The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 22, 2013, 07:45 PM   #1
TPAW

Registration Of So Called Assault Weapons

LEO's are allowed to carry high cap mags in their service weapons, does that also include handguns that are not part of their authorized service handguns?

Second question: If their private collection of so called assault rifles are not part of their required inventory for their job, are they required to register them like everyone else?

My questions pertain to NYS and The Safe Act.

Last edited by TPAW; June 22, 2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old June 22, 2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

That depends on state and local laws, which vary greatly. Many states have no registration requirements, nor do they have limits on magazine capacity.
Old June 22, 2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

NY has been altering its law to deal with their self-inflicted LEO restrictions. It's in another thread. It's been pointed out even by antigun folks in NY that Cuomo was an ignoramus in designing the gun laws. But 'fixing' them for cops doesn't mean anything for the general public.
Old June 23, 2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Polinese

I spent a while on the phone with the hotline the other day... all LEO's are completely exempt from every part of the safe act whether its for their duty weapons or their personal weapons. So long as they are residents of NY state... as a LEO who lives in AZ when I visit I am not exempt anything and can only bring my issued sidearm with my creds which federal law would trump even if they didn't want me to...

Currently when you retire you would theoretically have to get rid of your weapons and or register them.
Old June 23, 2013, 08:37 PM   #5
JimPage

In all likelyhood the SAFE Act will have an injunction stopping its enforcement before the year ends. The avenue then will be the SCOTUS. Registration doesn't take effect until sometime in early 2014. To register now is folly as then they will have the info they want to suppress your rights.
I also doubt that Cuomo and his thugs will survive the next gubernatorial election.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old June 26, 2013, 12:30 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Unless specifically exempted, by statute, we are ALL subject to the same laws.

I heard the original NY SAFE law (right after the Sandy Hook shootings did not exclude LEOs, and after a bit of scrambling, an exemption (for at least some things) was added.

Back when California put the SKS carbine on their list of banned guns more than a few were owned by LEOs privately. They were not excluded. Heard one report of a cop, when he turned in his SKS, as the law now required, was actually arrested for possessing it.

Never did hear how that one got resolved, but I suspect they quietly dropped it when someone finally realized that arresting people (particularly a serving cop) for OBEYING the law was sending a poor message.

I'd say it all depends on the particular state, the specific laws language, and the zealotry of the prosecutor's office.

Why is it you (outside of the gun community) never hear of the REAL "Gun Control Loophole"? You know, the one that is usually put in that exempts police, military, etc from certain laws?

It was a source of amusement to me back when the Lautenberg law forced so many agencies to have to pull officers off the street. Under that law, ironically written and passed without any of the usual "loopholes" (even for on duty possession), as they could no longer be legally armed.

The law of unintended consequences applies to everyone. Too many of those crafting and supporting laws apparently can't understand that, or don't care.