The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 5, 2013, 09:59 AM   #1
spencey89

A gun for Dad.

My dad has been looking into getting a hand gun for a while. He has narrowed down his choices to the Springfield XD or Sig P229. For POU, self-defense and varmint elimination. Any opinions, good or bad, on either pistol, model, or caliber, would be appreciated.
Thanks

"Better to die than to be a coward"
- Ghurka Motto
Old June 5, 2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Ryu825

Of the 2 the sig is def a winner IMO. I don't own either nor have I shot any but just by holding both at a gun show once I'd choose the sig any day. It just sucks they don't make ambi guns for lefties like myself . But if your dad wants an XD and has sig money, tell him to take a look at the XD-M line those are pretty nice
Old June 5, 2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Constantine

SIG Sauer P229 for sure. No doubt. Hands down. The other doesn't even compare in my most personal experience opinion on the two.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old June 5, 2013, 10:40 AM   #4
LockedBreech

A gun for Dad.

The Sig any day and twice on Tuesdays
Old June 5, 2013, 10:54 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

choices....

From your posted choices, Id advise buying the SIG P229R DAK(Double Action Kellerman) in .357sig. Trijicon HD sights are a smart add-on.
The XDm pistol is also a great design but the DAK format would be better for defense.
The .357sig is a well engineered round. It's issued to many sworn LE officers & federal agents.
The Texas DPS & Rangers, US Secret Service, VA state police, Federal Air Marshals all use the .357sig.
Old June 5, 2013, 11:05 AM   #6
g.willikers

Is this his first handgun?
If so, the choice of gun is not nearly as important as really good instruction on how to shoot one.
After learning how, the one he will want will probably be quite different than choosing one before.
Old June 5, 2013, 11:51 AM   #7
TunnelRat

Quote:
From your posted choices, Id advise buying the SIG P229R DAK(Double Action Kellerman) in .357sig. Trijicon HD sights are a smart add-on.
To me DAK is an abomination. I buy SIGs for DA/SA. I don't get the appeal of SIG's DAK system.

Quote:
The XDm pistol is also a great design but the DAK format would be better for defense.
Why?

Quote:
The .357sig is a well engineered round. It's issued to many sworn LE officers & federal agents.
I would not recommend a firearm in .357 sig without knowing how experienced of a shooter your dad is and what his budget is like. .357 sig can be very expensive to shoot. It is a great caliber for those in law enforcement that get ammunition supplied to them and don't have to pay for it out of their pockets. Not to mention just finding it can be difficult. If you dad wants something other than 9mm I'd recommend the 40SW for now as at least ammo isn't too expensive and should be easy to find. Can buy a .357 sig barrel later and have two calibers in one.
Old June 5, 2013, 11:52 AM   #8
BarryLee

I’ve got a SIG P229 in 9mm and really love the gun. I found it to be easy to shoot, reliable, with good capacity and easy to service. While I don’t consider it a real negative it is an all metal gun and might be just a little heavier than poly-gun options.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 5, 2013, 11:54 AM   #9
spencey89

No, this is not his first. He grew up hunting anything with feathers and fur. He's just been out of the market for one for 20 years or so.

- Ghurka Motto
Old June 5, 2013, 03:45 PM   #10
spencey89

Also .40 would be optimal, since I shoot it as well.
Ammo Redundancy, it's a good thing.

I'll advise him to get the Sig, the extra $$ isn't a problem.

- Ghurka Motto
Old June 6, 2013, 02:00 AM   #11
ClydeFrog

TRs post....

The DAK format is a good pick because its safe, robust, doesn't snag or rub against your side. It's in use with 100s of sworn LE officers because of the smooth DA pull and the fact that a DA or States Atty can't make the claim you cocked a hammer or were reckless.

The SIG Sauer has a great service record & is selected by many police/military units.
The XDm is good but of the two models, the P229R with night sights would be better.

As for the .40S&W its almost neck & neck with the less popular .357sig as for marksmanship, vel, KE level, etc. The feeding/cycle of a .357sig is a lot like a 9x19mm & its easy to convert a .40 pistol to the .357sig caliber.
Old June 6, 2013, 08:16 AM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
The DAK format is a good pick because its safe, robust, doesn't snag or rub against your side.
DA/SA is safe too. And I've never had my hammer rub against my side, even IWB, or snag on clothing (though how you carry affects this).

Quote:
The SIG Sauer has a great service record & is selected by many police/military units.
If you're recommending the SIG over the XDm for service length I agree. I just don't think one is inherently better for "defense".

Quote:
its easy to convert a .40 pistol to the .357sig caliber.
Exactly. That's why I recommended getting a 40 now because it is easier and to find ammo, which is cheaper too, and told him to buy the .357 sig barrel later.
Old June 6, 2013, 08:42 AM   #13
Nathan

So, would the DAK have second strike capability?
Old June 6, 2013, 09:04 AM   #14
TunnelRat

Quote:
So, would the DAK have second strike capability?
Yes, so does standard DA/SA.

