The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 9, 2013, 10:28 PM   #1
baddarryl

Kahr CM9 on the way

. I finally found one after looking for months and comparing everything possible for pocket carry. Other than the standard clean and inspect, is there anything that should be done as far as break in or ammo they do and do not like? I am getting it as a backup and/or rear pocket gun. Thank you.
Old July 9, 2013, 11:21 PM   #2
tolesy

I recently purchased a CM9 for the same reasons you did. I have been reading of issues with the Kahr 7 and 8 rd mags. Guys are swaping them out for the factory 6 rounders. Apparently, the second round is causing lots of issues (not sure if its the second round in the mag while one is in the chamber or the first round in the mag while one is in the chamber).
Old July 9, 2013, 11:34 PM   #3
vyse.04

Good choice... I bought a used K9, and then picked up a NIB CW45 because I liked them so much. Take a look at the Kahr Talk forums for more information, but all I did was a quick clean before I shot my CW45. I had a problem with it the first day at the range, but an e-mail to Kahr corrected in a week so I was happy again.

Some people recommend working the slide 100 or so times prior to shooting them, but I haven't done that with either of mine.
Old July 9, 2013, 11:46 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Some people recommend working the slide 100 or so times prior to shooting them, but I haven't done that with either of mine.
After initial cleaning, I work the slide of any new semi-auto handgun by firing a hundred rounds through it. Not so much of a "break in" but more of a shake down. Then I start testing potential SD carry rounds to make sure they are accurate, and function perfectly. I'll admit my system is a little challenged in today's ammogedon days.
BTW, my CM9 went through the 100 rounds of WWB without a hint of a problem. then through an additional 50 rounds of Winchester NATO rounds, a box of Hornady Critical Defense, a box of Winchester PDX1, and two boxes of Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel +P. Again without a problem. I settled on the Speer Short Barrel for carry, but it seems that anything Speer is impossible to find now.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 10, 2013, 02:41 AM   #5
engineer88

I absolutely love mine. Flawless in almost 300 rounds now of carry and range ammo. I have shot it weak handed, sideways, barely held it to limp wrist and I cannot get mine to fail. I don't lube it either, just clean and oil after shooting. It is dry by the next range session and always runs a box or two fine.

You will love it. Mine is a keeper.
Old July 10, 2013, 04:56 AM   #6
Tomac

On my 3 Kahrs (P380, CW9, CM9) I did the suggested clean/lube, cycled them manually 200 times then let them set overnight w/the slide locked back. Disassembled the mags and cleaned them as well (some nasty sticky stuff in some of them).
All have been 100% to date w/all mags including the +1 extended mags.
Tomac

Old July 10, 2013, 05:04 AM   #7
Consort

Kahr recommends chambering rounds by retracting the slide, then using the slide release. Those who have experienced feed difficulties seem to be slingshotting the slide. The factory-recommended 200 round break-in seems to be spot on.
Old July 10, 2013, 06:12 AM   #8
kahrguy

I have 3 kahrs and never did any more slide racking other than needed to chamber a round or just learn the pistol. Break it down clean it well and lube it well. be ready for a little plastic on the assembly rails to wear off .

Mine all shot great from round one. Any pistol you may depend on should be fired a few hundred times . No handgun or shooter and ammo is fool proof today. All most be proven reliable !!

Carry a couple brands or lots of ammo with you just encase one brand is below standard. It happens more often than it should. I like 124gr for the smaller cm.pm 9mm series at first to be sure the slide has enough energy to get a full rack when fired if the 115gr don't run well right off they probably will after a 100 rounds and the pistol loosens up a bit.

You may find out with the cm/pm series you may only shoot 50 rounds before your hands say " enough". A addon rubber sleeve does help. It can be a inner tube or one of the slip on from venders.

My cm9 runs fine with 7 and 8 round mags I have for other kahrs . So people don't have the same luck. Nothing new to anyone with a 1911.
Old July 10, 2013, 07:45 AM   #9
ScotchMan

Consort got it, I think. The recoil spring is incredibly stiff in these guns, and Kahr says to only load from slide lock to ensure you get enough force to chamber the round. I can slingshot mine all day, but I have to put a lot of muscle into it. My girlfriend can barely lock the slide back on it.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old July 10, 2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Fishbed77

My CM9 is a superb little pistol.

It needed no break-in, and has been 100% reliable out of the box. I also have no problem with feeding when slingshotting the slide to chamber a round.

I will join the others and say that the 7-round mags suck (due to the flimsy plastic baseplate design), but the 6-round mags work flawlessly. Not a big deal, since you'll likely be using the 6-rounders for CC anyway to take advantage of the CM9's diminutive size.
Old July 11, 2013, 06:27 AM   #11
baddarryl

Picked it up yesterday. I like the looks and feel of it. As I said, it had been months since I was able to handle one. Hopefully I will get a chance to shoot it today. I'll let you know if I do.
Old July 11, 2013, 10:35 AM   #12
HK_Flo

I'm 90% sure I want to get one of these as a carry gun. The only other pocket gun I have really shot allot was my brothers LCP. Not really a huge fan of that gun.
Old July 11, 2013, 04:58 PM   #13
baddarryl

Well after a cleaning I took it to the range today and ran about 125 rounds of practice ammo without a hiccup. At 15 feet I was about to keep groups less than an inch, at 25 feet that opened up to about 3 inches but I was tired and into the last of the rounds by then. Fit and finish is very good and feels like a quality firearm should. Very comfortable to shoot for such a small gun. As far as a pocket gun, I looked at everything and could not find a better candidate in 9mm.

