The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 18, 2013, 06:07 PM   #26
Jim Watson

An aperture sight is best when close to the eye so diffraction effects can cause you to automatically center the front sight and target.
A pistol (or 1903 Springfield) puts it too far away for that to work the best.
But hey, if you like it, you like it.

I will note that a one-time leading proponent of the pistol aperture sight, D.R. Middlebrooks, went from that to the wide V "express" sight, now back to the square notch patented by Mr Patridge in 1909. He will sell you a V notch, but his first line is the square notch. No apertures available, even though his was one of the best if you didn't mind a little bulk.

I see a number of U notch sights on the market too, meant to be paired with a bead, fibre optic, or tritium night sight. Probably fast, but I see no reports of bullseye shooters using them.
Old June 18, 2013, 06:43 PM   #27
wpsdlrg

" An aperture sight is best when close to the eye so diffraction effects can cause you to automatically center the front sight and target."

It may well be "best" that way (a subjective term). However, that does not go to prove that it cannot work with the aperture distanced from the eye. In fact, as I said before, the eye will centre the front "sight" (or in my case, the target beyond) in the aperture automatically, regardless. The only caveat being that the aperture, placed at a distance, cannot be so small as to prevent a clear view through it. Nevertheless, I use a (front-mounted) aperture of 0.215" in diameter. I am using this system on a short-barreled Mauser carbine (17.5" barrel). My rear "U-notch" sight is ahead of the receiver, on the barrel, giving a relatively short sight radius (which, in and of itself, is not the most desirable arrangement, of course). Works very well for me, though.

The efficacy of an aperture, placed some distance from the eye, is EASY to prove. Simply create a test "rig", consisting of an aperture of some sort, placed a given distance from the eye..... and use it to sight on an aiming point, such as a (suitably sized) dot on a sheet of paper. You will see that your eye will still work to centre the dot in the aperture. Add a "rear sight", which could be a U-notch, or even another aperture....and you have a sighting system. Add adjustability for windage and elevation.... and you have a very usable sighting system. The advantage being that it gives an unrestricted view of the target (no front post to subtend the target face).

As I said, it works very well for me. Might not be someone else's cup of tea, though.....which is just fine.
Old June 18, 2013, 07:44 PM   #28
s4s4u

The system works, period. There are still folks who think the only bullet that can kill big game is made of solid lead, and they sound just like "that guy" so take criticism for what it's worth. My application is big game hunting and there is no open sight system that works better for me than a f/o or gold bead front and aperture rear. For anybody with an open mind and aging eyes it is at least worth a try. But that is just MHO
Old June 19, 2013, 06:38 PM   #29
Bart Noir

Quote:
One design I've always liked is the trapezium sights on the Steyr M9 pistols
I agree completely. I regret selling that gun, and may get a used one, first generation, again someday.

Bart Noir
Old June 19, 2013, 06:43 PM   #30
Bart Noir

Years back I put a "circular-ish ring sorta sight" on my SKS.

See, I am staying out of the whole controversy about what to call the darn things

I mention that carbine since that rear sight was at about the same distance from my eye as it would be on a pistol. And I just wasn't satisfied. I could not get a precise sight picture since I was never sure that I had the top of the post in the exact middle of the circle.

Now, this was for careful aiming. If I was using it for snap shooting at close ranges, I might have found it just right. So I am reading all your responses, even the rude ones, with interest.

Bart Noir
Old June 22, 2013, 08:12 AM   #31
Oceanbob

Quote:
I see a number of U notch sights on the market too, meant to be paired with a bead, fibre optic, or tritium night sight. Probably fast, but I see no reports of bullseye shooters using them.
Yes, the http://www.10-8performance.com/produ...ont-Sight.html
Front and rear http://www.10-8performance.com/produ...ear-Sight.html

For me (because different sights work for different people with aging eyes..etc) I can say I am impressed with the U Notch rear and BRASS BEAD front. Brass bead you say..?...Yes, just like my first .22 Rifle, a brass bead.

I recently built up a Glock 19 out of parts for my 13 year old daughter.

Mostly Lonewolf with a KKM barrel. Bought the bare frame from Glockmeister before the Frenzy.

My daughter actually choose these sights. We are a shooting family (5 kids, 4 are adults; we all have carry permits, some do weekend gun games..we reload and between us probably own 80 handguns) so I asked her what kind of sights she wanted. She found these on Google. Dad ordered them and I must admit, they are real easy on my eyes.!

I was surprised at the U notch and brass bead contrast. I'am old school on sights but I must admit I am changing my mind. My old eyes pick up these sights very well. Now if I can just sneak this FrankenGlock out of her room (no chance).