in your old bolt shroud toward his modified 98 shrouds. Other than that from talking with other Gunsmiths Ed Lapour makes the best three position safety, with Gentry or NEGC coming in second, and to avoid the Dakota.

Another options since the receiver hasn't been drilled and tapped and modified in any way is to take it back to original. Find a NOS barrel in 5.65X53 and a stock, and shoot it as original. I realize that maybe isn't what you want to do with it, but even with it as a non-numbers matching military rifle it will have more value down the road than a sporter rifle.

Unless you are willing to spend the money having it made a custom rifle by a "known" master gunsmith of our era, then it isn't going to be worth more than $300-400 when you are done with it. Unfortunately even if you have all that work done it will only be about 1/2 of what you spent on it to get it made a custom. However you'd have an heirloom rifle to pass down to your family, which is always cool.
Old September 4, 2013, 04:02 PM   #30
sc928porsche

If you are looking for wood, try Richards Microfit. I have used them for many years. They have a large variety of woods, grades, and styles. You should be able to spot something that you like. I would suggest you stay clear of their factory 2nds.
Old September 4, 2013, 05:26 PM   #31
cornbush

I've got a brand new Douglas premium .458 Win mag barrel I'll make you a good deal on if you want big boomer......
Old September 5, 2013, 12:05 AM   #32
Keg

Quote:
High Tech (Bansner) stocks are nice, my daughter has one on her .250 Savage mini Mauser. However, unless you can finish them yourself they aren't going to save you a whole lot when compared to other stocks like McMillan. Cheapest option going right now would be a Boyd's stock for your Mauser.
I'll bet that 250 mini is sweet....

Quote:
I've got a brand new Douglas premium .458 Win mag barrel I'll make you a good deal on if you want big boomer......
Thanks but will pass on the 458....

I make lots of gun shows..gun shops..pawn shops..etc....So I pick up lots of different things here and there....My 220 Swift was like this....It took me a couple years to get the parts together....Not as pretty as many..but I like it....$550 without the scope..total investment....I think I could get my money back on it....Probably not this new project tho....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1234%20130.jpg (121.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 1234%20131.jpg (140.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1234%20133.jpg (121.1 KB, 12 views)
Old September 5, 2013, 01:41 AM   #33
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I'll have to pass on that too, I already HAVE a .458 Win Mag built on a 1909 Argentine action!