The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 23, 2013, 08:49 AM   #1
garryc

Ruger P95 failure/ Ruger Service Failure

The Ruger P95 has one common issue. Many of them got out of the factory with extractors that were not properly heat treated. That causes the extractor to loose tension. Sometimes the round is left in the chamber, other times it is laying in the action, because it slipped off the extractor, and locks it up.
The representative told me that they do not warrant firing foreign ammunition. I told him it has fired Fiochhi, Sellier and Bellot but mostly WWB. It happens equally with all three. Also it happened when I fired a mag of Hornady Critical Defense, twice in the one mag. All extraction problems, the extractor not holding the round.

And yes, before you ask, when you slide the rim under the extractor there is not enough tension.

I can't believe I put my life on the line for this crap! I guess I'll go to Springfield XD and to hell with Ruger.

Quote:
I contacted the number. I was told I would have to purchase the part or send the gun to you at my expense. The most common complaint with the P95 is FTE'S and all I want is the part, for you to back up your product without me jumping through hoops or taking cash out of my pocket for a common failure of one of your products. Clearly the cost of shipping is what keeps the load on your service department down.

This P95 was my off duty weapon in the winter. Little did I know that it was a dangerous gun (An FTE in combat is a dangerous gun).

Your representative stated that because I use Fiocchi ammunition it isn't covered. That is crap and you know it. If that slide comes back and the case is not attached to it well enough to be ejected then it is a part failure. I do not appreciate your company trying to wiggle around the issue.

You used to have a stellar reputation for customer support, I guess that isn't so anymore. Count me a a disgruntled customer who will never put Ruger at the top of the list again. And one who will tell others the truth of your service. 35 years of buying Ruger is over.

Ruger P95 Stainless ***-****
Old August 23, 2013, 10:35 AM   #2
ritepath

Why don't we have sidearm wars like the AR guys do?

I have one ruger I trust to save lives...all others (5 or 6 maybe 7) are just for fun, including my SR45.
Old August 23, 2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Fishbed77

Not sure how that e-mail is going to help you. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Just saying.
Old August 23, 2013, 10:49 AM   #4
garryc

I'm stepping over to a 5" tactical XD in 40s+w. I am big enough to conceal that under a jacket with no issue. Vertical Shoulder Holster, no one, even in church has ever noticed the Ruger, I don't think they will the XD either.
Old August 23, 2013, 12:37 PM   #5
ritepath

What side of the chart is the XD on

I can hardly conceal my LCP in church in a pocket holster. Of course I always wear shorts of the summer. Winter I switch to a fobus holster under a fleese pullover.

Considering recent event's I'm thinking of switching to a 642 (or a xds type auto)
Old August 23, 2013, 08:03 PM   #6
passtime

I am not questioning your post but that just doesn't sound right. I mean on the Ruger end of it. I would call them back. I must agree with Fishbed77 on the honey and vinegar thing. The first time I called Ruger CS I had a problem with the Rep. I can't remember exactly what it was about but what they were telling me did not compute. I let the rep finish up and I said thank you and promptly called right back. The Rep. I got the second time was very helpful and gladly solved the problem. Oh yeah, it had something to do with a defective magazine. The first rep was no help at all. Ruger has gone out of their way more than once for me. Yep, just don't sound right. I'd call them back. Good luck.
Old August 23, 2013, 09:51 PM   #7
.38Catt

My Current P95 has been great. I did have one that had the issues with the ejector as described. Ruger sent me a new ejector. My interaction with them has been great over all. There was one time I called about which solvents are safe to use on the P95, and the answer was not exactly a confidence builder. Otherwise, I give their CS an A+. I suggest politely explaining the situation and asking them to mail you a new extractor.

garryc, do you happen to know when the run of bad ejectors happened? As said, the P95 I bought this spring has been flawless.

Regards,

Matt
Old August 23, 2013, 10:00 PM   #8
DenverGP

Additionally regarding the comments about the warranty not covering foreign ammo... Ruger has no warranty. But they have never failed to fix any issue, completely free, for myself or anyone I know with a ruger firearm.

But I suppose not having any true warranty is handy for those cases where the customer is rude or unreasonable.
Old August 23, 2013, 10:16 PM   #9
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
I can't remember exactly what it was about but what they were telling me did not compute. I let the rep finish up and I said thank you and promptly called right back. The Rep. I got the second time was very helpful and gladly solved the problem. Oh yeah, it had something to do with a defective magazine. The first rep was no help at all. Ruger has gone out of their way more than once for me. Yep, just don't sound right. I'd call them back. Good luck.
Totally Agree^^^^

I can't tell you haw many times (more so lately) that I have run across a rep who lacks the skills or knowledge to get someone who does.

Old fashioned as I may be I realize that there are lazy people who represent a good company badly. I just call back to get someone else and usually get the problem solved.

I never knew that the ejectors on the P95 had this issue, good to know.

My classic P89 9mm and P90 45acp work flawlessly. Thankful for that.

The 9mm is my range and the 45 is my carry.
Old August 23, 2013, 11:06 PM   #10
comn-cents

Never heard of an extractor problem with p95's must be internet thing.
Old August 24, 2013, 07:05 AM   #11
K_Mac

Quote:
I can't tell you haw many times (more so lately) that I have run across a rep who lacks the skills or knowledge to get someone who does.

Old fashioned as I may be I realize that there are lazy people who represent a good company badly. I just call back to get someone else and usually get the problem solved.
Well said. I would not let one rep who may have been having a bad day form my opinion of a company with the reputation and history of Ruger. There are knot heads everywhere...

