The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 30, 2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Jerry45

Scope mounting question strictly out of curiosity.

Why do most people mount their scope rings with the nuts facing the right side/ejection port? Being right handed I did the same with the first couple of scopes I mounted because it just seemed natural. Every-time I've purchases a scoped rifle or let the people at the fun store mount a scope the rings have always been installed with the nuts towards the right side of the rifle, loading/ejection port side. Not that it's that big a deal, some time back I started mounting the rings with the nuts facing left. I find it makes for a less clutters loading/ejection port. I've also noticed that on quick release mounts the release leavers are usually pictured facing left.

I don't believe it really makes any difference but am curious as to why most people seem to mount with the nuts to the right. Is it just because most of us are right handed and it just seems easier?

Last edited by Jerry45; June 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old June 30, 2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing

I'd say you've hit the nail on the head. When designed, they were right handed, when pictured, they're shown as right handed, but that don't necessarily mean that they can't be reversed, as would be the case for a leftie shooter.
Old June 30, 2013, 02:48 PM   #3
oldgunsmith

I never understood that. I've always preferred mine with the nuts on the left, and have been asked if they're not "supposed to be on the right" many times.
Old June 30, 2013, 03:20 PM   #4
James K
Staff

Some mounts can only be put on one way, and that is generally dictated by the design of the gun. For those mounts that will go on either way, it is a matter of personal preference and, yes, tradition. Folks get used to seeing things a certain way, so they notice a change or they see that something is "wrong" but don't immediately notice what it is.

Jim