The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 12, 2013, 11:12 AM   #26
schmellba99

I label what is in my measure before I start my first load.

If I am going to be more than a day or so between loading sessions, I empty and clean the measure. Better safe than sorry, and I learned that leaving Universal Clays in the clear polycarbonate measure on my LnL AP in a hot garage for more than a couple of days will darken (permanently) the plastic.

It takes almost no time to empty and clean the measure, so it's worth it to me to just do it. That way I know for 100% certain what I'm starting off with on every session instead of being "pretty sure" X or Y powder is what I had in there last time.
Old August 12, 2013, 11:24 AM   #27
serf 'rett

I always empty even if I plan on loading more of the same the next day.

I made it simple to dismount my Uniflow powder measure through the use of two screws. Remove one screw and loosen the other, remove measure and dump powder.

I left powder in the measure overnight once and the chemicals attacked the plastic.
Old August 12, 2013, 11:59 AM   #28
thump_rrr

Titegroup will definitely darken a Hornady powder measure.
After 2 years I ordered a new hopper this spring.
Last week I forgot to empty the new hopper and sure enough the bottom 1/3 is now dark again

I make sure to empty my Chargemaster every time.
Old August 12, 2013, 02:37 PM   #29
sc928porsche

I always return powder to its original container when finished with a session. Afterward, I clean all plastic parts in warm soapy water (dish soap), rinse, and then rinse one more time in soapy water. This leaves a thin residue on the plastic and helps reduce sticking and bridging of powder.
Old August 13, 2013, 06:28 AM   #30
Crashbox

If I intend to reload the following day then I will leave it in overnight, otherwise I return it to its container. I left a bunch of TiteGroup in for considerably longer than that and it turned the smooth inside finish into a nice orange-peel type of finish...

I have three items that indicate the powder to be used: a plastic tag on the wall behind the bench, the powder container itself, and I also have a plastic tag of the powder type (printed via Brother P-Touch) which is on the powder dispenser reservoir itself, this tag will slip in nicely in the groove between the reservoir cylinder and the dispenser body.
Old August 13, 2013, 06:43 AM   #31
WESHOOT2

I hated emptying measures, so......

When I put powder in one of my measures I also put a notecard right in with the powder.
The notecard lists the powder and its charge weight.
It also acts as a dessicant.

I have one measure that's held W231 since 1996. I used to have sixteen measures, but now only have nine.
Most hold powder (to include WAP, AA9, Universal, Power Pistol, Bullseye --yes, Bullseye, HS6), and have done so for years.
Old August 14, 2013, 11:54 PM   #32
Boomer58cal

I always put the powder back in the original container. Its not safety first... It's safety
always.

Boomer
Old August 15, 2013, 12:39 PM   #33
lll Otto lll

I replaced the Hornady hopper with Pyrex glass... no more discoloration and it's static free. Uniquetech (sp) sells a Lexan hopper for Dillons.

Old August 15, 2013, 03:31 PM   #34
Boomer58cal

@lll Otto lll

I always thought about doing something like that. Maybe I'll have to try it now. Thanks for testing it out for me.

Boomer
Old August 16, 2013, 06:39 PM   #35
Nick_C_S

Nice setup mehavey.