The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 3, 2013, 11:34 AM   #1
asmith

80% Receiver:

Has anyone tried one of these projects? Comments? Pros and cons?

http://aresarmor.com/
Old August 3, 2013, 04:30 PM   #2
johnwilliamson062

Have you worked with metal before?
If so, precision or semi-precision?

What tool will you be using to finish the receiver?
Do you realize you won't save any money?

I haven't done one, but I will before too long.
I am now enrolled in a machining program where I am doing precision work within a few thousandths. Had I tried it before the classes with no experience I am not sure I would have produced something that made me happy(or even worked).

There are people around the forum who have done it, but I doubt many will comment much until you give a clearer picture of what you are thinking.
Old August 3, 2013, 04:55 PM   #3
asmith

when I was young and still going to school I took a machine tools class and then a few years later I worked at a machine shop operating a mid-sized lathe. I turned bearing lands that required tolerances of + or - .0003. Later I took an evening class on automotive machining boring my own block, reconditioned my own rods, machined and replace the valve guides in the head and also doing the 3 angle valve job. After 13 years and being in 3 different cars I put fresh rings and rod bearings in it put it in a 66 chevyII and won $1500 in the street class.....I think I can deal with a little piece of aluminum....as far as what I thinking...Being retired now I just thought it would be a neat little keep busy project....jeez...I never thought you guys would think I was arming terrorists...
Old August 3, 2013, 05:03 PM   #4
iraiam

I have done one, I used a smaller but accurate bench top milling machine. I'm not sure what the "kit" is for that comes with jigs and such, it looks like it's made to complete the receiver on a drill press.

You really need a milling machine to complete it accurately, with dials marked in thousandths. and of course the tooling; drills, reamers, and end mills and such. Then of course you have to anodize it or I guess at least paint it to make it officially an "evil black rifle".

I did one just to put custom engraving on it, I can't really post a pic of it because it has anti-government profanity engraved right into it and would be deleted I'm sure.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; August 3, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old August 3, 2013, 07:52 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

Who said anything about terrorists? Jeez.

Sounds like you won't have any trouble at all. The precision needed is much lower than what you described.
People do do these with drill presses, but as mentioned above, the consensus seems to be going to the trouble of getting access to a mill is more than worth it both in final quality and time saved.
Old August 3, 2013, 08:05 PM   #6
James K
Staff

For someone who makes his own automobile engines, I don't think completing an 80% lower will be any problem at all. Good luck.

Jim
Old August 3, 2013, 08:10 PM   #7
asmith

thanks for replying to my post....I guess with me it is not about saving money...it is more about being able to say I did that myself. I guess I would feel more comfortable saying I built that, if there was more to it than just assembling the parts.
Old August 3, 2013, 09:02 PM   #8
iraiam

I forgot to mention, on the link in the OP, the price seems a little steep, if memory serves, I paid about $80 for an 80% receiver and instructions/drawings (on CD).

I did mine a couple years ago, prices may have gone up with all the panic buying??

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old August 3, 2013, 09:42 PM   #9
HiBC

One thing you may want to consider is finding someone who can hard anodize it for you.That coating is an aluminum oxide,which is used for grinding wheels.Its very hard,wear resistant.The thin skin of hard anodizing is key to having your receiver last.

If you are going to anodize,discuss it with the folks who are doing it to find out how much to allow in your tolerances and dimensions.Hard anodizing does have a thickness,it may be .001 or .0015.

You must use oversize taps on your threaded holes and ream a little oversize on your pin holes.

Learn first.
Old August 3, 2013, 09:54 PM   #10
Onward Allusion

The 80% AK receivers are much easier to complete.
Old August 5, 2013, 09:44 PM   #11
tahunua001

geometry wasnever my strong suit, one mistake with a drill press and you just have a 2 pound aluminum paperweight...

I'll stick with 100% receivers.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old August 9, 2013, 10:14 PM   #12
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
If you are going to anodize,discuss it with the folks who are doing it to find out how much to allow in your tolerances and dimensions.Hard anodizing does have a thickness,it may be .001 or .0015
I want to meet the guys doing these with drill presses so accurately that they can worry about one thou. Most of these have to be unbelievably sloppy.
Old August 10, 2013, 02:40 PM   #13
TomADC

Quote:
Has anyone tried one of these projects? Comments? Pros and cons?

http://aresarmor.com/
They are sort of local to me, before you order call or email for a delivery date they had a pretty good back log not to long ago.
I'm always amazed that a 80% can sell for more then a completed lower? New Frontier had completed lowers for around $60 yeah I know a poly lower but I sure like mine.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ght=Ares+Armor

Last edited by TomADC; August 10, 2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old August 14, 2013, 03:35 PM   #14
cookie5

doing your own has a value of more than the price paid . Having them done at a build party on a cnc works really good.
Old August 16, 2013, 06:19 AM   #15
mmccall60

Forthcoming proposed reciver ban

Just alerting you guys about a bill to ban 80% receiver kits. HR 2910 bans the sale and possession of these kits. Below is the link to the article on the subject.

