The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 5, 2013, 09:14 PM   #26
KyJim

Nice looking pistol Mystro. BTW, neither the Sig P238 nor the Colt Mustang are 1911 pistols (as others have pointed out). They use a Hi-Power-like linkless cam where the 1911 uses a barrel link. The 1911 uses a grip safety and the Sig/Mustang do not.

The Sig P238 has both a firing pin block and a hammer safety to prevent the gun from being fired unless the trigger is pulled. The FP block keeps the firing pin from hitting the cartridge primer if the pistol is dropped. Thus, the pistol can be safely carried either cocked and locked or hammer down with one caveat. The user must maintain trigger discipline but this is true for any gun. Don't stick the finger in the trigger guard until the muzzle is pointed at what you want to shoot.

Depending upon mode of carry, the user will either have to cock the hammer or depress the safety lever (or both) in a highly stressful situation. For me, it is easier and more natural to disengage the safety than to cock the hammer. YMMV.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old August 17, 2013, 06:53 AM   #27
Jimmy10mm

Late to the party but I carry a P238 condition 1 when I carry it. Preferring an IWB clip holster to the pocket. I have an HD so it is all steel and a bit heavy for the pocket. I have condfidence that the safety is dependable. Just hope I remember to thumb it down if the omelet ever hits the fan and I have to use it.
Old August 17, 2013, 09:39 AM   #28
MJFlores

In the picture, the safety is ON.

Unless you have a decocking lever, dropping the hammer on a live chamber is asking for trouble. Training isn't an excuse to act recklessly.
Old August 17, 2013, 10:12 AM   #29
Tomac

My wife had a P238 for her CCW but neither of us was fully comfortable w/the idea of her having to find/manipulate the small safety under stress.
This led us to the P238's replacements: a SIG P250sc .380 (slide is easy to rack but it's larger/heavier than the P238) and a Kahr P380 (slide is difficult to rack but it's smaller/lighter than the P238).
Both have long but smooth/light DAO-style triggers so no manual safety to worry about under stress.
Tomac
Old August 19, 2013, 02:12 AM   #30
tipoc

Quote:
...BTW, neither the Sig P238 nor the Colt Mustang are 1911 pistols (as others have pointed out). They use a Hi-Power-like linkless cam where the 1911 uses a barrel link. The 1911 uses a grip safety and the Sig/Mustang do not.
They also have an entirely different trigger which is hinged at the top.

These are good guns which can be safely carried in several ways. Some are preferable to others in some situations. It's useful to learn the different modes of carry and apply them as needed.

tipoc
Old August 23, 2013, 08:02 PM   #31
Peter M. Eick

This thread forced me to re-evaluate my carry approach.

I now carry my 238 cocked and locked.

Thank you to those who educated me on the errors of my ways.