The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 20, 2013, 01:21 AM   #26
colbad

Once you are convicted of a felony it is your responsibility not to be in violation of any other laws based upon your conviction. As such, any firearms/ammo in your possession after the conviction may be seized and you could face state and or federal charges.

There is no uniform means that courts or LE use to recover FAs after conviction. ATF generally will not charge or seize the FAs if they are turned over or sold to an FFL prior to the conviction or immediately after. Title II FAs have special limitations and would have to go to a class III dealer.

You could dispose of your FAs prior to your conviction to whomever you want if they are not also prohibited. However, after conviction LE may just seize the FAs if something is not worked out with the courts for disposition. For those thinking they will give them to their wife or husband, this may be viable if they can lock them away someplace the prohibited individual does not have access. However, constructive possession will put you in prison just as sure as actual possession. Do not confuse "possession" or "ability to possess" with ownership.

Once had a situation where a felon and non-felon had a FA in vehicle between seat. Driver who was not felon admitted FA was his and had sale paperwork. Passenger stated that he knew it was there within his reach, that his prints would be on FA because he had handled it . He is now back in prison for possessing a FA.

Bottom line is that there is no uniform process, but you become prohibited immediately upon conviction. This is something that must be discussed with your lawyer prior to the final conviction.

Last edited by colbad; June 20, 2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old June 20, 2013, 12:21 PM   #27
saltydog452

Two familys of a Felon

I haven't, and don't have the inclination to search and de-code legal verbage.

The two instances that I think I know, the Great State of Texas would not grant Parole/ Early Release if that Parole candidate was going to be domiciled, or have access to, a firearm. Drugs an/or drugs, are a big no-no.

salty
Old June 21, 2013, 10:16 PM   #28
monoxide

Felony conviction and guns you already own...

This is kind of off topic but also fits here if that makes any sense. I own a few firearms and enjoy shooting at the range. My friend and her boyfriend want to go with me one day but she is a felon no charge has to do with a gun but a felon none the less is she allowed to even be at the range with me and her boyfriend?
Old June 21, 2013, 10:43 PM   #29
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
is she allowed to even be at the range with me and her boyfriend?
She can in no way be in possession of the gun. That includes holding it at all. I hate to say it, but it's probably not the best place for her to be seen, even if she's not handling a firearm.
Old June 22, 2013, 12:46 AM   #30
monoxide

Felony conviction and guns you already own...

Ok that's what I figured. It will be just me and her boyfriend going then.