Second strike capability is, IMO, of limited use. The vast majority of schools teach tap, rack, bang. Now of course in the heat of things you might pull the trigger more than once regardless and in doing so set off the round. But It's not the recommended practice to just keep clicking away.
Old June 6, 2013, 11:00 AM   #15
ClydeFrog

what Tunnel.Rat leaves out....

What T Rat leaves out is using a DAK format avoids the bogus claim you cocked a pistol or were reckless because you had a light trigger pull & fired by mistake.
DAK pistols are not match grade weapons but they are top notch sidearms.
That is why major LE agencies like NCIS, US Secret Service, ICE, the RI State Police, & the US Coast Guard all issue DAK type SIG pistols.

CF
Old June 6, 2013, 11:16 AM   #16
TunnelRat

Quote:
What T Rat leaves out is using a DAK format avoids the bogus claim you cocked a pistol or were reckless because you had a light trigger pull & fired by mistake.
I'm not leaving anything out. So your reason for using DAK is because there is some slight chance that it might help you avoid a "bogus" claim in court? Right, I'll pass. And heck if we're going down the realm of "bogus" claims, I claim your DAK is LESS safe. My DA/SA actually has a stiffer first trigger pull. You must want that lighter first trigger pull because you're a gun fighter who wants to see innocent people killed!

See what happens when we let lawyers control logic? By the way can you point me to a recorded case where what you're claiming was actually used by a defense attorney? Or is it internet myth?
Old June 6, 2013, 11:26 AM   #17
carguychris

Quote:
The DAK pistols are also more leftie-friendly than standard DA/SA SIG's (re: Ryu825's post). Most shooters find the standard LH-side-only decocking lever to be very cumbersome to use when firing left-handed.
Old June 6, 2013, 11:32 AM   #18
TunnelRat

Quote:
Most shooters find the standard LH-side-only decocking lever to be very cumbersome to use when firing left-handed.
While I do think that's a legitimate point, there's a video of a man on youtube rappelling down a mud embankment with a combat dog dangling between his legs firing a DA/SA SIG left handed. Somehow he manages to decock the pistol a few times along the way. I agree it's an annoyance, but far from impossible. See below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctAs1t4t-vU

The point of posting this is not to say that I am as capable as a Navy Seal, lol, cause I'm sooo far from it it's laughable. The point is that if in a situation as difficult as that someone can decock left handed, I think the standard person could figure it out.

Although the placement of the decocker is one reason why I carry a pistol of a different manufacture.
Old June 6, 2013, 11:34 AM   #19
Scorch

The Sig is a better pistol all around, but this is like comparing apples and oranges.

The Sig is "old school", with a hammer, sear, safety lever, and may be more intuitive for your dad if he is an experienced shooter but is not current on designs and trends.

The XD is a striker-fired pistol, so the trigger is squishy and long, but is the same for every shot, like a Glock. I had a customer, very indignant and upset with his new XDm, rant for about 5 minutes that the trigger didn't seem all that much better after he had paid $140 for a trigger kit and installation. He said the trigger on his 1911 (which he had traded for the XDm) was better. When I explained the dynamics of striker-fired guns, he got a disgusted look on his face and asked "then what the hell good is it?" And you know, I didn't have an answer for him.
Taylor Machine
Old June 6, 2013, 03:20 PM   #20
spencey89

I think we'll just stick with a SA/DA, don't need anything too fancy.

- Ghurka Motto
Old June 9, 2013, 06:48 AM   #21
kcub

Most lefties like myself have learned to use the trigger finger to manipulate the magazine release, the slide release, and yes, even the Sig decocker (though the Beretta ambidextrous safety/decocker is preferred and welcomed by us lefties).

We also load our swingout revolvers upside down so that the cylinder is on the correct side.
Old June 10, 2013, 03:03 PM   #22
Boomer58cal

Same here on the lefty stuff.

I must say I'm slowly falling in love with my bro's XD40. What a sweet shooter.

Boomer
Old June 13, 2013, 02:35 AM   #23
peacefulgary

For the money, I don't think you can beat the Springfield Armory XD .45ACP....

Old June 13, 2013, 05:58 AM   #24
thedudeabides

The Sig P229 is a better gun in just about every way except weight. It's not even worth a comparison.

The only question is 9mm vs 40/357.
Old June 13, 2013, 08:13 AM   #25
EMH

Quote:
This is so mind boggling dumb. The argument here is that because because the DAK has a long trigger pull, the District Attorney is less likely to prosecute you in a shooting incident? But you're comparing the DAK to the DA of a DA/SA, which has a longer and stiffer trigger than the DAK! Not to mention that no Double Action on any handgun is going to prevent the prosecuting attorney from going after your ass if he thinks you messed up.

"But mister attorney, I was using double action when I shot him!"
"Welp, that solves everything. Pack it up boys, nothing to see here."