Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 8, 2013, 08:22 PM   #26
wick73

What model do you think it is?

Do you think you can figure out what model it is? Thanks again, Jason
Old June 8, 2013, 08:23 PM   #27
wick73

Model?

Do you think you can figure out what model it is?
Old June 9, 2013, 02:43 PM   #28
James K
Staff

All I can find is that those guns were called "automatic top break revolvers" meaning automatic ejection of fired and unfired cartridges when the gun is opened. There was a hammerless (concealed hammer) verson and some of the hammer guns were made with H&A's folding spur.

Jim
Old June 9, 2013, 10:35 PM   #29
wick73

Auto eject?

Mine has a small push in-release on the right side to release/remove the cylinder and then you push in one the slide ejector/rod and the shell are ejected. I have had an Auto eject type but this is different.
Old June 9, 2013, 11:43 PM   #30
James K
Staff

It may work that way, but it isn't supposed to. The button does release the cylinder so it can be removed for cleaning, but in normal use when the gun is opened a cam should push up on the ejector rod and eject the cases without removing the cylinder. If that doesn't happen, other parts may be missing or broken.

Jim
Old June 10, 2013, 02:32 PM   #31
wick73

Ejector

This gun does not have the auto ejector cam with the little triangular steel spring. I had a auto eject cam assembly thinking it was proper for this model. But the thickness of the auto ejector cam was much thinner and did not engage or eject when installed. The auto ejector cam as you know has a small lip the contacts the trigger guard to cycle the ejection. It simple would not work. I have shown it to a local gun shop guy that has as also dealt with these old firearms and he said the very early models had no auto eject cam assembly. You had to remove the cylinder and push the ejector rod, that's way the quick release was there. He then wanted to buy it and tried very hard to get it from me. I not sure about any of it as I an a novice in this area. I would still like you to get hands on it.
Old June 10, 2013, 08:22 PM   #32
James K
Staff

I give up. I have never seen or heard of a top-break revolver that worked that way, so I will have to think you have some kind of really rare gun. Unfortunately, that might not reflect in value if you were to sell it.

Jim
Old June 10, 2013, 10:36 PM   #33
wick73

I'm at a loss my self.

I'm at a loss to Jim. I not ready to part with it yet. It has been in my family 80 some years. I just love to put a round though it once in a with and it still functions, just not perfectly.