The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Forrest68

Primer Question

I'm sure this isnt a new question but, I have a few round that I need to pull apart due errors on my part , plus a few misfeds. Can I just run the the emptied brass threw my deprimer to take the unspent primer out? I also have one that the primer is in upside down,will depriming it set off the primer? These are small pistol primers in 9mm rounds.

Thanks
Old June 24, 2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

The reloads you can indeed de-prime reasonably easy. Consider having ear & eye protection on before the attempt. Just do it slowly with just enough pressure on your part to push the primer out of its pocket.

S/S
Old June 24, 2013, 09:33 PM   #3
Jeff2131

Agreed, PPE and go slow.
Old June 24, 2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

I go slow to de-prime and eyes and ears are good to use while doing this. Eye protection any time you are reloading is a must in my book. I also empty the primmer cup on my press before removing live primers. It makes keeping them separated a lot easier to do. I take a look to see if the anvil is still intact. If it is I put it in another case to be used. I normally keep the ammo I have reused primers loaded in separated from the others. I have yet to not have one of those reused primers not work. I won't reuse one that is not still round on the outside. I want it to fit the pocket.
Old June 24, 2013, 10:22 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

I have deprimed a lot of those over the years; put them back into the next round and have NEVER had one fail to fire - it isn't a big deal or that dangerous as you are pushing it out in the opposite direction from ignition
Old June 24, 2013, 10:51 PM   #6
MEATSAW

If you have one in backwards that you are wanting to deprime I would definitely go about it slow, light, and easy. Or if the $.02-.03 primer isn't worth the risk no one reasonable would blame you.
Old June 24, 2013, 11:30 PM   #7
Sport45

Keep in mind that if the primer is okay you don't have to deprime it. Just resize the case without the decapping pin installed and then go about the business of reloading it again.
Old June 25, 2013, 12:08 PM   #8
BigJimP

Small pistol primers in my area ....are selling for $40/1,000 now ...or about 4 cents each....( just saying...)....vs 7 cents each just a few months ago....

But no - depriming a live primer - especially one in upside down - is a really bad idea in my opinion. I don't do it.....
Old June 25, 2013, 01:45 PM   #9
Forrest68

Ok, so since they are fairly cheap sound liek my better option is to dump the powder , save the bullet and toss the primer in the brass. Now is this safe for regular garbage, or do I need to find some other avenue to get rid of said live primer? Thanks for all the imput.
Old June 25, 2013, 02:39 PM   #10
math teacher

Not necessary. Just follow Sure Shot's instructions. It takes very little pressure to remove a primer from the case. Just do it gently while wearing eye protection.
Old June 25, 2013, 08:00 PM   #11
Sport45

And you can even reuse the primers in plinking ammo. Just make sure the anvil hasn't fallen out.
Old June 26, 2013, 06:12 AM   #12
WESHOOT2

You can as long as you're wearing eye protection.
Old June 26, 2013, 07:02 AM   #13
Real Gun

Addressing the concern, real or imagined, has anyone ever set off a primer doing this? I have removed good primers. I suppose I could have used full face protection, since I do already own it for other purposes.
Old June 26, 2013, 07:42 AM   #14
serf 'rett

Never set off a primer when removing primer. In fact, the primers that got mashed into the pocket sideways haven't gone off when I eased them out. Same with the backward primers.

More than two or three cartridges need to be disassembled? Remove bullet and powder, remove decapping pin, resize and reload.
Old June 26, 2013, 07:57 PM   #15
Misssissippi Dave

I have never had one go off either.

It is still a good idea to have at least eye protection on while reloading. It only takes once to cause problems. I figure since it is always possible to have a primer go off during normal seating even though it is very remote why take the chance? The same goes for removing a live primer from the case. Using eye protection is a simple thing to do and one day it may even save your sight.

Seeing that black spot in your vision where the scar tissue is from an eye injury is not fun or cool. 40 years later and it is still there. I could have been worse and no vision in the same eye could have been possible. I wear eye protection for lots of things I didn't use it for at one time. Maybe someone will be smarter than I was long ago.
Old June 26, 2013, 10:59 PM   #16
jag2

Just last week I had about 40 rounds of 9mm that were too fat to chamber (still don't know why) and used a kinetic bullet puller. I removed the decapping pin, resized them and reloaded them. Was very pleased that they all fired. Those primers must be pretty tough, it took a lot of whacking to get those bullets out. The moral is, maybe you don't have to pop out those live primers.
Old June 27, 2013, 09:16 AM   #17
Real Gun

Those bullets should not have been hard to pop out. Maybe that tight crimp before the bullet was fully seated allowed the case to be slightly crushed. Something was going on...some adjustment...between the bad batch and the rework success.
Old June 27, 2013, 02:12 PM   #18
m&p45acp10+1

If you go slow you can salvage the primer, provided it has not already been struck by the firing pin in the gun. If it has then pull the bullet, and toss the primed case into the trash. I have done this many times with brass that split at the case mouth when I was expanding it. With the upside down primer just go slow, and steady. It will come out, and can be reused.