The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 30, 2013, 05:16 AM   #1
rotten mick

liberty USM4 9mm ammo. Anyone?

Liberty USM4.
Been seening this online and a few places in town. 50gr copper frang ammo. Claims 1800fps or better out of a 4" barrel with 12"-15" gel penetration and 4"-5" cavity. While I'm not a fan.... scratch that... I dont like frang ammo as SD, this stuff got me interested.
Any of you tried or thinking about trying it?
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.
Old August 30, 2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Theohazard

I don't know much about that ammo per se, but it looks like just another one of those "super" loads that pushes a lightweight, frangible bullet at very high velocities and appears to perform well in ballistics gel tests, but not always in the real world.

There's a couple of problems with those. First, the bullet is often made from a pressed-together materiel so it will fragment in soft tissue or through walls. But this materiel is also usually much more susceptible to moisture: I had a friend who carried some RCBD ammo for about a year and when he went to shoot it his gun blew up after four rounds. It turned out that moisture had infiltrated the case and caused the kaboom.

The other problem is that the bullet often performs unreliably through heavy clothing and is much more easily deflected by bone and such. I'm sure there are times when a super-fast, super-lightweight, frangible 9mm bullet outperforms a more traditional hollow point, but this performance tends to be less reliable.

There's a reason why almost all federal and state law enforcement agencies use more traditional hollow points.
Old August 30, 2013, 10:17 AM   #3
allaroundhunter

liberty USM4 9mm ammo. Anyone?

It might perform that well in a gel test, but it is a bad choice for SD. It is not a properly constructed defensive round, and it will have problems with terminal performance unless you are shooting at an attacker made of jello who isn't wearing any clothes.

Moral of the story: Unless you live in candy land, I would pass.

Besides, there is plenty of proper 9mm defensive ammo available.