The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 14, 2013, 12:29 AM   #1
AdamSean

S&W pistols are growing on me.

I have always loved the Smith & Wesson revolvers. But never really gave much thought to their semi-auto pistols. I have mostly been a Glock person. They just feel good in my hand, are reliable and I can shoot them naturally. I was at my LGS and noticed they accually had a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield. I asked to see it and my hand fell in love. It felt great. All the controls were withing reach without having to change my grip. It pointed naturally! A big bonus when you can't see your sights. And since it was only $399, it came home with me.

I did my usual cleaning and polishing feed ramp, chamber, and trigger sear. Then stippled the grip. I know a lot of folks don't like the stippled grip, but I do so it works for me. Now all it needs is a trip to the range. After getting a feel for the trigger, I may add an Apex Trigger kit later. And some XS bar dot sights.

And who knows. If I really like it, I may picke me up a standard M&P9 to fill the full size role.

Isn't she pretty?

Old July 14, 2013, 06:17 AM   #2

Check the trigger reset. It should be pretty positive. Many folks with a shield or newer m&p don't feel a need for the apex kit. For a real treat, look for a third gen smith steel semi auto, 5906, 4006, 4506, 4566 + many others or a TSW variant. These are my Favorite guns. Still widely available. Good luck
Old July 14, 2013, 08:29 AM   #3
AdamSean

I have always wanted a Chief's Special 9. Kind of difficult to find though.
Old July 14, 2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Herr Walther

A friend of mine bought an MP9 Shield last week. I haven't fired it but she says she likes it alot. Carries it in her purse.

Nice pistol if you like S&W.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old July 14, 2013, 12:22 PM   #5
AdamSean

I would actually like to see one in .45 ACP to compete with the XDS.
Old July 14, 2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
I would actually like to see one in .45 ACP to compete with the XDS.
x2
Old July 14, 2013, 03:41 PM   #7
B.O.F.H.

I just trade into a cs9 yesterday. Congratulations to the op. Hope you enjoy your new Smith as much as I enjoy mine.

Last edited by B.O.F.H.; July 18, 2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old July 14, 2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Webleymkv

Originally posted by AdamSean
Quote:
I have always wanted a Chief's Special 9. Kind of difficult to find though.
Ask and ye shall receive.

http://summitgunbroker.com/cs9.html
Old July 14, 2013, 04:00 PM   #9
ritepath

I'm looking for a FS 9 or 45 now...it would help if I found a fullsized 9 considering I have a couple of mags and some holsters that would fit it pretty good. I ditched my 9c back in the winter for a dirtbike because I didn't really have a need for it. Too big to CC, didn't feel right with the Xgrip and 17rnd mags.
Old July 14, 2013, 06:29 PM   #10
Leejack

The Smiths have splendid ergonomics.
Old July 16, 2013, 06:04 PM   #11
presspics

Your stippling looks really nice!!! Excellent technique!! I usually hate stippling but yours is very nicely done.
Old July 16, 2013, 07:48 PM   #12
Old Stony

I have a total of 4 of the M&P's now and they are a really nice design. I left the Shield bone stock just to appease the lawyers if needed. My last M&P is the 5" pro in 9mm. It came with a trigger that really sucked though. I installed the Apex kit and ordered a shorter front sight from 10-8 to try and bring up the poi. It is on the way to becoming one of my favorites.
Old July 18, 2013, 01:14 PM   #13
Old Stony

New sight

I got in the new sight for my 5" M&P pro 9mm and got it installed last night. I stayed with the fiber optic front from 10-8 company, but went with the .160 height and .125 width they offer. It was shooting about 2" low with the stock .180 height sight, and the new one brought it up just right.
10-8 offers a nice selection of sights for M&P's and 1911's and I would highly recommend their products....Top Notch stuff !
They offer two different heights of front sights for the M&P and you can get your choice of fiber optic, brass bead, or night sight.
Old July 20, 2013, 07:37 AM   #14
Conn. Trooper

I love the old Smiths. I have a 4006, 4566, and a 4513. Big and blocky, but I like them.