The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 30, 2013, 02:27 AM   #26
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Some autopistols do not seem to "like" it. My CZ75B will falter about once every 50 rounds when I'm using Blazer aluminum but seems to be 100% with brass-cased ammunition.
That reminded me, that my Browning BDA .380 did have some failures to eject with it (causing a misfeed/stovepipe jam). However, that was only when the Blazer Aluminum was being shot by a child or woman that limp-wristed the pistol. With a proper grip, it ran great. And with brass-cased ammo, even a limp-wrister couldn't make it fail to eject.

I don't believe the 'twin' of the BDA, a Beretta 84BB had any issues with the Blazer Aluminum, though.
Old July 30, 2013, 11:21 AM   #27
csmsss

Interesting. Maybe I'm the exception, but I never found Blazer aluminum to be markedly cheaper than UMC or Winchester white box or S&B or any other of the brands marketing "inexpensive" target loads. In fact, if anything Blazer always seemed to be MORE expensive than those other brands. And once I began reloading, buying it became even less of an interesting proposition to me.
Old July 31, 2013, 01:06 AM   #28
FrankenMauser

I haven't priced any in the last 10-15 years, but it used to be about HALF the price of brass-cased ammo. At the time, that even made it almost as cheap as the cost to reload. Add in the time savings, and it was well worth the price.
Old July 31, 2013, 01:19 PM   #29
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Used to be 3.95 for a box of 50 9mm which was about a buck cheaper than the brass.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old July 31, 2013, 02:07 PM   #30
wayneinFL

Other than having it jump the crimp in a magnum revolver once, I've had no problem with Blazer. I rarely use it, though, because it's Berdan primed, and I can't reload it.
Old July 31, 2013, 09:51 PM   #31
JohnKSa
Staff

It's Berdan primed to prevent reloading. It's just fine for the first use but not deemed safe for reloading.
Old July 31, 2013, 11:26 PM   #32
JWT

The Blazer aluminum shoots fine. I've shot thousands of rounds in 9mm, .380 ACP, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP without any issues. Works good for me.
Old August 1, 2013, 10:01 AM   #33
SD Handgunner

The CCI Blazer with the 200gr. JHP in .45 ACP has long been my favorite ammo to carry. It has been totally reliable and I have never had an issue with it. I have been hoarding my last 4 boxes of it and have no idea what I am going to replace it with when I run out.

I have also shot quite a bit of the CCI Blazer in 9mm and years ago some .357 Magnums. No it is not the bargin it used to be but I have always found it to shoot good in my guns.

Larry