The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 18, 2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Elliottsdad

Kahr customer service/speed

Just bought a gently used Kahr CW9, got it to the range and had zero FTF or FTE during the first 100ish rounds. I was obviously pleased at this point. But during the following 25 rounds or so, the trigger would not reset. I was allowing it to come all the way back forward after firing a round, and when I squeezed again, nothing. There wasn't even any friction keeping me from pulling it, the trigger would just kind of hang there limp (as if it wasn't engaging any kind of spring at all). I would rack the slide, ejecting the unfired round, and would be able to fire again, only to have to repeat this process.

I got ahold of Kahr, and they immediately and politely agreed to fix the problem, which I'm happy with at this point, but I'm curious how fast/succesful their repair service is. Any stories to give me clues as to what to expect? (real life examples please)
Old July 18, 2013, 04:36 PM   #2
rickmelear

Sent a P9 back a few years ago, excellent service and 3000 + trouble free rounds since. Took about 10 days door to door as I remember.
Old July 18, 2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Ruger45LC

My CM40 kept breaking magazine followers, sent it off to them and they grinded a little length off the feed ramp on the barrel. But they were fairly quick about it, so that's good.

Repent America!
Old July 18, 2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Elliottsdad

also, and this was obviously my bad, I sent them two mags (one that was aftermarket). What are the odds both are shipped back to me?
Old July 19, 2013, 06:08 AM   #5
kahrguy

Aftermarket mag!!?? Maybe they will replace it? I don't think I would worry about the aftermarket mag. Probably left in the case.

Kahr wanted to look at what may or may not have been a maybe problem. They ended up replacing several parts and had it back in a total of 9 days.

They have some very good service there when enough info is supplied about a problem to keep them from having to second guess the problem and they are as fast as they can be depending on number of current problems.
Old July 19, 2013, 07:17 AM   #6
Elliottsdad

Well, I'm glad to hear the success stories so far, they've relieved a bit of my worry. I know the CW9 isn't the most precious gun, but it's my gun, and I'd like too see it again soon! Thanks for your anecdotes.

p.s. By aftermarket I meant Kahr's brand (probably not the right use of the word "aftermarket"), but bought separately. CW9 only comes with one stock.

Last edited by Elliottsdad; July 19, 2013 at 07:19 AM. Reason: clarification
Old July 21, 2013, 05:59 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

I had a gun with novak sights. Apparently they weren't tightened down. First range trip I took a few shots and they were gone. Looked around with a buddy, but nowhere to be seen. Finished my 400 break in with the front sight only and called them when I got home. They immediately said they would send me a new one. Then asked me all about how I liked the gun, how it functioned, etc etc. I had the part inside 48 hours at no charge.
Old July 21, 2013, 06:30 PM   #8
vyse.04

My experience with Kahr's CS was great. From the time I e-mailed them with my problem to my next range session, it took a little over a week.

They have no reason to keep your spare magazines, nor would I espect them to. I bought my CW45 when they had a mail in rebate for a free magazine. Too bade it was the extended version, but still better than nothing.
Old July 21, 2013, 10:10 PM   #9
StrangeBird1911

My customer service experience was positive; maybe 2 weeks. I could have avoided the problem by RTFM (reading the *** manual).

However, shipping was ridiculously expensive. I had to ship overnight (Fedex rules for guns; I think UPS is the same.) I believe you violate federal law if you don't tell the shipping company that it's a gun. For that shipping fee, I probably could have gone to a local gunsmith and gotten faster service.

If you bought from a gun store, or have good relationship with one, you might ask them if it's possible for you to ship through them; I think they can use postal service.
Old July 23, 2013, 06:41 AM   #10
ac700wildcat

I sent my cw9 into them along with a set of trijicon sights right after the sights were released. The slide wouldn't close with the front sight installed. They sent fedex with an overnight box to pick the gun up on their dime. It went out on Monday and I had it back on Friday.
Old July 23, 2013, 08:00 AM   #11
Elliottsdad

Quote:
It went out on Monday and I had it back on Friday
Quote:
My experience with Kahr's CS was great. From the time I e-mailed them with my problem to my next range session, it took a little over a week.
Quote:
They ended up replacing several parts and had it back in a total of 9 days.
These make me happy
Old August 6, 2013, 11:12 PM   #12
Elliottsdad

Update:
Just got the gun back yesterday (pretty fast!), and some simple dry firing seems to show the problem has been fixed (trigger resets cleanly). As soon as I get a chance to take it to the range and put some rounds through it I'll feel better!

p.s. oh, and I got both mags back, too!