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/gun-la...and-receivers/
Old August 17, 2013, 05:49 AM   #16
HiBC

Do whatever makes you happy,but,if a person is patient,a YHM or Aero or? finished lower will come along.Modest price and just fine.

Without the hardcoat anodizing ,aluminum wears fast.Even if you hit all the machining right on,a non-anodized receiver is very substandard.

You will still have a lot invested in barrel,bcg,lpk,sights,furiture.etc and you want to build on a cream cheese not hardcoated receiver? Myself,I'd build on a quality foundation.

If you are going to have it hardcoated,check the price.There is usually a minimum ,and,if you can get a YHM or DPMS for under $200,that minimum will make a lot of the difference.I have the skills and tools,but I'm not interested.

A better machinist project might be making the specialty tools.That will save you as much.

John Williamson,do you have to thread for the buffer tube?If you do not allow for the anodizing,you will not screw your buffer tube in.If you make your trigger pin holes .154,or .155,your pins wont go in the holes.Your mag catch may not work freely.Rework the parts?Well,have a good time.

Not giving you a hardtime,Ive just seen some very sad things happen in the shop.Not everyone has to learn the hard way.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not advocate more/new firearms law,but be aware if this is to get around not being able to buy /pass background check ,it still results in a prohibited person in possession of a firearm.Lots of trouble.(not accusing!)

Last edited by HiBC; August 17, 2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old August 17, 2013, 05:43 PM   #17
iraiam

The 80% that I did was already threaded for the buffer tube, after anodizing, the buffer tube threaded in with no trouble.

I would note that my anodizing is not as good as the genuine mil spec anodizing, but it's close. I did the acid bath anodizing with a proper aluminum alloy anode and black anodizing dye, it's as good of an anodize job as you can get without a cooled anodizing system.

Mine was not done to save money, which I did not, but was done to have a custom lower.

Old August 17, 2013, 05:47 PM   #18
iraiam

Quote:
Just alerting you guys about a bill to ban 80% receiver kits. HR 2910 bans the sale and possession of these kits. Below is the link to the article on the subject.

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/gun-la...and-receivers/
mmccall60 is offline Report Post
Then I guess it's a good thing I have the equipment and ability to machine one from scratch if I so choose The stupidity of our elected officials continues to amaze me.

Old August 18, 2013, 03:03 PM   #19
barnbwt

Actually the bill would ban that aluminum billet, too, since it "could be used to construct an assault weapon"

"Mine was not done to save money, which I did not, but was done to have a custom lower."
Very important point. Unless you are doing these in quantity (you aren't intending to sell the guns you're creating...rrrright? ), the jigs/tooling costs will eat you alive on a one-off. But you can learn so much about the gun and the process, in addition to the satisfaction of having dunnit yerself

Before word got out, AKs actually could be made for less dough, because the receiver is so stupidly simple to fold up and weld. But now that imported barrels are banned and parts kits cost 80% of what a new gun does, there's no economical reason to.

0% lowers, now those you can actually save yourself money on, at the expense of a lot more time. I've been told it's not so bad once you have a few under your belt, but it looks daunting to a non machinist like myself. There's also an exciting new DIY solution for AR lowers; a sheet metal lower you build up like a jigsaw and weld. Only 25$ at Jack Squat's Flat Spot. As with all things, steel is better

I've been told by folks at Weapons Guild that a practiced welder can bang one of these out in 4 hours or so

TCB
Old August 19, 2013, 01:10 PM   #20
TomADC

How about this one no jig or welding required!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxGW...layer_embedded
Old August 21, 2013, 03:36 AM   #21
HiBC

The laminated/welded project looked interesting,but I think Mr Stoner designedfor manufactuability using the 7075 forgings.

He did design another rifle around sheet metal and spot welds,for places that are lower tech.

Piston driven,bolt carrier rides on guide rods like a grease gun.

AR-18/AR 180