The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 19, 2013, 05:08 AM   #26
dahermit

Quote:
Actually I can tell you exactly the number of first time buyers I had.
Exactly how many?

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill?
Old June 19, 2013, 08:27 AM   #27
osbornk

Quote:
Actually I can tell you exactly the number of first time buyers I had.
I've been a first time buyer several times.

I was a first time buyer of a 22 magnum rifle

I was a first time buyer of a 22 semi auto rifle

I was a first time buyer of a 9mm semi-auto pistol

I was a first time buyer of a revolver

I was a first time buyer of a 22 semi-auto pistol

I was a first time buyer of a lever action rifle

When I buy a firearm, what I own is my own business and local people just need to know I have something to protect myself. I don't want to be targeted for a break-in.
Old June 19, 2013, 12:12 PM   #28
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
That folks with CCWs don't have to go through the check in some states would only be indicative of those people who do have CCWs
I've spoken to people who get their carry license before they've owned (or even shot) a gun. That's not always indicative of an experienced buyer.

Furthermore, many new buyers don't make their experience level known. The guy reciting a litany of technical features and tactical lingo could be an experienced shooter, or it could be a guy who's never actually touched a gun until that day.
Old June 19, 2013, 03:35 PM   #29
osbornk

Quote:
I've spoken to people who get their carry license before they've owned (or even shot) a gun. That's not always indicative of an experienced buyer.
The lady who issued my CC permit had hers and had never fired a gun. My daughter only shot a gun to get her CC permit (in Tennessee). Neither of them has any intention of owning or buying a gun but they both got their permits to protect their 2nd amendment rights. I suspect there are a lot of those. My neighbor has a CC permit but doesn't own a gun.