The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 22, 2013, 03:22 PM   #51
Nickel Plated

*disregard*
Old June 22, 2013, 05:05 PM   #52
Boomer58cal

Jo6pak...

In CA(can't keep up on every state) the new laws ban any semi-auto from being built or sold in the state. All auto already in the state must be registered.

No gun my have a pistol grip, folding stock, or six position stocks( unless pined so they are not adjustable), and nothing with a mag that can be removed without a tool. No more bullet buttons and nothing over 10 rds. Even if it's a pump, bolt or lever gun.

Also no combo guns like my Savage C24. 22 lr over 20ga.

To buy ammo you must take a safety test and pay for a yearly permit. $50

I hear they also added a tax to ammo. I haven't seen it myself, but that's what my friends in cali said.

The worst part... not sure if it's just pistols or rifles too, but all new pistols sold in CA must have a device that marks all bullets fired from the gun with some form of code for IDing a bullet used in a crime. This effectively bans the sale of all pistol's and maybe rifles in CA until someone makes such a device.

This is how I under stand it anyway.

Google new gun laws in your state.
Old June 22, 2013, 08:51 PM   #53
FALshootist

SR420 regardless of what the news says, getting enough signatures to hold a recall election is a start. But it is not a recall until there is an election that throws the scoundrel out.
Old June 22, 2013, 10:44 PM   #54
Auto426

Right now it seems that tube feed lever actions are probably the best bet for those looking to escape all of the complexity of trying to make their AR or similar auto-loader legal. I'm also pretty sure the market will respond accordingly to the latest threats to our constitutional freedoms with new and clever ways to make AR's legal as well.

Quote:
Maybe one of these if you pin the stock in place? It doesn't even have a hand-guard/barrel shroud.
I believe the correct term is "shoulder thing that goes up".

Last edited by Auto426; June 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old June 23, 2013, 03:23 PM   #55
Patriot86

Someone really need to design and build a modern M1 Garand in 5.56 and 308 that holds 10 rounds from from a Garand style "clip". Unless I am mistaken that would get around any gun law in the nation except NY's "SAFE" act correct?

No Pistol grip, no detachable magazine, no folding stock, no flash hider, no Bayonet lug...

Doesn't hold/can't be modified to hold more than 10 rounds.
Old June 25, 2013, 06:11 PM   #56
Boomer58cal

No new semi-auto rifles at all in CA. Unless you already have it that is.

Boomer
Old June 25, 2013, 07:13 PM   #57
James K
Staff

"...drill that hole and you're GTG."

And if drilling that hole led to a 20 year prison term or summary execution for you and every member of your family....?

Jim
Old June 25, 2013, 07:16 PM   #58
wncchester

Remington 870.
Old June 25, 2013, 07:28 PM   #59
Dr Big Bird PhD

Quote:
No new semi-auto rifles at all in CA. Unless you already have it that is.
Not true, they just need fixed magazines. M1 Garands and SKS's will not have any problems with the new laws

that's about it though...

Edit: When I say fixed, I mean you literally need to load the magazine through the action with a stripper clip or your fingers. No exceptions.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old June 25, 2013, 11:23 PM   #60
USMCGrunt

All I can say is dang, you people live in some f'ed up states!!! You DO realize that the borders are open, correct?
Old June 29, 2013, 01:53 AM   #61
Ignition Override

Maybe an M-1 Garand won't 'qualify' for the leftist nitwits who run those states, but the CMP has been 2-3 months behind on filling orders since last winter.
As for the SKS, it was the 'sleeper rifle' during the recent panic. 7.62x39 ammo has been .25/rd. for approx. three weeks.

In centerfire, only 7.62x54R, 5.45x39 and surplus 7mm Mauser ("Gunbot.com" and "Samco Global") now cost less.

USMCGrunt: The main problem for many people is that they have family members in those states, and maybe a career.
Even though it is very unlikely, if TN ever Did pass such laws, it would be impossible for me to move away from a 24 year-old son, and my somewhat 'elderly' parents plan to soon move back to this area. This is why many of us commute to work (Memphis-Atlanta) every week.

Last edited by Ignition Override; June 29, 2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old June 29, 2013, 09:29 AM   #62
sailskidrive

In Maryland...

Here in Maryland HBAR ARs, SCARs, AR10s, Mini 14s will replace the "banned" guns.

Don't worry though, that evil 12lb pound M1A that has never been used in a violent crime in the state is officially banned.

Yes, we truly have freaking morons in our state legislature. Morons that testify that they understand the nuances of handling a firearm because they once used a ear piercing gun while working at the Piercing Pagoda in the mall.

Oh, if that doesn't make your head spin... we now also officially TAX THE RAIN this state based on the size of your roof, deck and driveway. But don't worry, Wally-World can pave over 10 acres to make a parking lot and they won't be burdened by such taxes.
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old June 29, 2013, 10:50 AM   #63
Lee Harvey

Don't worry guys there isnt going to be a ban in california. If they could take our guns they would have a long time ago. If the laws get any stricter in Cali, I know some good ol' boys over there who won't be too happy.
Old June 29, 2013, 11:06 PM   #64
shooterdownunder

what about a straight pull with spring assist?
Old June 30, 2013, 12:14 PM   #65
T.Stahl

I think that's what HK did for the Australian market.
Deactivate the gas piston of an SL8 and make it a straight pull bolt action with spring assisted closing.

Just as you have to do when shooting blanks without a BFA.
Old June 30, 2013, 08:22 PM   #66
shooterdownunder

I don't think the R8 had the spring assist. (and was still banned anyway as it resembled a semi auto)

There's an english one that might get popular in the US called the speedmaster.

The bolt gets pushed back as normal on a semi auto, then the user just pushes a button on the side of the grip to let the spring push it back forward. It's modeled after the AR.
Old July 2, 2013, 03:46 PM   #67
Fishbed77

Quote:
All I can say is dang, you people live in some f'ed up states!!! You DO realize that the borders are open, correct?
Or that civil disobedience is always an option.

Plenty of unjust laws infringing on civil rights have been defeated that way (think Jim Crow).
Old July 3, 2013, 07:44 PM   #68
Boomer58cal

They don't seem to listen to the people much

Boomer