The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 19, 2013, 11:51 AM   #26
James K
Staff

I think there is some confusion on what is meant by "Enfield". The British Rifles No. 1, No.4, and No. 5 (Jungle Carbine) are in .303 British caliber and the rimmed cartridge makes it necessary to load the clip in an exact way. The U.S. Rifle, Cal. 30, Model of 1917, commonly called the "American Enfield", is in .30-'06 and uses the same clip as the M1903. The .30-'06 is rimless and presents no problems in clip loading.

In loading the British Enfield clip, the rims (seen from the side, clip on the bottom) should be:
_-_-_
_clip_

Incidentally, with one exception (the Russian rifles), the clip, once the rounds are stripped into the magazine, is pushed out by the bolt going forward; there is no need to remove the clip manually, unless of course you want to make sure to save the clip, something that soldiers in combat didn't worry about.

Boomer,

Yes, I know. The FBI woke me up this morning and NSA came along with copies of my posting as evidence of insufficient love for our NOBLE PRESIDENT, a new crime in case you don't know. Then BATFE came later (they were hung over from partying with their old buddies in the IRS) and said I could keep a double barrel shotgun but they would be back for everything else, including my soldering iron that has a pistol grip.

Jim

Last edited by James K; June 19, 2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old June 19, 2013, 03:37 PM   #27
Boomer58cal

Damb! They're probabilly coming my way right now. It's ok. They'll never find my place.

Boomer
Old June 20, 2013, 07:10 PM   #28
Ozzieman

including my soldering iron that has a pistol grip.
I know what you mean. They stopped by today and confiscated my power washer and my staple gun I use to hang targets.
I could understand the power washer being high power but the staple gun had me at a loss till it was explained to me that it had a high capacity magazine. >5

Politician's are like diapers.
You need to change them often,,,,, for the same reason!
Old June 24, 2013, 10:15 AM   #29
Ibmikey

M1903 and A3 rifles were used in every combat theatre during the war, even when M1's became plentiful there were not sufficient numbers to totally replace the 03. D day saw many a GI land with his trusty 03 or 03A3 in hand and the rifles served throughout the war, of course the 03A4 went on to serve in Korea also. If you wish to preserve the history of your incredible find leave the cosmoline on it as it adds to the mistique but if you wish to shoot it, clean as previously suggested and enjoy a war time piece of history to the fullest. List it on GB with the cosmo and it will easily bring a grand...clean and shoot it and you will enjoy many times that in fun and nostalga.
Old June 25, 2013, 02:18 PM   #30
hps1

Early 03 stripper clips were made of brass; later replaced by steel. The brass were a bit smoother than the parkerized steel. You can slick up the strippers by polishing the feed "ramps" w/a bit of steel wool. Another tip is to place your thumb as near the clip as possible when stripping the rounds into the magazine...too far forward puts rims in a bind.

Have used all sorts of stripper clips while shooting HP rifle competition and find these to be much smoother than the GI version:

http://www.champchoice.com/detail.aspx?ID=1056

Beautiful A3, by the way!

Regards,
hps
Old June 26, 2013, 03:30 AM   #31
Skarekrow88

Where in the hell did you get that rifle for $150???
Old June 30, 2013, 05:27 PM   #32
airman_miller

where could I buy a decent sling for this rifle at around $50?
Old June 30, 2013, 05:30 PM   #33
tahunua001

are you looking for just a standard rifle sling or a reproduction 1907 sling?
ebay is where I got mine but normally buy it now prices are closer to $70.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old June 30, 2013, 07:03 PM   #34
hps1

http://www.mcssl.com/store/turnersad...tegory/5360058

Not too far north of $50 & Turner makes high quality slings. They also list 2nds for less than $50.

Regards,
hps

Last edited by hps1; June 30, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old June 30, 2013, 11:16 PM   #35
airman_miller

thanks hps1, I was curious about the turners. at first i was looking at originals, but the ones I have seen are around $100. at least I know if i get the turner I will know it wont fall apart on me.
Old June 30, 2013, 11:34 PM   #36
hps1

You're right about the original might not be the best for longevity.

The 03's used the same sling as the M1 Garand but most Garand slings issued (in our unit at least) in the early to late '50's were web sllings. There were still a few leather ones around but not too many as I recall.

Regards,
hm
Old July 2, 2013, 04:41 PM   #37
airman_miller

Ok as for the wood, should I use tru oil, tung oil, or leave it alone? The wood does not seemed worn, and if there was something meant only to preserve instead of building layers on the wood I would prefer it
Old July 2, 2013, 08:57 PM   #38
tahunua001

GI issue was BLO, but tung oil gives a shinier, more amber color. either, or a combination of the two would be OK.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.