The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 8, 2013, 08:52 PM   #1
hoobens

TNW ASR ( Aero Survival Rifle ) PCC Carbines

I recently bought one of these Pistol Calibre Carbines (PCC) in .45 acp. Had a few problems initially, but seems to be working fine now. I'd love to hear from other owners.
Old August 9, 2013, 08:41 AM   #2
g.willikers

Here's some info on these rifles, for those who are not familiar with them:

http://www.tnwfirearms.com/proddetai...rod=ASR&cat=12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzLnymcE9Fo
Old August 9, 2013, 09:46 PM   #3
arizona98tj

First I ever heard of it. For the $$, that one is not for me...but I wouldn't mind a .45ACP carbine of some type since I already reload for numerous pistols in that caliber.
Old August 10, 2013, 09:57 AM   #4
g.willikers

So far, the best one that I've been able to sample in person has been the discontinued, but now overpriced, Marlin Camp .45acp carbines.
Soft shooting, good handling and very accurate.
Their use of 1911 magazines is an added attraction.
Unfortunately, for top grade ones, collectors have boosted prices up near entry level ARs.
Old August 10, 2013, 01:15 PM   #5
tahunua001

never have heard of them until now.

would you care to elaborate on "had problems but fine now"?

they look kindof like a cross between an AR15 and a mech tech glock carbine conversion. those look an awful lot like glock mags to me... might be funny to see what one of those famed 33 rounders looks like in it.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old August 11, 2013, 09:29 AM   #6
hoobens

Well, I initially had jams due to a overhung section of the bolt stop inside the top of the magwell - this caused the mag to hang up. I simply filed this piece flush and it runs fine now. I suspect they are using the same stop for the .9mm, 40S&W and .45 acp lowers - the larger OD .45 mags come in contact with this piece.
Old August 13, 2013, 04:24 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

Are those Glock mags?
Very interesting if they are.
Also first I have heard, although there are many more of these coming out onto the market. Seems like it went from one or two a few years ago to about 20 now.
Old August 13, 2013, 05:01 PM   #8
Patriot86

I remember seeing a lengthy video about that carbine once, interesting concept. All you need are glock mags, ammo and the change kit and you can adapt it for the most popular handgun rounds.
Old January 6, 2014, 01:12 AM   #9
2ndchance

I've had my TNW Aero in .45acp for several months now. It came with a Gen 4 Glock 21 mag and works flawlessly. Recently, I purchased a 27rnd Korean mag from CDNN Investments for $20. I hear that earlier versions of this may did not play well with the TNW. This newer mag is flawless.

Overall I like this. The recoil on this .45acp was more than I expected, but it's not overly harsh. My 9yo son can shoot it without *******/moaning.

The only thing I would change is the mag well. There is plenty of room to shape it into a mag funnel, to enhance speed reloads. I may have a machinist buddy open it up slightly with his mill, then touch it up with Brownell's Aluma-hyde.

I'm not liking the SAW grip that it came with. I see a magpul MOE grip being installed in the near future.

Explaining the 2nd Amendment