The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 22, 2013, 09:54 PM   #1
pequeajim

Morning at the club with my Monty

I just bought a Benelli Montefeltro, and could not wait to get out to the range to shoot it. THis is my first shotgun and I was a little worried about the recoil, but must say that after shooting two boxes of 25 shells, it was plenty gentle enough.

Some things observed so far:

Recoil is minimal
Gun aims VERY well, and is more accurate than I am.
When loading shells, my thumb gets ragged by the spring clip in the bottom of gun. This would probably happen to me on any semi.
Only had time for 50 rounds, but the gun had zero problems.
Gun breaks down and cleans easily.
She's pretty...

Last edited by pequeajim; June 24, 2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old June 23, 2013, 01:52 AM   #2
Bake

Of course, its a Benelli..
Old June 24, 2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Sphawley

Pretty sweet shotgun for your first one, Benelli never disappoints!
Old June 24, 2013, 06:53 PM   #4
pequeajim

Went out shooting again with the Montefeltro.

I noticed that my success rate increased quite a bit. I am now hitting 3 out of 5 most of the time, and once in a great while nailed all 5. I also nailed 2 in the air with one turn, that was fun! I had some suggestions from a fellow shooter and I think this helped. Of course, he nails all 5 every time. I took the plug out so the gun will hold 5 shells. I have put 150 rounds through it so far with zero failures, nice!

I am pretty happy with the gun. My case came in today from Benelli, so I have two things to do tonight; Clean the gun, and put it in the case for my next trip to the range.

I do have a question for all you skeet shooters.

I would like to find a way to shoot alone, and I would rather not throw them by hand myself, (that's for later). What do you guys do?

Last edited by pequeajim; June 24, 2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old June 24, 2013, 11:11 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

If you are truly shooting skeet at a club, NEVER load more than two - this is for safety reasons and it does upset your gun's balance; Secondly, NEVER aim that gun - a shotgun is pointed, focus on the target and NOT the bead

As far as shooting skeet, get to the club and get lessons/instructions so you learn the correct things and will not have to unlearn poor practices you ingrained.

Remington has some tips for both trap and skeet here
Old June 24, 2013, 11:53 PM   #6
BigJimP

Some skeet fields have "voice pulls"....you'll have to see what the club in your area has to offer.

Most clay target clubs will consider it a serious safety infraction if you ever load more than 2 shells in the gun at any one time ( its the kind of infraction, that will get you asked not to ever come back )....so I'd recommend you put the plug back in the gun and never load more than 2 shells. In some games, like Trap singles, you can never load more than one shell.

A shell in the magazine of a shotgun makes it a loaded gun....and you can't walk the premises of a club with shells in the magazine even though a round is not chambered. You can only put a shell in the magazine - when you are on the shooting station pad.

Go over the safety rules at your club/ and the rules for the games you're shooting...and talk to some shooters out there so you don't get yourself in trouble.

Last edited by BigJimP; June 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old June 25, 2013, 02:12 PM   #7
pequeajim

Thanks guys for the advice on how much to load in my gun. I wonder if anyone ever said that to Tom Knapp?

I never thought about the balance, so will take this into consideration. Our club has no rules for shotguns beyond the normal firearms rules, we are a rifle and pistol club, and only have one of the 10 shooting areas which allows you to break clays. That I know of, there are no shotgun instructors, so I will need to visit the trap shooting club down the road from me, and I WILL have the plug back in my gun before I bring it on the property there.

Thanks again
Old June 25, 2013, 02:14 PM   #8
BigJimP

Nope, we made a special exception for Tom Knapp when he visited...
Old June 25, 2013, 02:44 PM   #9
pequeajim

"Nope, we made a special exception for Tom Knapp when he visited... "

I would have too... What a great person, and shooter he was!
Old June 25, 2013, 02:47 PM   #10
BigJimP

Yes, its sad that he passed away earlier this year.
Old June 25, 2013, 02:59 PM   #11
pequeajim

Yes, I am dissapointed not to have had the opportunity to see Tom in action. There is a lot to learn and enjoy from the 'elders' in the shooting arena. While there may not be another Tom Napp around, there are several locals that can teach me a lot. My only regret is that I did not get into this sport sooner than the month that I have been shooting shotgun. Maybe I would have had the opportunity to meet him in person. Its nice that he is still with us on YouTube.
Old June 25, 2013, 03:04 PM   #12
BigJimP

There is a lot to learn in the shotgun sports....trick shooting is a whole different thing.

But get to know some of the shooters in your area....learn all the differences in the major games....Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays and 5 Stand...each of them present unique challenges.