The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Hundy

45ACP help

I reloaded 100 45ACP in some once fired 45ACP brass that I bought new. Original brass was Remington 230grain MC. I reloaded Speer GDHP 185grain, and used 7.0 grains of universal powder. I used a RCBS Rock Chucker reloader set. I got everyting from the Speer book. I feel I used a pretty good crimp, a good hand tight grip on the seater die.
My problem was everyother round seemed to not seat in the chamber all the way when loaded. One would fire, the next would not seat and prevent the slide from moving all the way forward. Just looking to see it anyone may know what I did wrong, or what I can improve on.
I started reloading again begining of this year, after about a 10 year break. I used to reload a-lot of rifle rounds. Now I mainly reload revolver rounds, and I am trying to reload 45ACP and 40cal.

Thanks

Jay
Old July 24, 2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Louca

Don't take this the wrong way, but I need to ask the obvious. Did you full-length size the brass? If so, did you check the length of the sized brass? Is the chamber clean, especially near the rifling? Any of those things, but especially the length, could cause the round not to chamber.

Lou
Old July 24, 2013, 10:04 PM   #3
thealex

Your oal is too long. Field strip your firearm and drop a round in the chamber. If it sticks even a little it will give you those results. That is what is refered to as the "plunk" test.
Also if you crimp to much on plated boolits to the point you wrinkled the plating will also do it. A
Old July 24, 2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Hundy

Not taken wrong, thank you for reply

I did full length the brass, with the sizer die. I measured a few after and they were withing the specs in the speer book. I did not measure them all. There may lie my problem.
As far as the handgun, I just got it back from the manufacturer, it was being serviced, I have had it since 1993. The chamber is clean.
I guess I should have measured all the brass. Lesson learned.
Thank you for your reply, no part of your questions was taking the wrong way, I appreciate you asking them to help. In the case I think your question, answered my original question.

Thank you again

Jay
Old July 24, 2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Hundy

I will check that

I will measure the OAL. I did not know about the "plunk" test, that is some good information. Thank you I will do that the next time. I was not sure about the crimping. I put a good crimp on my 38's and 357 reloads. I have read here that with automatics that is not as important. I will lighten up on that with the next batch.

Thank you

Jay
Old July 24, 2013, 10:22 PM   #6
DAVID NANCARROW

If you are seating and crimping at the same time, It may cause you some issues if the seating die is not set correctly.

To save what you have made, you might invest in a Lee Crimp die, which will post size the cases.
Old July 24, 2013, 10:31 PM   #7
SonOfGun

If you crimped them GOOD then you most likely crimped more than needed. All needed for 45 ACP is just enough to remove the flare. To much crimp can cause a bulge just below the crimp making the case oversize.
Old July 24, 2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Misssissippi Dave

Size one case and drop it into the barrel. It should drop in easily and fall out when the barrel is tipped up. Now try another test. Take an empty case and see if one of your bullets will slide into the case with a little pressure. When the bullet just drops in you will need to size just enough to allow some resistance to keep the bullet from falling into to the case and not too much so you can push the bullet in with finger pressure. Now what you do with this is place a bullet in the case and make certain it is much longer than you would normally load it at. Place the bullet in the chamber of your barrel and slowly press on the case until it bottoms out. When you remove the case you should have a bullet length that is at the rifling. You might need to place your finger and thumb over the bullet and case to keep it from setting deeper in the case while you are measuring it. Reduce .005 to .010" less and this should give you a max OAL you can use as far as the chamber is concerned. You will have to still make a dummy round fully crimped to try in magazine and loaded to the bottom of it to find out if it is also a good OAL for the magazine.

Having the OAL right should help a lot in your rounds going into the chamber when you use them. Any or all of these uses of your bullets and cases can easily be pulled with a bullet puller to be reused for ammo to shoot.

You can also measure the diameter of the bullet you are loading and then measuring the case with a loaded bullet near the end of the case. It should measure the width of the bullet plus two times the thickness of the case and could even be .001 to .002" less. This tells you the crimp is not too much and is just right.

Finished ammo should drop into the barrel with just the weight of the bullet and fully seat. Tipping the barrel up the round should drop out and hopefully fall into your waiting hand.
Old July 25, 2013, 08:13 AM   #9
steve4102

Quote:
If you crimped them GOOD then you most likely crimped more than needed. All needed for 45 ACP is just enough to remove the flare. To much crimp can cause a bulge just below the crimp making the case oversize.
This^^^ and also do this. Borrowed from Unclenick.

Old July 25, 2013, 09:12 AM   #10
Jim243

Quote:
My problem was everyother round seemed to not seat in the chamber all the way when loaded.
There could be four possible reasons your rounds will not allow your gun to go to full battery.

The first is that your "OAL" is too long and the bullet is hitting the rifling. For a 45 ACP an OAL of 1.20 is acceptable. It sounds like you maybe a bit longer than that. I would not expect the problem to be the length of the cases.

The second is the 45 ACP should not be crimped. While a crimp in and of itself will not stop your gun from going to full battery, it could be bulging the bullet just under the crimped area and keep the round from fully seating in the chamber.

The third reason would be if you "flare" your cases with a powder through die to add powder. And your seating die is not setup correctly to remove the flare. Since you are using RCBS equipment and not Lee, I don't think this would be the reason.

The forth possibility is that you are using an older Glock with a partially unsupported chamber and your cases are bulging at the base. To solve this you will need to get a Lee "bulge buster kit" and a Lee "Factory Crimp Die" for 45 ACP to size the full length of the case including the base.

If I had to take an un-educated guess, I would say your overall length with the bullet in the case is too long. This is easily corrected by using the seating die and bring your seating stem down a small bit and running the rounds through the die again.

Good luck and stay safe

Jim
Old July 25, 2013, 09:38 AM   #11
buck460XVR

OAL is too long, too much flare left on the case or too much crimp bulging the case. I use the "good hand tight grip" for adjusting my dies for removing flare in .45ACP also. Works well with jacketed and hard bonded bullets like the GDs. Not so much with lead and soft plated bullets like Rainiers or Berrys. To determine what may be your problem, take your calipers and measure the case just above the point where your resizing die stops. Slide the caliper up the length of your finished round and if you feel resistance, you have found the bulge that is preventing the cartridge from going into battery. If it's below the base of the bullet, you crimped to much, if it's at the case rim, you did not remove enough flare. If you do not find a "bulge" it's probably OAL. Perform the plunk test. Take a round that does not chamber correctly and slightly seat the round deeper in the case with your press until it(about .02 @ a time) chambers correctly. Measure it's OAL with your calipers. Should be around 1.200. If it feeds well from the mag along with chambering properly, you need to remember this length as it's what YOUR gun likes.
Old July 25, 2013, 10:50 AM   #12
g.willikers

The easiest way to judge your reloads is to visibly compare them to a factory round.
Make them generally be identical in profile, and also when viewed from the top down.