The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 3, 2013, 12:17 PM   #26
rclark

Quote:
Beams are nice,but cumbersome and to darn slow.
I never found it so... I just use mine to setup the power measure, and then spot check from then on. I've had my 'original' Hornady beam scale since around 1980 and it is accurate as ever. I bought a set of check weights maybe a year, two years ago because, at that time, I was concerned with some chronograph readings I was getting. It was still reading right on the money... I see no need to go electronic IMO.... At least how I use it .
A clinger. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes improperly referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. Ok.... the .44Spec is growing on me ... but the .45 Colt is still king.
Old June 3, 2013, 12:18 PM   #27
mmb713

Wyoredman wrote:

Quote:
Then I bought a chronograph. I decided to make 20 rounds the old way - trickle and weigh on the beam scale - and 20 rounds with the electronic scale/dispenser.

Over the chronograph, there was zero, nada, nill, zip difference in velocity, SD or velocity spread between the trickled and mechanized powder charges!
I've done similar experiments when I first got my chrono, but I didn't have an electronic dispenser. I tested trickled and weighed charges vs. charges thrown from my Uniflow. I used Blue Dot in 357 Magnum. I was testing to see how much consistency I was giving up by using thrown charges with its variation from charge to charge with a coarse powder like Blue Dot and spot on weighed charges. What I found was the velocities were identical but the thrown charges were more consistent than the weighed charges. Repeated testing came up with the same results, even in other cartridges and a different powder. I don't use the trickler so much anymore and won't be wasting money on a dispenser either.
Old June 3, 2013, 07:52 PM   #28
noylj

Dispensers, for me, are valuable while working up a load.
It takes too long to get the measure set to weight you want and then to ensure that it is stable. Much easier to whip out 10-20 rounds of a specific charge on the dispenser.
Production calls for a powder measure. Testing is just quicker with a dispenser.
PS: I gave up on beams back in the late '70s when Ainsworth came out with an "affordable" digital. Mine still works.
If you like beams--great. If you like digitals--great.
However, the number of dirty, chipped, worn-out beams I have seen...