The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 22, 2001, 04:49 PM   #1
EtherSage

This wkend I got a little introdution to Action pistol shooting at my local range. It's not IDPA.
I think it's classified NRA action pistol rules.
All kinds of guns alowed from .38 to .45 stock. I think there is a separate class for modified pistols and I don't know what classifies a gun as modified . I've got a lot to learn.
FEEDBACK? What is the best guns to use for action pistol?
I saw mostly full frame. .45s and 9mms semi autos ALL different manufacturers.
All I own now is a Taurus .357 revolver a Kel-Tec P-11 and P-32
I'm going to have to get another pistol if I get involved with this sport.
Old April 22, 2001, 09:23 PM   #2
Lmccrock

First, you might find out the rules. I am not familiar with NRA Action Shooting. I have no answers for you, but some questions for you to consider.

Second, see the rules because different calibers might be classified differently. Generally, 9mm ammo can be gotten cheap. Generally, .45acp knocks plates down better (yes, I know 9mm and 10mm and .40 also knock down plates). Any plates or poppers to knock down?

Last, is magazine capacity an issue? That is, are the courses capacity-neutral? If so, your Taurus might work ok, for a while. Some claim that revolvers can be loaded faster than semi-autos, especially if moon clips are used for the revolvers.

Have fun.

Lee

Old April 26, 2001, 12:10 AM   #3
George in NePa

NRA Action Pistol is a neat game. It seems to be dying around here, though(Pa, NY, NJ). The National Championship is called The Bianchi Cup. The 4 main courses of fire are:
1) Falling plates
2) The Mover
3) The Barricade
4) The Practical
All events are revolver nuetral, in fact, all events are 6 rounds maximum per string. All of the main events are 48 rounds each.

Up until a few years ago the revolver ruled the game, now many are switching to tube guns. These are 1911's that have a scope mount shaped like a tube that covers the slide. This is to shoot the Barricade event. You clamp the gun onto the barricade and squeeze off 6 quick ones. The move to autos is mainly because it's easier to shoot the mover event with a 1911.

Action Pistol isn't quite IPSC speed and not quite Bullseye accurate. It's a mix. The 10 yard barricade string is 6 rounds in 5 seconds, two runs, one on each side of the barricade. The X-ring is 4 inches, the 10 is 8 inches. The 10 yard falling plate strings are two runs, 6 seconds each, knock down all 6 plates. The 10 yard mover string is 6 rounds on a taget that traverses a 60 foot range in six seconds. The first 3 practical strings are 2 rounds on a 5 yard target in 2 seconds.

All targets are the Bianchi "tombstone" shape. The plates are 8 inches across. All strings start with your gun in holster. All starting posistions are either hands above shoulders or on barricade at or above shoulder height.

This doesn't cover it all, but it's a start.

Here's a few pics of my rig.

Old May 1, 2001, 11:36 AM   #4
Alleycat

Where in Oregon are you?