The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 22, 2013, 09:53 PM   #26
Metal god

Maybe these will help muddy the water a little more . These are just 2 new laws being proposed in CA .

Senate Bill #47
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...=201320140SB47

Senate Bill #374
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...arch_keywords=
This one is WAY out of control . This would require a person who, between January 1, 2001, and prior to January 1, 2014, lawfully possessed an assault weapon that does not have a fixed magazine, including those weapons with an ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with the use of a tool, to register the firearm by July 1, 2014. By expanding the definition of a crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.

This bill would require, on and after July 1, 2014, a Firearm Ownership Record to be submitted, as specified, to the Department of Justice for every firearm an individual owns, with prescribed exceptions, including firearms purchased from a licensed firearms dealer and documented by a Dealers’ Record of Sale transaction and assault weapons registered with the department.

This is just 2 of about 50 anti gun bills in CA this year We are about to make NY look Pro gun
Old June 22, 2013, 11:02 PM   #27
Quentin2

Quote:
I really appreciate all of the advice and suggestions. The 30 round mag came with it. I ordered some Magpul 10 rounders to comply with the law. It DOES have the bullet button.
Metal God - Your first photo is 'exactly' how I want mine to look.
Good to hear it has the bullet button! Sounds like the rifle is CA compliant.
Old June 23, 2013, 01:51 AM   #28
MistWolf

To go from
http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...3&d=1371841944
to

will require that you replace nearly the entire rifle. You will need to replace the entire upper. On the lower, you'll need to replace the receiver extension, action spring, buffer and stock. Might as well get a new lower from Palmetto State Armory and build another rifle the way you want. You'll end up with two rifles but that's what you'll have anyhow and one would be in pieces. Enjoy shooting the rifle you have while gathering the parts for the second. You'll also gain experience from shooting that will guide how your new rifle is configured, saving you time & money.

There are no pre-ban rifles in California. If a self loading rifle was not registered as an "Assault Rifle" prior to the deadline, it cannot have evil features and a detachable magazine. Rifles with evil features that are not registered as "Assault Rifles" are limited to a fixed magazine limited to a 10 round or less capacity.

The only self loading rifles that can use detachable magazines are what they call "featureless" rifles- that is, they cannot have an adjustable buttstock, they cannot have pistol grips, they cannot have thumbhole stocks and they cannot have a flash suppressor.

Even if the lower were in California prior to the ban, if it was not registered with the state as an assault rifle, it must follow the rules concerning evil features. No new rifles may be added to the registry. The coming laws will likely change all this but I'm not exactly sure how
Old June 23, 2013, 09:20 AM   #29
BPowderkeg

Mr. Burns, just do a search on "How to build an AR-15", there are many books available, BUT being in C'fornya.., be careful..., be VERY careful.

also if you want this:
you have a lot of work ahead of you.., not to mention the expense !

go here too
http://www.midwayusa.com/General.mvc...ld-AR-15-Rifle
Old June 23, 2013, 09:32 AM   #30
Carne Frio

As mentioned above, the z-mount would be the easiest way to go.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...TOKEN=91610543
Old June 23, 2013, 11:44 AM   #31
Metal god

If you want to build from yours someting that looks like mine . I agree with others that say it would be alot of work . If it were me , I would get another complete upper and work from there .That way you can just put a new free float rail on it and gas block .
Old June 24, 2013, 12:29 AM   #32
dlburns

How it looks now

Guys here are a few pics of how it looks now. I took the stock off to see what the size of the buffer tube was so I can change it out to an adjustable stock.
What do I measure the OD of the tube or the ID of the ring it screws into?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000440.JPG (158.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg P1000456.JPG (139.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg P1000460.JPG (154.0 KB, 14 views)
Old June 24, 2013, 12:55 AM   #33
Metal god

If you plan on changing stocks to a collapsible one . You will need the whole setup . Stock , buffer tube ,spring and buffer .

As you can see the buffer tubes a very different for a collapsible stock . They are not just a round tube . They have a rail like system that has the locking notch's in it for each position the stock stops at .