"If you let "need" be a requirement and Government be the arbiter of that "need", then Liberty is as dead as King Tut." Jimbob86
Old August 24, 2013, 08:16 AM   #12
MJFlores

You're not telling us how old your gun is, how many rounds it's seen, etc. A new gun Ruger will gladly take back and fixed for free. Extractor springs wear out...if it's got a ton of rounds through it and is 15 years old I dont think paying for shipping or having to buy an extractor and spring (probably $10) is out of line. Again, Ruger has an excellent track record for quality products and great customer service so, if they got it in their hands and did find an actual defect they wouldn't charge you for it. Sounds like you've already made up your mind so maybe just go sell all your Rugers? Guns generally don't come with life time parts replacement guarantees...you just have to expect to replace things such as extractor springs, recoil springs, firing pins, etc. I even expect to change the barrels at some point, and have due to wear. Again, Ruger is still fixing parts on some models that are over 30 years old because they identified a defect and want to make it right.
Old August 24, 2013, 08:28 AM   #13
MJFlores

V01406 Extractor - P93, P95 Blued
Item Number: 62123
Unit Price: $17.00
In Stock

http://shopruger.com/V01406-Extracto...uctinfo/62123/

This will get you going.

While ordering, I'd also get this:

http://shopruger.com/V00902-Ejector-...uctinfo/62111/ $5.00

If it were me I'd also get an outer and inner recoil spring but that's up to you.
Old August 24, 2013, 08:37 AM   #14
MJFlores

Not to stay on the thread any longer than needed, but this is exactly why we take our carry weapons to the range on a regular basis. We're not there just making noise, and punching holes in paper. We're testing our equipment and looking for performance issues to crop up, magazines to start having feed issues, and parts to start acting up. Identifying them at the range rather than when something goes bump in the night is the biggest part of why you're there at the range in the first place. It sounds like everything went perfectly here...you were at the range, and identified an extraction issue so it can be repaired BEFORE the firearm is needed as a defense weapon. I know it sucks that you have a parts issue, but look at it this way...you identified it at the perfect time, and it's a cheap part at worst, and may even be replaced for free as long as the gun isn't too old, it's taken care of, etc. I would look at this as a win if I were you.
Old August 24, 2013, 10:01 AM   #15
garryc

They are now sending me a new extractor.

I am 6' 1" and weigh 255 pounds. A full size auto in a shoulder holster is not an issue. I don't wear tight fitting clothes. I don't want to introduce temptation to the ladies! LOL
Old August 24, 2013, 02:37 PM   #16
.38Catt

Never heard of an extractor problem with p95's must be internet thing.

Kind of what I was thinking. I had some problems with one of my three P95, and thought it was most likely the extractor. The Rep on the phone agreed, and they sent me a new extractor. I traded that one in on someting else eventually, but my current p95 has been great as stated.

I have to think that Ruger would take some corrective action if a bad batch was made.
Old August 24, 2013, 04:27 PM   #17
spacecoast

I bought my P95 way back in 2009 and it's been a really solid pistol, the only issue I had with it was that I started to get some failures at a tactical pistol training class after about 200 of my reloads had gone through it. Fortunately I had my P345 there for backup (same holster fits both) and I finished with that.

I put 40 flawless one-handed rounds through my P95 just this morning. Total round count is over 2,000 and it still looks LNIB.
Old August 24, 2013, 05:51 PM   #18
James K
Staff

Maybe I am wrong, but isn't the P95 extractor the same as the extractor for the P85 and a whole raft of other Rugers? Has the same problem shown up on any other guns?

Jim
Old August 24, 2013, 06:53 PM   #19
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Maybe I am wrong, but isn't the P95 extractor the same as the extractor for the P85 and a whole raft of other Rugers? Has the same problem shown up on any other guns?
P93 and P95 as listed. http://shopruger.com/V01406-Extracto...uctinfo/62123/

Heard about this lately http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f...m-fixed-25389/
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=134265

I understand that there is a fix without buying a new one by bending it , but if what I have read is correct it will just bend again because it is a metal issue.

Heard the same issue arose in the 97.
Old August 24, 2013, 10:23 PM   #20
railroader

The extractors come out easy. They are just spring steel so you can tweak them and put right back in. I was shooting in desert one day and a guy out there was having all kinds of extraction problems with his p94. I did the tweak on his gun and it ran fine. To get the extractor out remove the slide and barrel. Push the extractor out away from the slide with a small screw driver while you slide it forward and it will come right out of the channel. Bend the extractor slightly then slide it back in until it clicks into place.
Old August 25, 2013, 09:43 AM   #21
keninnavarre

If it were my gun, and depending on age and round count, I would just order an extractor and be done with it. I wouldnt waste the time and frustration on calls and emails.

I will usually go this route with any problem with guns unless it is new or nearly new. I've sent a total of one firearm back to factory for repairs, a Colt AR in 9mm that wouldnt fire straight out of the box.
Old August 25, 2013, 01:59 PM   #22
Apple a Day

Wow. I have two P95s each with >1K through them and neither has had any problems. I did have an issue with a rifle I bought used and Ruger CS was stellar.
Old August 25, 2013, 05:17 PM   #23
Wreck-n-Crew

Extractors are relatively cheap: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...95DC-35141.htm

From Ruger: http://shopruger.com/KV01406-Extract...uctinfo/62022/