The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 3, 2013, 08:21 PM   #1
DruidKing

need rifle suggestion

Hey,
So I am looking to get a new rifle and I am entertaining suggestions. Keep in mind I live in NY so I can't get any kind of "assault" rifle. Also keep in mind I am left handed so I would prefer not to get anything that is going to eject shell casing into my face, lol. I really like the Ruger Mini 14, but I read that the brass casings tend to eject very close to the face if shot left handed. So far I've got the Beretta Storm, Saiga 7.62 and Ruger 10/20. Any ideas you want to throw in the ring?
Old June 3, 2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Kimber84

need rifle suggestion

I'd start by moving out of New York...

Old June 3, 2013, 09:48 PM   #3
tahunua001

I would go with the storm from your options. a ban compliant AR would be nice though. thumbhole stock to get rid of the pistol grip, 5 round mags and no muzzle break, actually not a bad rifle.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old June 3, 2013, 10:10 PM   #4
TwentyToo

need rifle suggestion

What'll be the primary purpose of the rifle besides being legal in NY?
Old June 3, 2013, 10:40 PM   #5
DruidKing

The purpose is just for collectings sake I guess. I already own the Storm, the 10/22 and the saiga. I'm looking to add a 4th. Someone suggested a lever action that shoots a 357, which is an interesting idea. I also would like to get something that fires either a 223 or a 556.
Old June 3, 2013, 10:56 PM   #6
tahunua001

ahh sorry, I thought those were part of your list. I still stand by the ban compliant AR I suggested earlier. however reading more into safe act even thumbholes are now banned... god I hate your state. you can get non thumbhole style grips for the AR but they look like they would just feel wonky to me.

another you could work with would be an SKS but then you would have to get a non yugoslavian version and remove the bayonet lug to make it legal for them but then since it would be removed from stock configuration, good ole 922R would make you have to buy a new stock without the scary features and a plastic magazine to make it federally sound so that's going to be a $400 venture at the cheapest.

a lever gun would be a good option though 357 can have wild shifts in point of impact depending on different types of ammo you put in it.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old June 4, 2013, 04:58 AM   #7
Ryu825

I'd start by moving out of NY

+1 on that lol. Come down here to ga where I keep finding out more and more stuff I CAN do legally. About the only thing I can't do with guns here is shoot outside too close to a street.
Anyway you should get a revolver carbine. Idk if they're any good as I've never tried one but they sure do look cool especially in ss and you won't have to worry about brass slapping you in the face
Old June 4, 2013, 07:52 AM   #8
arch308

I would suggest a good lever action as I think every collection should have at least one. A pistol caliber carbine is alot of fun and can be very useful in a SHTF situation. JMO
Old June 4, 2013, 08:12 AM   #9
mxsailor803

Fair warning on lever guns, you can't own just one. They are extremely addicting.
Old June 4, 2013, 03:54 PM   #10
TwentyToo

need rifle suggestion

How about a bolt action 22? Notwithstanding the current drought, they're very cheap to shoot and more accurate than your 10/22.

I've Savage, Marlin and Ruger bolt 22s. All of those are great but the Rugers are my personal favorites.

A 270 would cover you for any North American game hunting.