These are out of stock right now but it gives you a idea what you need
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...stock-kit.html
Old June 24, 2013, 08:28 AM   #34
Quentin2

Yes, you'll have to buy the whole carbine stock kit like the one Metal linked. PSA has a good kit and priced right. They also have the same kit with upgraded stocks like the CTR or ACS.

By your serial no. I would expect that lower to be 2008-9. Mine is 344xx, about 500 after yours, and is early 2009. You can call S&W and they'll give you the date it shipped from them.
Old June 24, 2013, 10:02 AM   #35
blfuller

The best mount for your rifle as it sits is the ARMS 39. These are also known as a goose neck mount. Mount your red dot above the handguard...
Old June 24, 2013, 02:22 PM   #36
dlburns

Awesome

BL Fuller...that is a nice set up. How stable is that sight just floating above the front rail? The only point mine would connect to the handle is through the hole in the top of the handle and I am afraid it would not stay stable and accurate. IT looks like you can co-witness your front sight though!
Metal God and Quentin...thanks for the link to PSA, I knew I would need the entire set up I just don't know whether it is Mil Spec or Commercial?
Dave
Old June 24, 2013, 02:48 PM   #37
blfuller

Quote:
How stable is that sight just floating above the front rail? The only point mine would connect to the handle is through the hole in the top of the handle and I am afraid it would not stay stable and accurate.
There are two mounting points, the front above the delta ring and the hole in the top. The front one clamps around the carry handle and the other goes through the hole in the top of the carry handle. Very stable.

The only thing you may have to do is replace your handguard with an A2 type. Not sure if it would clear the old A1 type but the A2 will drop right on and are inexpensive.
Old June 24, 2013, 03:38 PM   #38
Metal god

Quote:
I just don't know whether it is Mil Spec or Commercial?
They both will fit on the lower . The threads are the same , It's the tube area that the stock slides over that is different and not by much .
Old June 24, 2013, 06:39 PM   #39
dlburns

BLFuller

That fits so well I didn't notice the front clamp!
Where can I pick one of those up? Also I changed out my front handguards to the rail type to mount my front hand grip. Will it clear the picattiney rail type handguards?
Metal - Thanks!
Sorry for all the dumb questions guys but you are really helping me out!
Thank You!!!!
Old June 24, 2013, 06:43 PM   #40
dlburns

Front hand rail

Here is my front hand rail and handle set up now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000442 - Copy.JPG (138.5 KB, 19 views)
Old June 24, 2013, 08:17 PM   #41
blfuller

Quote:
That fits so well I didn't notice the front clamp!
Where can I pick one of those up?
Lots of places carry them. Brownells.com and SWFA.com are a couple of places. Google is your friend, search for the cheapest one.

Quote:
Also I changed out my front handguards to the rail type to mount my front hand grip. Will it clear the picattiney rail type handguards?
Metal - Thanks!
Yes it will work with the picatinny.

I noticed your rear sight was elevated quite high. I was wondering if you were aware you should zero your elevation with your front sight.
Old June 24, 2013, 09:35 PM   #42
dlburns

Sights

I haven't zeroed it yet. The rear sight is where it was when I bought the rifle. It has never been shot so I am anxious to get out there and put some rounds through it.
Old June 24, 2013, 09:45 PM   #43
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I would put on an old A1 stock on it instead of the A2, swap out the muzzle the device for the correct one and have retro AR!

Why screw up something retro cool. Sell it to someone who would appriciate it, and buy one that already has flat top upper!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 24, 2013, 10:12 PM   #44
Metal god

Quote:
Sell it to someone who would appriciate it,
Yeah
Old June 24, 2013, 11:52 PM   #45
dlburns

sell or trade

Offers??
Old June 25, 2013, 12:43 AM   #46
Metal god

NO NO NO I don't want no auction here . First low baller wins

Is all the furniture black or is it green-ish ?

Last edited by Metal god; June 25, 2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old June 25, 2013, 02:08 PM   #47
dlburns

I'm keeping it

It does look green in the photos but in person it is all black.
Old June 25, 2013, 02:22 PM   #48
kraigwy

Quote:
I'm keeping it
Good choice.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071