The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old May 26, 2013, 11:10 PM   #1
Silver00LT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 6, 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 286
Did I just die?

All Walmarts within two hours drive, LGS, pawn shops, etc. Have been OUT of DOMESTIC made 9MM ammo since December.

I was in Walmart today getting some stuff for the outside projects...I always walk through the sporting goods to see what ammo they currently have in.

Day before Memorial Day packed Walmart, and they have this....


Asked how many...clerk said three(three box limit sign posted). She said you want all three? I said no thank you just two. I rather someone else come buy that last box. She stated I was the first to say that. She said normally people come in and buy everything possible.

Yes, I know I reload...but I need to do a factory test and I am out of factory made ammo. Price only went up 50ยข. Normally paid $23.97.

Glad to know local retailers are slowly able to keep these on the shelves. The scalpers still post away in the local sell paper....they either have thousands and thousands of boxes or people don't purchase from them(thank god).

Now....just need some .22LR the wife is dying to shoot, but she won't shoot even 50 from my 1500 rounds. She said she rather wait and be able to shoot 500+ per range visit.
__________________
My YouTube MOLON LABE
Training pays off...so keep active with your firearm. It could save your life one day.
Silver00LT is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 12:09 AM   #2
9mm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 9, 2011
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 2,720
lol @ 7% sales tax. I just bought (2x) of those last week. Walmarts gets ammo shipments 2-4x weekly here. When I go the plaec is packed with swarmers grabbing boxes.
__________________
See user title
9mm is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 12:35 AM   #3
LockedBreech
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 6, 2009
Location: Rocky Mountain West
Posts: 3,150
Did I just die?

I kinda hope the overzealous folks buying 50 pallets of ammo and severely upselling it end up eating the loss when the market stabilizes. I support the free market, but that doesn't mean I approve of such shenanigans. I don't want it to be illegal, but I also like just desserts.

TL;DR - Good on you for leaving a box.
LockedBreech is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 02:55 AM   #4
Gallstones
Member
 
Join Date: February 1, 2013
Location: Goosetown in the Pintlers
Posts: 28
I was able to pick up one box of 100 Winchester 40 S&W and two 50 boxes 9mm from my Wal Mart. Although full the day before the shelves were sparse the next day when I got there. Still I was not only able to buy what I wanted, I had some choice too.

I really hope this is a change.
Gallstones is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 07:02 AM   #5
Silver00LT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 6, 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 286
Quote:
lol @ 7% sales tax. I just bought (2x) of those last week. Walmarts gets ammo shipments 2-4x weekly here. When I go the plaec is packed with swarmers grabbing boxes.
Sometimes I pay 10% the 10% is in rural run down areas. LOL

Quote:
I kinda hope the overzealous folks buying 50 pallets of ammo and severely upselling it end up eating the loss when the market stabilizes. I support the free market, but that doesn't mean I approve of such shenanigans. I don't want it to be illegal, but I also like just desserts.

TL;DR - Good on you for leaving a box.
We have a local buy/sell bulletin paper here with an "Opinion" topic thread. Scalpers hate me. Because I type who has ammo and how much.

I want to drive scalpers out of business. They are doing more harm than good. Adding a couple bucks is okay. That's business. But selling Walmart ammo for 3x-4x the original cost is scalping and I am against scalping.

Quote:
I was able to pick up one box of 100 Winchester 40 S&W and two 50 boxes 9mm from my Wal Mart. Although full the day before the shelves were sparse the next day when I got there. Still I was not only able to buy what I wanted, I had some choice too.

