The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 2, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
mk70ss

New Toy

My wife came home today and brought me a new Browning BLR .22 lever action. It's the fancy wood, checkered, and factory engraved model. It is sweeeeeeet!
Old July 2, 2013, 07:30 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

Re: New Toy

Pictures, pleaseee!
Old July 3, 2013, 01:23 AM   #3
SteelChickenShooter

Interested in a range report because I dumped mine. High expectations but not good results. No way near as accurate as hoped. Not nearly as accurate as my Henry. But to be fair, I've had a number of Henry's. Many are ordinary, but even ordinary for a Henry seems to be pretty good accuracy. I sold them all but did keep one I have with exceptional accuracy. The Browning lever action .22 I had did not shoot anywhere near as good as this particular Henry.
As an example, just to compare ammo brands, I can make a single ragged hole shooting 5 rounds with the Henry, but shooting the same rounds out of the Browning would produce 5 separate holes. I still like the Browning. Still would like to have one because as you said, and I agree, it's a sweet shooter. Let us know about your accuracy at 25 then 50 yards. I might like to try another one if you can report single ragged hole results with yours.
Old July 3, 2013, 06:35 AM   #4
mk70ss

Today I will post pics and hopefully a brief range report. I want to shoot it some this afternoon.
Old July 3, 2013, 11:51 AM   #5
SteelChickenShooter

If possible try to compare a few brands of sub-sonic, standard velocity, high velocity and hyper velocity. I recall more detail about my testing. I had high hopes for single ragged hole using hyper-velocity and just did not have it. I'm sure you will able to find some brands of different velocities that will yield very good results. I just happen to have a Charles Daly Zastava import making single holes using Aguila and SK standard. I have a Henry making single holes with Eley sub-sonics and a Ruger 10-22 making ragged holes using Aguila High Velocity. I'm lucky because I really stocked up on a lot of different brands before 22 rimfire became harder to find. Please let us know your results using what brands you can find. I was recently at a Dick's Sporting Goods store, and they did have CCI Standard Velocity in stock. Those did pretty well in some of my rifles at 40 and 60 meters.
Old July 3, 2013, 02:39 PM   #6
mk70ss

Pictures Now.....

Pics....

Old July 3, 2013, 02:41 PM   #7
mk70ss

I have about ten types of .22 LR in the safe and two types of shorts. One should produce decent accuracy I would hope.

At least a lever action isn't prone to ammo related feeding issues.
Old July 3, 2013, 09:36 PM   #8
TXGunNut

Nice, very nice. A wide variety of ammo is helpful as well. I have a couple of rifles that think WW Wildcat is target ammo.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 3, 2013, 09:40 PM   #9
steveNChunter

I have a BLR .22 that consistently shoots a ~1/2" five shot group at 50 yards with winchester 1280 fps 36 gr hollow point bulk ammo. I considered that to be pretty decent. Never have seen a ragged hole group with it though...
Old July 3, 2013, 09:45 PM   #10
steveNChunter

Beautiful rifle you have there by the way!

Do you think your wife could give my wife some advice on gift ideas?
Old July 4, 2013, 10:40 AM   #11
g.willikers

I inherited one like that, long ago.
A real beauty.
If memory serves, it might have had an octagon barrel.
And it, too, was not all that accurate, so I sold it.
.22s don't have all that much else going for them, so the whole point of .22s are their accuracy, isn't it?
If they don't have it, they don't have a lot of use.
Hope yours satisfies.
Old July 4, 2013, 10:46 AM   #12
az_imuth

Congrats on a great looking little Browning! I acquired one recently and was surprised by the accuracy. I wasn't really expecting a lot, but was happy to find that it shot federal bulk really well. Hope you have as much fun with your rifle as I have had with mine.
Old July 16, 2013, 05:59 PM   #13
Chad.C

That is really nice