The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 30, 2013, 04:18 PM   #1
txdragon

Wild hog bacon!!

I came across this forum on some searches I was doing regarding any differences between making bacon from commercially available pork sides, or wild. Well, I found a really old thread and figured I would liven up with a new one. I got lucky and landed a nice sized boar that dressed out to 230 lbs and was able to pull some great sides for bacon! Each side was about 6 pounds after clean and trim.
After removal of belly fat, before trimming:

After trim (yeah yeah, the inside skirt is still attached, don't judge me. Too small to fuss over anyways )

I make my dry cure pretty simple, It works for commercial pigs, I don't see why it wouldn't for feral. 2 cups brown sugar, 2 to 3 tablespoons of black pepper, 1 cup kosher salt, pink salt (per package directions per pound).

I lay on a modest layer of salt before adding my cure mix. You can see the half-and-half look below.

Then in to a bag they went. I have had them curing now for 2 days and they have tightened up considerably faster than I had anticipated. They feel like a commercially available side would feel like after 5 days. This is my first batch of wild bacon, so not sure what to expect.
Old July 30, 2013, 05:31 PM   #2
BuckRub

There's so many wild pigs here that if they're over about 150 pounds (boars) that they become buzzard meat or feed for coyotes. Them big stinking ones, I don't want.
Old July 30, 2013, 05:42 PM   #3
txdragon

Kinda sums up the general reason there is not much traditional bacon done with feral hogs. This guy didn't smell at all, and he seemed fairly young. If I didn't know any better, I would say he was trapped and fed then finally managed to escape before meeting his demise at the hands of his captor.
Old July 30, 2013, 06:28 PM   #4
BuckRub

You may be right. I doubt a true 230 pounder feral hog wouldn't smell. You could probably smell him from 50 yards away. Also I seen 230 pounders that people claim and think they're more like 50 pounds.
You done good and it ain't nothing like killing and preparing your own meat. Keep it up.
Old July 30, 2013, 06:44 PM   #5
bswiv

Looks like a project well worth doing. And we will need a finished project report.
Old July 30, 2013, 06:58 PM   #6
txdragon

Will do! I intended on smoking them this coming weekend. Will post pics of the finished product!
Old July 30, 2013, 07:00 PM   #7
chriscw81

looking forward to the results. if it's even close to regular home dry cured bacon it will be awesome.
Old July 30, 2013, 07:03 PM   #8
BuckRub

We also all want samples sent to all our houses

Yes, we'll all be waiting on pictures.
Old July 31, 2013, 07:50 PM   #9
txdragon

Giving the sides their daily flip today, I noticed these things tightened up considerably since I first put them in to cure. I mean, we're talking door mat stiff. Should I consider these are done now and get them promoted to the last stage, rinse, dry to form pellicle, etc? Or just keep on truckin' as originally planned til Friday?
Old July 31, 2013, 08:49 PM   #10
BillyBeards

Very nice.

Are you shipping with eggs or do I need to find my own chicken?
Old July 31, 2013, 09:04 PM   #11
txdragon

LOL! I have access to some farm-fresh eggs, just have to barter some sausage or bacon with my brother for 'em.
Old August 1, 2013, 06:29 AM   #12
Kreyzhorse

Good post. I'm very curious how it turns out for you.
Old August 1, 2013, 10:23 AM   #13
txdragon

Pulled them today, 1 day early, from the cure so they can get their pellicle on! Rinsed and patted dry, then gave em some pepper. I snapped the pic before peppering.

They are decently meaty, as seen here. This was 1 side cut in half (2 pieces shown). I didn't notice something until I uploaded the picture. Notice how the salt box says "Kosher for Passover", yet it's been kinda used to prop bacon? How ironic..

Old August 2, 2013, 04:02 AM   #14
Chowder

1am and just got off work... now I wish the stores were open so I could go get some bacon.

For Sale FightForTheConstitution.com
Old August 2, 2013, 08:56 AM   #15
Hunter Customs

Quote:
1am and just got off work... now I wish the stores were open so I could go get some bacon.
Chowder, I know what you are saying.

Yesterday morning I had to drive about 35 east of me to an auction.
I kept thinking about the two treads txdragon posted about making bacon and sausage.
I had to pull in the truck stop for an egg and bacon breakfast.

By the way txdragon, both of the treads are great, however I'm holding you personally responsible for clogging up my arteries.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Last edited by Hunter Customs; August 3, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old August 2, 2013, 10:07 AM   #16
AllenJ

Txdragon, I'm trying to diet here to get ready for elk season and YOU'RE NOT HELPING
Old August 2, 2013, 10:11 AM   #17
Armed_Chicagoan

Mmmmmm, bacon...

/Homer
Old August 2, 2013, 10:29 AM   #18
txdragon

Hunter Customs: Thanks, and sorry for the arterial blockages. Try to increase garlic intake and add a daily supplement of fish oil tablets!! Just wait til I create the ham thread

Chowder: Exactly why I make my own bacon. Never seems to be any around at those odd hours when you want some!

AllenJ: LOL! Bacon is a perfectly viable food option when dieting, any dietician should agree! Unless it's a strictly cholesterol-reduced diet

Armed_Chicagoan: My brother does the same impression every time LOL!
Old August 2, 2013, 03:00 PM   #19
BigMike349

Re: Wild hog bacon!!

Txdragon - kinda funny that you brought up the kosher salt for use on an alternative to traditional pork bacon. Some Jewish markets will actually make bacon, but make it from lamb Instead of pork. I've never had it but it sounds delicious.

Your wild hog bacon looks awesome. I'm loving the updates.
Old August 2, 2013, 08:33 PM   #20
bswiv

Why did I check back in on this one at 9:30 at night when it been a long day and by the time we stopped Louann said it was just to late to cook???

At least I can't smell it sizzling in a pan!
Old August 2, 2013, 11:30 PM   #21
Geezerbiker

This is a little off topic but have you ever baked bacon? I got this off a cooking show and it really works. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, lay out the bacon strips touching is OK but over lapping doesn't work well. Then bake at 400 degrees. I don't remember the time, I smell for the done aroma and check often. This produces the most evenly cooked crisp bacon you ever had...

The only way I'll fry bacon anymore is if I'm on a camping trip and I don't do that anymore either...

Tony
Old August 2, 2013, 11:54 PM   #22
txdragon

BigMike: Lamb bacon is super fatty and best used for beans, rather than a side to eggs in my opinion.

bswiv: With today's advances in technology, I would suspect our first "smell-o-vision" to be within a good decade or so lol

Geezerbiker: Absolutely! It's also pretty good from the microwave, providing it's a good unit.

Right now marks about 37 hours drying in the fridge. Tomorrow, they get some smoke!
Old August 3, 2013, 09:52 AM   #23
txdragon

Close to a 48 hour dry time in the fridge. Now ready for some smoke!!

Old August 3, 2013, 02:01 PM   #24
bswiv

Need driving directions!!!!!!!
Old August 3, 2013, 04:32 PM   #25
Chowder

Quote:
Need driving directions!!!!!!!
I'm going to start going door to door. I'll start in anchorage and move my way south until I find it!

For Sale FightForTheConstitution.com