The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 17, 2013, 12:43 PM   #26
spacecoast

I highly recommend nickel-plated ammo, I've seen plain brass degrade pretty quickly in a hot humid car.

Quote:
Just my opinion, of course, but I think there is a lot bigger problem with leaving a gun in your car than the thing melting or the powder degrading. That's risking having the darn thing stolen. Lose the gun, that's tough. Lose the gun and someone uses it to kill someone, um, that's really tough. And I think if you leave a gun in a car you're partially responsible if something horrible like that happens.
Nonsense, stop blaming yourself for someone else's propensity to commit a crime. Locking your car is the same as locking your home.
Old June 17, 2013, 01:08 PM   #27
SgtLumpy

Quote:
stop blaming yourself for someone else's propensity to commit a crime. Locking your car is the same as locking your home.
No I'm not blaming myself for someone else's propensity to commit a crime. I'm patting myself on the back for making it harder for someone else to commit a crime.

Relax on your defensive posture, sir. You're allowed to do whatever it is you like within the law. Doesn't matter if I think it's brilliant or foolish.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 18, 2013, 01:08 PM   #28
LSP972

I wonder, SGT Lumpy... if some heathen steals your whole car, then gets into a wreck with it and kills someone... are you gonna feel guilty about that?

Old June 18, 2013, 04:21 PM   #29
SgtLumpy

Oh for heaven sakes, just relax. No I'm not gonna feel guilty if someone steals my car. If I kept a gun in the car and I wasn't with it, I wouldn't feel guilty, I'd feel irresponsible.

You do what you want.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 18, 2013, 04:25 PM   #30
LSP972

Oh, I will.

And I am relaxed.

Old June 18, 2013, 10:40 PM   #31
Sport45

The problem isn't someone stealing a gun from your locked vehicle.

It's not someone using the gun in a crime.

The real problem I see may be trying to prove it wasn't you who committed the crime when you're claiming after the fact your gun was stolen. Hopefully you will have a solid alibi.

If you keep a gun in your vehicle (or anywhere else, for that matter) check often to be sure it's still there. If it's gone it won't do you any good if you need it and reporting the loss quickly may keep you out of hot water.
Old June 21, 2013, 10:13 AM   #32
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

I've had no problems leaving guns in cars for 20 years in TX heat.

About the moral issue, the onus is on the legislators and/or property owners that ban carry. Thus, I should be unarmed for an entire day due to their whim?

Nope.

BTW and this is second hand, I was told a Kahr polymer grip didn't like the TX heat. True or not, I didn't see it.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old June 21, 2013, 09:44 PM   #33
Deaf Smith

Glocks work fine in Texas. I can say that for using them also for about 20 years here in Texas.

I carry my 26 with +p+ 127gr Winchester T series and maybe every 2 years shoot off the ammo in the gun and spare mag. Used to do it every year but I've never had problems with the ammo in hot or cold cars so I now go every 2 years. And since I have a practice Glock 26 I don't need to change ammo in the carry gun much. Just make sure the mag is seated every morning.

Deaf