The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Seadweller

crimping help?

Hello folks...
I'm reloading .45acp, 9x19, and .357 and am concerned about my crimping. On the taper crimp, i get a nice tight grip on the bullet by running it into the sizer die lightly, and put a pretty heavy roll crimp on my .357. I am worried thst i may be putting too much crimp, though, because on the taper crimped .45s amd 9mm, i note that factory loads don't seem to be as tight looking, and wonder whether and how to tell if my roll crimp on the .357s is too much.
I don't load max loads according to the manuals, and can't tell whether i am exceeding pressure levels, but would sure appreciate any sage wisdom on crimping from you experts. My local gun store is no real help. They don't say anything more than that i should follow the instructions...
Thanks.
Old June 26, 2013, 09:50 PM   #2
steve4102

45 and 9mm headspace on the case mouth and should not have a heavy taper crimp. The taper crimp is applied only to remove the flare plus maybe a thou or two more. Do not over crimp these cartridges.
Old June 26, 2013, 09:52 PM   #3
243winxb

Quote:
i get a nice tight grip on the bullet by running it into the sizer die lightly
Dont do that. For a taper crimp just remove the flare/bell. If the loaded round will not drop in & out of the chamber, taper crimp a hair more. A roll crimp can be adjusted by seating a bullet to the finished COL with out crimping. Then back out the seating stem & turn the crimp die down by hand. You can feel when enough is enough.
Old June 26, 2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

On 9 mm and .45 acp you don't need more crimp than enough to remove the flair you added to seat the bullet. With lead and plated bullets this is even more important than with jacketed bullets. If you were to pull the bullet of one of your rounds with plated bullets check to see if you cut through the plating. If you have you have put too much crimp on them.

If you have a factory .357 round with a similar type bullet look closely at the roll crimp on the factory round. There should not be any need to put more than that on your round.
Old June 26, 2013, 11:21 PM   #5
jersurf101

As others have stated the crimp in auto pistol rounds is for removing the flaring on the brass.

In general crimp lightly and over crimping is not a good thing.

I do tend to put a good firm roll crimp on heavily loaded .357 magnum rounds with slow burning powders and light roll crimp on anything that will go through the .357 lever action.
Old June 27, 2013, 12:04 AM   #6
joneb

If you want a consistent roll crimp on revolver brass the brass will need to be the same length.
Old June 27, 2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Seadweller

thanks all. Wilco!

Good information.
Thanks!
Old June 28, 2013, 11:33 AM   #8
m&p45acp10+1

An over crimped revolver round will not chamber. It will be buckled. I use the Lee factory crimp die on mine so as long as length of the case is not too short it will cive a good roll crimp.
Old June 30, 2013, 07:52 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

crimp

Adjust crimp and test; re-adjust crimp and retest.

Check for bullet movement (bad), accuracy, and velocity consistency.