The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 23, 2013, 04:22 PM   #1
sea2weed

Remington 9mm 115gr MC Seating plug?

Was looking for some experience with the best bullet seating plug to use with this bullet? I scored a 2k box from Midway recently and have been working up some loads. I'm getting some COL variation up to +0.003 with my std RCBS carbide die set using the stock RN plug which is pushing on the tip of this skinny tipped bullet rather than the ogive like I'm used to loading my normal Nosler 124 JHP's. I did order up some extra plugs from RCBS but the only ones in stock were for the Speer Gold Dots, still not right. The 9mm Makarov Conical which I think might be just right is on backorder. Anyone been down this road or should I just send RCBS some bullets and have a custom plug made? I would think that a classic 9mm FMJ bullet from Remington would have a common solution?

Thanks!
Old June 23, 2013, 06:43 PM   #2
sea2weed

Just finished an experiment to try and get by with what I have. Drilled out the center flat of my 115 GD plug about 3/16 deeper leaving the outer cup alone. Polished up with some emery and now the bullets center up solid with full contact around the ogive radius. Seated up a dozen rounds and the COL is consistent to the nearest 0.0005 precision on my Starrett. I think I'm about as good as I can get
Old June 25, 2013, 08:21 AM   #3
stubbicatt

Wow that's great. I would have cocked the hole if I had tried to drill the seating punch.
Old June 25, 2013, 11:28 PM   #4
sea2weed

Since I now have 4 stems I figured it was worth a shot, usually something like this would botch up on me. I do have a cross slide vice for my drill press which helped a lot but a friend with a lathe would have been more of a sure thing!

A good part of my enjoyment from reloading is solving problems and making improvements in my work. I'm not really sure if I reload to shoot or shoot to reload but it's great fun either way