The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 25, 2013, 10:00 PM   #1
dewcrew8

308 win / 7.62 trim size?

I was looking at some gi nm brass that I was going to reload and the lyman 49th says trim to lengh was 2.005". When I mic some of mine were 2.000 , ? Is should I toss it or will it grow alittle when I shoot it next. What is the smallest (safets) size before you do need to toss it. I was told it was once fired from my dad when he got it at the range.most of the brass is 2.015" thanks for your input guys! This will be shot out of a m1a.
Old June 25, 2013, 10:06 PM   #2
Beentown71

Did you measure before or after resizing?

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old June 25, 2013, 10:16 PM   #3
dewcrew8

They were resized before I got them. I haven't started to reload them yet. All I did was start to mic them to see what they were at before primeing them. They were sized and demprimed . And then put away tell he gave them to me.
Old June 25, 2013, 10:51 PM   #4
oldpapps

I'm going to jump in here and most likely get jumped on.

To me there isn't a 'too short' for 308/7.62 brass. As long (pun not intended) as the brass is less than max, I feel safe that I'm not going to be jamming case neck brass into bullet by the throat of the barrel and doing crazy things to pressures.

This doesn't equate to me not wanting my brass to be the same length. Consistency is the key to accuracy.

But to trash good brass for being too short, not go'na happen.

I ALWAYS start by checking for signs of head separation. (I run a big paper clip that has been more or less straightened out down inside and scrape from the web out, if it is rough, it brass bucket time.) If all else looks good I trim after full length sizing (I feed more than one weapon and auto loaders run better with full length sizing - shortens brass life but works for me) and trim EVERY CASE. If the brass doesn't need to be trimmed, it gets a trimming check anyway. This makes me feel better and I think is more consistent.

Hope this helped you a little. If not, I tried.

Be safe and enjoy,

OSOK
Old June 26, 2013, 04:39 AM   #5
dewcrew8

Thanks it did help. I guess the next thing to get is a trim die .
Old June 26, 2013, 11:13 AM   #6
oldpapps

"next thing to get is a trim die"

Many ways to go here.
If you are only going to reload one or two, 'LEE' makes a neat little shaft mounted cutter that works well, I have a few of them. But the tried and true 'lathe' type trimmers give greater adjustments if you need it and will work on virtually any casing, got two of them also. There are several powered units and arm powered file dies and more.

I more often than not use the 'LEE' shaft job, mounted in a old cordless drill with a pair of vice grip pliers to hold the shaft/cutter (Arthur in my hands) for bulking out .223/5.56 and .308/7.62s. I use that old cordless drill because the battery runs down and I must stop for a recharge and the battery will need to charge again also. I have one, 'LEE' shaft trimmer, for 300 Blackout but I was playing with 'over trimming' and measuring lengthening in repeated shots, 25 reloads per case before a re-trim was needed but the brass was also giving it up by then too. Back to the point, I used my old Lyman 'lathe' trimmer for everything else. Quick hint, setting the length is a pain in the back side, so I get the length I want and mark 'that' case with the length and use it as a reference to set the unit the next time I need that length.

Pick what you think you will like and after trimming 500 hundred cases by hand, you will look for something else

Load with care and enjoy,

OSOK
Old June 26, 2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Bart B.

I and many others trim new .308 brass to 2.000" long then back to that after several reloads when it gets up to about 2.010". I've known a few folks who trimmed it back a bit less with zero issues.

Set your full length sizing die such that fired case shoulders are set back no more than .002" and case life will be much greater.
NRA Smallbore Prone Master
Old June 26, 2013, 03:27 PM   #8
stubbicatt

I choose 2.005" as a trim to length. On the third trim, the brass is scrapped for fresh.

But if the brass is 2.000" nothing wrong with that. Will work just fine.
Old June 26, 2013, 04:03 PM   #9
superspirit

I use the Lee case length gauge and cutter system, I mount the cutter in a 1/2 drill and trim away, I've also mounted it in a drill press and done bigger lots of brass that way. cheapest and easiest way I've found.
Old June 26, 2013, 08:01 PM   #10
dewcrew8

I was giving the dillon case trimmer so I will just buy there 308 die . Already have the 30-06 one so ill just have to get in line with dillon! To get it.thanks to all that gave me some insight on the 308! New to both the grand and m1a reloading.