The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 20, 2013, 09:31 PM   #26
Vermonter

Phew

If a fella starts a gunfight with me I want him to have one of these.
Old August 20, 2013, 09:45 PM   #27
James K
Staff

You might be dead. The shop where I worked sold a lot of those guns, and the boss didn't want to send anything back (too long a wait, and then it might not be fixed). So I got the job of fixing the ones that didn't work, but first I test fired to see what was wrong. In well over half, it was simple operator error; the guns worked OK. I would not depend on one for my own defense, nor recommend them, but if someone points one at me, I am not going to assume it won't work.

Jim
Old August 21, 2013, 07:35 AM   #28
Skans

Quote:
In well over half, it was simple operator error;
James, I find it interesting that you worked on a number of these guns. If you don't mind, can you share some of the "operator errors" you encountered, as well as actual problems that you were able to fix?
Old August 21, 2013, 08:15 AM   #29
9mmsnoopy

It will make a cool paperweight.
Bushmaster AR15
Old August 21, 2013, 02:24 PM   #30
James K
Staff

Hi, Skans,

About anything you can think of from trying to load .32 S&W into a .32 ACP to trying to load the rounds in magazine backwards (they kept popping back out, obviously a problem with the gun). Other problems were taking the gun apart and either losing the parts or not knowing how to put them back together.

Legitimate problems were failures to feed, fire, extract, eject, the usual. The biggest general problem was weak springs. I am sure that (like most other gun makers) the SNS companies bought their springs, but went for cheap and it took only a short time for the springs to weaken and the failures to crop up. As I have said, the designs were generally not bad. Made of decent steel machined castings and with good springs, those guns would (I think) have been good guns, but the goal was not to make good guns, it was to make guns to sell for $29.95 (or whatever it was at the time), and still have a good dealer markup. You figure what the guns actually cost, but I suspect it was around $5-6.

Jim
Old August 21, 2013, 02:39 PM   #31
Sevens

No clue what the costs were, but just for a dated reference, my Jennings J-22 was $59 plus tax in 1992.
Old August 21, 2013, 04:26 PM   #32
Skans

Jim, that's what I've seen too - the extractor spring seems to be a problem...and the extractor is not particularly high quality either. These things would be easy fixes. Thanks for your input.

And, for reference, I paid $79 for a Jennings J-22 around 1988 or so. It is Chrome with wood grips and a steel "safety" switch.
Old August 22, 2013, 04:28 PM   #33
michael t

If I ever get in a gun fight I hope the BG is Armed with a Jimenez. My odds of surviving just went way up.

Tell you friend no need to load mag I have never saw one shoot a entire mag with out a jam.

He be way better off with a hi point. My brother told me he got his father in laws pistol when he passed . Said was made in Germany . I told him was a RG . He said that right and I said sell it at 1st gun buy back . More junk
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old August 22, 2013, 07:41 PM   #34
James K
Staff

Maybe I have the wrong idea, but I hate it when someone says that such and such a gun is no good or won't work or won't be dangerous.

Doggone it, EVERY GUN IS DANGEROUS, AND DEADLY. And having one pointed at you is deadly serious; it is nothing to joke about or pretend that a .22 or a .25 or a .32 won't kill you. Unless you are Superman, bullets won't bounce off you, and pretending they will is not going to be a good idea if you should ever get out of the comic book world and into a real gun fight.

Jim