The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 23, 2013, 03:57 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The gunwriter John Barsness made the point that with the angled action screw on rugers that glass bedding wasn't needed. So we'll see.
I believe that... somewhat.
The problem lies in the stock wood. If Ruger used a piece of wood with a weak spot, or over-torqued the front action screw at the factory (not uncommon), the stock gets crushed and will almost never provide decent accuracy without corrective action. Of course, crushing the stock by over-torquing it is something someone is perfectly capable of doing at home, as well.

Even if you end up with a rifle where that is the case, it shouldn't be difficult to correct. Just add a pillar to the front screw, and clean up all the 'fuzz' and long wood fibers in the inletting. Allowing the action to seat cleanly and solidly does wonders.

--
Fixing the 'crushed' section up front will also usually fix magazine/floor plate/trigger guard alignment problems. Large gaps between the trigger guard and floor plate can be an indicator that the front screw has been over-torqued and caused stock damage.
Old August 24, 2013, 02:18 PM   #27
dgludwig

I think the op made the right decision. Best accuracy between the two rifles in question will probably be, as AllenJ opined, a "crapshoot". I've used Ruger bolt-action rifles (Model 77s and MKIIs) since the early seventies and have never had a problem with any of them. I like the ruggedness and dependability of the Ruger and if you want a 3-position safety, crf, built-in mount (with scope rings included) and a Mauser-like extractor, the choice (as opposed to the otherwise fine Remington Model 700) has to be a Ruger.
Old August 25, 2013, 11:55 PM   #28
BIG P

I like them both, but its pretty hard to beat a Ruger MKII SS. as a truck gun. It tuff as nails Great scope mounts & locks. I've took a lot animals from ground hogs,yotes,hogs,deer & black bear with mine.I cull for a couple large farms mines in & out of the truck as much as my boots are. Mines just a 25-06 Ruger MKII SS. But if it gets any better I DONT CARE.
Old August 26, 2013, 12:19 AM   #29
Lucas McCain

I have a couple old ruger rifles, one is a dog leg bolt 22-250 and one is a mark II in 7X57. The only problem I have with these rifles is the trigger, very bad triggers and there isn't a good replacement trigger made for them. I also detest their scope mount system
The Remington on the other hand has plenty of options for triggers and they are drilled and tapped enabling many different scope mounting options.
Old August 26, 2013, 05:19 AM   #30
Old Stony

I have another Ruger in .350 Rem. mag and I replaced the trigger with a Timney. It is very nice now, and the trigger installation was quick and easy.

Last edited by Old Stony; August 26, 2013 at 05:29 AM.