It is replacing my Kel Tec P3at. There is simply no comparison and the Kahr conceals 95% as well. I looked at an LCP just the other day and found the Kahr a better fit for me despite me being a Ruger fan. I have also lately been carrying my mom's S&W Bodyguard .38 lately and the Kahr is more comfy than that too. Highly recommend so far.
Old July 11, 2013, 10:39 PM   #14
arizona98tj

Glad you are enjoying your CM9. I picked up a PM9 some time back (CM9 wasn't made back then) and have been completely satisfied with it. For years it was my primary carry pistol....but was recently put back in the safe after I picked up a Springfield XDs45.

Here is the PM9 compared to the XDs45. The PM9 offers a slightly smaller footprint, but not by much.

Old July 12, 2013, 07:03 PM   #15
Consort

Even after over 500 rds the slide lock on my CM9 is darn near impossible to realease with my thumb. Would polishing the assembly help ? The recoil spring is still super tight, too. Field stripping is tough. Can't believe it hasn't loosened up at all. I've been storing it with the slide locked back. Any other suggestions ?
Old July 12, 2013, 08:42 PM   #16
Seven High

Consort: I had the same problem with my CM9. I locked the slide back whenever I wasn't shooting it. I left it that way for several months. It "weakened" the recoil spring to the point that it was a lot easier to rack the slide. I also loaded up the magazines and left them that way for an extended period of time. That helped also. I also had to polish the very bottom of the feed ramp. This improved feed reliability. Mine is finally reliable.
Old July 13, 2013, 04:06 AM   #17
Consort

Seven High- Thanks for your advice. I really want to like this pistol, but am getting increasingly frustrated with it. I'll continue locking the slide back during storage and keep y'all up-to-date on any progress.
Old July 13, 2013, 05:42 AM   #18
Beentown71

Re: Kahr CM9 on the way

I do believe the recommended use of the slide stop is just that...to stop the slide manually. To release it is recommended to rack the slide.

The main reason the slide stop is hard to manipulate is because it was made with a smaller purchase area. Harder to get leverage on such a small lever. Makes it more concealable. Compromise...
Old July 13, 2013, 06:27 AM   #19
kahrguy

Beentown71 Racking the slide not recommended and the use of the slide release is but many of use find the racking the slide "pulling" on it works fine . Just depends on grip strength and a full pull and clean release. Some never seem to master it.

Guys your learning the down side of a small +P rated lite weight pistol. You and your thumb will tough'n up so you learn to deal with the slide stop lever . It will never get "easy" like larger or some other small non +p pistols tend to be. But you will learn to deal with it. Its during the break in time that you tend to shot more and wear out your thumb.

Guess a little polishing of the edges will only cost a new pin if it goes to far so polish away.

If your pistol was a kahr cw/p sized it would be a bit easier to deal with just do to the difference in spring pressure and design .

If you ever get to fondle a berretta tomcat??? Try to rack the slide. You learn quickly why its a tip up barrel design. It will try to rip the meat off your finger.

Oh the love for kahrs.
Old July 13, 2013, 04:03 PM   #20
Seven High

Consort: I would add that it took a lot more than 200 rounds of break in ammunition to get my CM9 to work properly. I am guessing around 600 rounds. Don't give up. When they work right, they great little semi autos.
Old July 13, 2013, 08:03 PM   #21
kahrguy

Good ammo play a big part in break in. allways have a second brand and 124gr if available to start with. Some junk 115gr ammo may not give enough energy to get a full motion of the slide. Part of that 200 round break in is breaking in the shooter too. hehe Some shooters don't break in , get all ****** and sell them cheap.

Add something rubber to the grip to aid in control I use old bike inner tubes. 1.75" My 3 kahrs had zero issues . One came used from a seasoned shoot that had nothing but isues. But it was not the pistol. Ammo ,shooter, not the handgun. b I have 1450 rounds shot thru it and its been great.
Old July 16, 2013, 03:05 AM   #22
baddarryl

Mine is obviously brand new. Is feed 115 gr junk just fine and have no problem at all using the slide release or racking to chamber a round. Works fine either way. Love it so far.
Old July 16, 2013, 05:00 AM   #23
Consort

My CM9 is ammo sensitive to just about any 115 gr. catridge whether FMJ or JHP. Results are much more consistent with 124 gr. Haven't ever stepped up to 147 gr. I just find it interesting that the same model pistol can yield such varying results. (Note - I am not inferring that this is specific only to Kahr weaponry.)
Old July 16, 2013, 06:51 AM   #24
kahrguy

It is amassing how good these little kahrs are in the hands of a competent shooter and with in reason enjoyable to shot. Glad your getting good results with 115gr ammo. Seems some owners don't hang on solid enough.

Consort Add something to aid in grip control and try a different brand of ammo and when found to be fine try that same 115gr ammo . If it runs just fine you can atleast know it was a tight new pistol issue or basic control issue.

I have a brand of ammo I have used for practice and carry for years thats always work well. The practice ammo is a mixed brass remanufactured too.
Old July 16, 2013, 07:58 PM   #25
Consort

Another Question

Could the machined slide stop on a PM9 be interchanged with the MIM slide stop on a CM9 ? Just wonderin'.