The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 21, 2013, 10:13 PM   #26
Mausermolt

Yes Walt, my reloads work just fine in every other 45 i used them with
Old August 21, 2013, 10:15 PM   #27
Mausermolt

also i have a 7 round mag aside from the original 6 round that came with the pistol that does the same thing, so that rules out the mag issue
Old August 22, 2013, 02:40 AM   #28
745SW

I think the issue could be the use of plated bullets and using the reloading data for a lead bullet. I assume the reloading data is that of Speer. The following is a suggestion.

I’ve experimented in the distant past using the same load with a change of bullet type only, the weight is the same. A jacketed bullet will have less felt recoil impulse then that of lead. Consequently, I think, the pressure buildup within the barrel is higher with lead than jacketed. The jacketed (gliding metal) bullet moves down the barrel with less friction than lead.

Use the original load data with the intended components, lead bullet, or up the powder charge closer to that of a jacketed bullet. I say this because, offhand, I know of no load data using plated bullets from known component makers.
Old August 22, 2013, 09:20 PM   #29
engineer88

Okay, I read the whole thread and there is some fantastic reloading information here, but no one mentioned magazine yet. Have you disassembled the mag and checked for the correct orientation of the spring, or heck, just tried a different mag? I would also suggest checking the chamber for imperfections. One little piece of metal poking up can ruin an otherwise great automatic. Also, check the length/sharpness on the extractor claw or have Kahr send you another. My money is on barrel ingress "throat" width or a chamber burr. Good luck either way.

On the extractor, remember a good extractor fit needs to pinch the rim fairly firmly. Too much space and it can slip the rim at the last second, especially with a tight throat or weak brass and bulging.
Old August 23, 2013, 01:34 AM   #30
Mausermolt

engineer read my last post. ive tried 2 different mags with same result
Old August 23, 2013, 07:50 AM   #31
Walt Sherrill

I'd think that if it were a magazine issue, the problem would likely be more frequent than just once in a while. The rounds are loading properly. It's extraction that's causing problems.

For some reason, that gun doesn't like the OP's hand loads -- as there is no functional problem with factory ammo in different loads/weights.

I suspect there's something irregular about some of the handloads being fired that is causing the problem. (I write this despite the fact that the ammo seems OK in other guns; it must be a quirk of that load/that gun.)

The extractor is still an issue that hasn't been addressed. If if were my gun, I'd just order a replacement extractor and spring (or the entire extractor assembly) as the next step -- parts 24 (the extractor), 25, 26 (the spring), and or 27.

Before doing any of this, however, I would certainly talk with Kahr Customer Service. In my dealings with them, they've been very helpful. (I've had a P9 and have a CM9, now.) I had problems with the P9's extractor, and they sent a new one free.