The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 11, 2013, 11:59 AM   #26
henry1960

Kimber Ultra Tle II Spits out brass to the right at all times...Never been clocked in the head with brass..
Old July 14, 2013, 01:09 AM   #27
45Gunner

Wear a ball cap. Keeps the brass from falling back on your face and down the shirt.

The next thing I would do if the gun persists on ejecting brass where it doesn't belong is to: 1. Check the recoil spring. 2. Tune the extractor. 3. Check the ejection port for burrs or other minute obstructions and polish them out.
NRA Life Member
Old July 14, 2013, 02:11 AM   #28
Jim243

There is a small piece of metal in the center of the FCG that is called the "ejector" it is it's responsibility to throw the cases out of the pistol and in the proper direction. Make sure it is not bent or weakened. Often on weak loads there is not sufficient energy to eject the case any way but up. Stop using under powered loads, especially in new pistols with new recoil springs (they tend to be quite stiff.)

Jim
Old July 14, 2013, 10:49 AM   #29
dave9969

I had to come back to this thread
my last trip to the range, my pistol is so steady where it puts the empties
I actually set a 5 gallon bucket there and caught 90% of the ejected brass in it. saves on the broom time when I am done, the range only has a few rules an rule 1 is clean up your brass
Old July 14, 2013, 06:44 PM   #30
Texshooter

If it happens with one pistol you own, but does not happen with the other pistols you own then it is not the shooter -

it is the gun.

No matter what kool aid drinkers say.
Old July 14, 2013, 06:51 PM   #31
Sharpsdressed Man

It boils down to some guns just don't LIKE some of the shooters that handle them. I have guns that are fine for me, but throw it at others that shoot that particular gun. I think the gun just doesn't like them.
Old July 15, 2013, 10:35 PM   #32
robmkivseries70

I have a 1911 in 9mm in which the extractor clocks a bit. As you might expect the ejection is a bit erratic. I'll fit an over sized firing pin stop eventually.
Best,
Rob
Old July 15, 2013, 11:19 PM   #33
DaleA

Quote:
I actually set a 5 gallon bucket there and caught 90% of the ejected brass in it. saves on the broom time when I am done, the range only has a few rules an rule 1 is clean up your brass.
Outstanding. Both your gun and your range. I've shot at a range where the rule was leave your brass where it falls. Yep, the range would sweep it up, separate it and sell you back your empties. After my first encounter with the rule I only used the place to shoot revolvers and .22.
Old July 16, 2013, 02:03 AM   #34
skeeter

Ejector or extractor is not properly tuned. It might be the recoil spring which should drop the empties about 3 feet away. It they are less the recoil spring is too weak and if less it is too strong. More than likely it is the extractor.
Old July 25, 2013, 08:50 PM   #35
Dragger34

Semi-auto pistols I've owned or fired:

Several M9 Berettas
S&W Sigma 9mm
Glock 17 4thGen
Kel-Tec PF9
Ruger SR9c
RIA 1911 .45

The Glock 17 was the ONLY one to eject casings right back to my head, brand new right out of the box. I bought a hat(shaved head) and put up with it until my girlfriend was shooting it, casing got caught between her glasses and cheek. Burned her cheek.

Bought an SR9c, it was more reliable and just as accurate, sold the Glock.
Old July 26, 2013, 12:59 AM   #36
745SW

My guess is the ejection issue is more of a 9mm thing because most pistols chambered for this round are compact (4”) with a light polymer or alloy frame. Best to use rather stout ammo or a reduce recoil spring. I believe, at some point in time, the German made Walther P99 came with two different RSA’s (recoil spring assembly) because of light ammo. Glock changed the RSA substantially on Gen4. Reloaded light ammo usually having a lead bullet may work better than light factory jacketed. The reason is, IMO, the lead bullet causes a different recoil impulse than jacketed, the lead feels heavier and/or longer impulse.
Old July 27, 2013, 03:05 PM   #37
745SW

Since all of us have our individual pistol holding styles and ammo selection can be limited at times my thought is changing the recoil spring or RSA would be the easiest way to change the ejection characteristic. Depending on make and model there is a vast array of aftermarket springs and RSA’s including guide rods made of tungsten.

While some can get their casing to literally land in a bucket I think that’s more of the exception than the rule. Below is a link about cartridge case ejection in terms of where the case lands. On page 21 there’s a four-quadrant graph where the pistol is in the middle pointed up/north. Based on the markings I would think at least sometimes the shooter will get hit by a empty casing.

I get my share of casing going down my shirt/T-shirt, glasses and once in a blue moon into a pocket. I’m rather oblivious about it.

http://forcescience.org/articles/ShellCasingStudy.pdf
Old July 27, 2013, 10:38 PM   #38
italianbreadman

Quote:
OP must own a newer gen3, or a gen4 Glock.
Quote:
2 guns are doing it; an hk45c and a hk p2000sk 40.

I would have guessed ANY Kimber. That manufacturer just can't seem to figure out where to throw a casing.
Old July 28, 2013, 07:41 AM   #39
kcub

I have since taken out the HK45c and did not have the same problem, not once. It was at an indoor range; heck it could have been the guy's brass shooting next to me for all I know. This time we were at the left-most lane; no shooter to the left of us. Now I'll have to confirm whether the other HK is really doing it or not. I just love HK pistols. Well, the ones that don't have spiderman grips anyway.
Old July 28, 2013, 09:38 AM   #40
RamItOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcub
Why do some guns throw brass back at you?
because they hate you

Being a lefty should not have anything to do with it. Im a lefty and have shot enough and have never had a round hit my head or come back at me in general. Now my AR, heh, thank god for the deflector, those shells miss me by an inch or so, talk about learning not to flinch while shooting.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0