The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 19, 2013, 11:24 PM   #1
Aristides

Glock 30S...10-Ring Safety Installed: Question

I recently had 10-Ring install a safety on my Glock 30S.

Rather than flicking on and off with a clean snap, the safety is quite mushy. In fact, it seams to engage in three stages. The first stage is the result of some basic wiggle that I notice when I begin to apply some pressure to the safety. Then I press further, and it travels a bit before meeting some resistance. Then I push it past that light resistance, and the safety engages at the bottom of the travel.

If I push forcefully, I can make it travel through those stages without a problem. It doesn't get stuck or anything like that. But, I have two concerns.

First, should I worry that these "stages" and mushiness will effect the reliable performance of the safety?

Second, I just don't care for the mushy behavior, from a "feel" and aesthetics standpoint. It makes me wonder if there may be a potential quality/performance issue in the future.

I called the guy at 10-Ring and discussed this with him. He was polite enough, but essentially he said that as long as the safety is engaging at the bottom of the travel, I didn't need to worry about mushiness along the way.

Is he right? Or is he just deflecting my complaint to avoid some warranty work? Has anybody else had this after-market safety installed on their Glock? Is yours mushy like this? If they all do this, I'll stop worrying about it.

But, if others don't have this problem, I'm wondering if this suggests a poor installation, and I should send it back to them.

Thanks for the help.
Old July 19, 2013, 11:42 PM   #2
TunnelRat

I'm not an advocate of adding a "feature" not in the original design of a pistol. I am aware that Glocks have been modified to add a safety before. There are a number of polymer striker fired pistols that can be had with safeties right out of the box that are relatively positive in their engagement. Did you ever consider going that route?

But I digress. To your main point it seems like the installer has said it isn't a problem. How exactly do you plan on making him take it back?
Old July 20, 2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Aristides

I wouldn't try to make them take it back. If others seem to think it may be a faulty installation, I would simply be more persistent in requesting that they take another look at it.
Old July 20, 2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Shoot45's

If you want a thumb safety get an M&P with one already on it, installed by the factory.

Sig, any 1911, etc etc etc has one too.
Old July 20, 2013, 11:01 AM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
If others seem to think it may be a faulty installation, I would simply be more persistent in requesting that they take another look at it.
It's going to be a rather limited population that has safeties installed on their Glocks. Even still idk how we can tell just from your post if it is faulty. You say it does engage. Have you tried dry firing it to make sure it does stop the striker?

Last edited by TunnelRat; July 20, 2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old July 20, 2013, 12:29 PM   #6
BuckRub

Funny, I buy Glocks because they have no safety.
Old July 20, 2013, 12:40 PM   #7
RUT

Ah yes, Pandora's box has been opened!
Old July 20, 2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Sarge

Why bust this guy's chops about wanting a safety on his Glock? His money, his gun, his modification. It's already done.

Aristides, I know several folks who use Alex and at least one gunwriter who won't take a pistol anywhere else. If you're not satisfied with it, talk to him again.
Old July 20, 2013, 02:58 PM   #9
amd6547

The website for this mod claims " positive engagement and disengagement".
I'm glad people don't like pistols without manual safeties...I got my Glock 26 used for $275 from a guy wanted a safety...my favorite pistol.
Old July 21, 2013, 11:25 AM   #10
RC20

I would insist as it should work right.

While I normally do not veer off trying to stick to the OP question, I do think this gets into that area where its worth the comment. I do applaud the OP for recognizing that a striker should have that feature.

Adding the safety to the glock that was not intended for it is always going to be an iffy proposition.

Per TunnelRat, I would get an MP or other that had a factory safety.

Its jut to critical a component to leave to aftermarket. Tolerable for a range gun but not something for HD/SD and range guns are often that as well.