The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 30, 2013, 06:13 AM   #1
DealHunter

Ruger American 22lr/22wmr

http://www.ruger.com/products/americ...ire/index.html

I've never tried their full size model but have been looking for a cheaper .22 mag bolt gun.

Not sure I'd get the first iteration (don't like being a beta tester for gun makers) but it seems like a fair price if the quality is there (competition for the entry level Marlins/Savages).

On a side note, would .22 mag lose much with the 18 vs the 22 inch barrel since my understanding was that they were usually loaded with slower burning powders?
Old August 30, 2013, 07:17 AM   #2
Picher

Have you looked at Savages?

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
People are like rifles. Some are tried and true, having great eyes, personality, and fun to be with. Others never seem to hit the mark with you. Still others go off half-cocked. Still, it's nice to know most of them.
Old August 30, 2013, 07:32 AM   #3
GunDude123

If I was going to pick a bolt action .22 I would go with the Ruger American Rimfire. Just im waiting to see what happens with it. Maybe in a year they will offer target variants. If you have to have a gun now I would go with the Savage MkII.
Old August 30, 2013, 02:30 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Quote:
On a side note, would .22 mag lose much with the 18 vs the 22 inch barrel since my understanding was that they were usually loaded with slower burning powders?
You won't lose enough to matter, if anything at all.
Even with a 16" barrel, performance would still be largely unaffected.

Almost every .22 WMR load on the market is optimized for a 10" to 14" barrel.
(Winchester is at the longer end of that spectrum, ArmsCor is somewhere in the middle, and CCI [everything else] is at the short end.)
Old August 30, 2013, 05:24 PM   #5
MattShlock

You won't LOSE anything. The .22 Mag maximizes at about 18 or 19 inches -- after that it will not gain and probably lose velocity. My custom truck gun in that caliber is 18-1/2" to squeeze out every standard bit of power, maximize quiet, and minize flash.
Old August 30, 2013, 06:11 PM   #6
PetahW

You'd be waaaay too late to be a beta tester - a few, over on rimfirecentral have already BT, DT.

They report crappy triggers, bumpy bbl exteriors & so-so accuracy - besides the less then purdy stock (There are diff interchangeable BP's available)

Old August 30, 2013, 10:28 PM   #7
steveNChunter

Just judging by reviews it seems like the Savage MKII has it beat in .22lr. And for less money. If you want a .22 mag, the Savage 93 seems to be a better rifle at roughly the same price point. But having not held a RA-Rimfire myself I can't make that claim with absolute certainty.
Old August 30, 2013, 11:26 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Quote:
They report crappy triggers, bumpy bbl exteriors & so-so accuracy
The handful of reviews I've seen show good results when real (quality) ammunition is used - rather than bottom-of-the-barrel bulk packs.

Two of the reviewers on RFC actually had fantastic results for a "budget" out-of-the-box rimfire, averaging less than 1.5 MoA across more than 10 loads tested; and having some come in at 1/2 MoA or less.
Old August 31, 2013, 09:22 AM   #9
TMW89

Savage Mkll is the way to go. I have the pretty basic "F" model and for $200 with a nice accutrigger, its hard to beat. I love it. I would like it even better if it was the "FVSR". Which is the heavy, fluted barrel, tactical, sweet version for around $300
1942 Mosin Nagant "Natalia"
Old September 9, 2013, 04:13 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

DealHunter,
I thought you may be interested to know that a gentleman on RFC tested his 18" American .22 WMR against a 22" Marlin XT .22 WMR.

The results are in post #5 of this thread: Final Chapter.

Summary:
He lost 13 fps with Dynapoints, lost 23 fps with CCI 40 gr TMJs, and 'gained' 1 fps with CCI 40 gr JHPs.
As far as I'm concerned, those are all well within the standard deviation of those loads. So, you can look at it as no change in the velocity.
Old September 9, 2013, 04:33 PM   #11
Pahoo

Follow the leader !!!

The completion gets hot. First, Savage introduces their new .22 rifle with a rotary mag. Now Ruger comes out with a Savage clone with some special features. The Ruger American is also in competition with it's own 77/22 which has gotten pricey. Until I get to see a new American, I'll stick with tried and proven Savage. My last one was a 93, .22Mag and it has turned out to be a real tack driver, out of the box, including the trigger. .....

Question;
Do you fellas think that the new American will raise or lower the resale value of the 77/22? ....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 9, 2013, 11:11 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

Savage clone?
It has a totally different receiver design.
It has a totally different bolt design.
It uses Ruger's proven magazine design (that they've been using since 1964 for everything from .22 LR to .44 Mag).
And, it doesn't require adult assistance for a child to close the action, like Savage's cock-on-closing B-Mag.

Just because it's a 'basic' bolt action in a synthetic stock, doesn't mean it is a clone of anything. That's just what today's budget rifles have to be, to be profitable for the manufacturers.

It's also very likely that this rifle was in development for 3+ years -- long enough that Savage's announcement of the B-Mag had nothing to do with it.

Both rifles have their pros and cons, and their place in the market. But neither is a 'clone' of anything.

---
Short-term, I don't think the 77/22 will be impacted.
Mid-term, I think 77/22 prices might drop a bit as some 77/22 owners sell theirs, in favor of the synthetic stocked American.
Long-term... who knows.
Old September 10, 2013, 05:58 AM   #13
DealHunter

Quote:
DealHunter,
I thought you may be interested to know that a gentleman on RFC tested his 18" American .22 WMR against a 22" Marlin XT .22 WMR.
Thanks, actually wound up finding one in 22 wmr and brought it home. Action is pretty smooth surprisingly (I have a Marlin 17hmr and a Savage .22lr and it compares well though my CZs are smoother), picked up a few different brands of ammo and after giving it a thorough cleaning (and maybe putting a box of cheap dynapoints through it) I'll see how it fares this weekend...