The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 21, 2013, 03:09 PM   #26
Okcafe86

I just ordered the dillon 600 super swage and I'm excited. This hand reamer is for the dogs. I can't bring myself to get a progressive press though, I want total control over every cartridge and a progressive seems like quality control would suffer. I reload rifle more than anything, I can see the advantage for pistol though.
A-GANG/LOWER LEVEL MAFIA
Old August 21, 2013, 03:54 PM   #27
wogpotter

Thats exactly why I stuck with the old RL 450b Dillon shown. It has a (for me) darn near perfect combination of automation & manual control. Think of it as 4 single-stage presses sitting in a circle.
When I tested it against my Lyman single stage I could not find any difference in repeatability or accuracy.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old August 21, 2013, 04:44 PM   #28
osirus82

yea, i need that dillon 600 swager also, after that the harvey hand deprimer and a tumbler I'll be set. I'm excited to get started.
Old August 22, 2013, 08:37 AM   #29
schmellba99

Quote:
I can't bring myself to get a progressive press though, I want total control over every cartridge and a progressive seems like quality control would suffer.
I'm not a blue paint homer, but that Super Swage 600 should be, in my opinion, standard equipment on any reloading bench.

You still have 100% control over every cartridge with a progressive - don't get the attitude you don't. QC only suffers if you want or allow it to.

That being said, for bolt action and my Sharps rifle, and for SD pistol rounds, I still load on the single stage - mostly because its habit and I use my Chargemaster to get pretty darned uniform powder charges. Like exactly the same every time.
Old August 22, 2013, 12:45 PM   #30
wogpotter

There are one or two changes in routine needed if you go to a progressive, b ut they don't have to be bad, just different.
Case trimming & primer pocket cleaning are the two most commonly cited concerns.
I deprime with the Lyman, prep the pockets & the rest is done on the progressive, problem #1 solved.

I know the stretch my cases get when resizing, so I allow for it & trim by the spec plus that amount before resizing. Problem #2 solved.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”