I really hope this is a change.
I think once people stop fueling the scalpers they'll realize they are losing money and will stop stocking up on ammo to resale.
__________________
My YouTube MOLON LABE
Training pays off...so keep active with your firearm. It could save your life one day.
Silver00LT is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 07:37 AM   #6
Closing The Gap
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 2, 2013
Location: Michigan/Nevada
Posts: 253
I've been buying from Walmart all along. All you have to do is get their app and follow the "in stock" pattern. If you get to the store early enough, you can buy what you need, and thwart the grumpy re-sellers in the process.
__________________
Half the country hates my business, the other half my hobby.
Closing The Gap is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 07:49 AM   #7
Silver00LT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 6, 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 286
Quote:
I've been buying from Walmart all along. All you have to do is get their app and follow the "in stock" pattern. If you get to the store early enough, you can buy what you need, and thwart the grumpy re-sellers in the process.
How can I find out their pattern...I have no clue when their trucks show up. Clerks don't tell me anything.
__________________
My YouTube MOLON LABE
Training pays off...so keep active with your firearm. It could save your life one day.
Silver00LT is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 08:06 AM   #8
Closing The Gap
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 2, 2013
Location: Michigan/Nevada
Posts: 253
Get the app. Search ammo and click the link to the nearest store regardless of it saying out of stock. This will bring a list of the closest stores to your location and their inventory status. In stock means they either have it on a truck heading to the store, its at the store waiting to be put on the shelves or its on the shelves. Limited stock means 1-3 boxes left. Out of stock means just that.

As for when they put it out its generally 7am but to beat or join the line of re-sellers you should get their early(4-6am). Some stores put it out the evening they get the truck in. Talk to the employees who work that section and ask if they know when the store puts out the ammo. Also ask what days they get trucks. If you watch the app each day and check it regularly you'll see a pattern develop. For instance near me most stores get ammo on Thursdays, the closest store puts it out Friday morning while the next closest puts it out Thursday between 6:30 and 10:00 pm depending on when they off load it and check it into their inventory. Also some stores have been getting ammo on Tuesdays recently and Ive seen a few Saturday deliveries lately too. Near me it seems to alternate, one delivery is mainly Winchester white box and bulk .22 packs, while the next delivery will have mainly Federal Champion in it. Tulammo has been coming lots lately too, which has made my AK very happy.

I've been lucky enough to make a friend of one older gentleman who works in that section of my closest store. He was taking a group of foster kids to the dnr range nearby but didnt have enough 22 because Walmart policy states employees cannot buy ammo until its been on the shelf for 24 hours. So I offered him some of mine at cost since I always have lots on hand for myself, my wife, and our two sons to shoot. He took me up on the offer and asked what I was looking for that day. I was looking for 9mm Federal since their system said it was in stock but when I arrived it wasn't. He said "you're in luck" reached under the counter and handed me two boxes. I was stunned. He said he always pulls the 9mm and sells it to whomever through the day because he was tired of the same guys getting it every morning. This is why I must EMPHASIZE talk to and make friends with the employees. They have the information. Some will even show you the inventory sheet with a list of all the ammo on the current truck. It has kept me my wife and boys shooting all along.

Edit: If you look at the ammo for sale each day on Armslist you can usually see what ammo was in stock at local stores. I see the same stuff that I buy at Walmart the very same days go up for sale on there. Also I see the Remington bulk packs that Dunhams Sports gets in on Thursdays as well. Its no conspiracy its truly people buying and reselling regularly. Here in metro Detroit their are lots of people out of work, its those people who have the time and found the opportunity. I dont blame them, Id blame myself if I wasnt able to out work or out smart them.
__________________
Half the country hates my business, the other half my hobby.

Last edited by Closing The Gap; May 27, 2013 at 08:14 AM.
Closing The Gap is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 08:10 AM   #9
Silver00LT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 6, 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 286
Quote:
Get the app. Search ammo and click the link to the nearest store regardless of it saying out of stock. This will bring a list of the closest stores to your location and their inventory status. In stock means they either have it on a truck heading to the store, its at the store waiting to be put on the shelves or its on the shelves. Limited stock means 1-3 boxes left. Out of stock means just that.

As for when they put it out its generally 7am but to beat or join the line of re-sellers you should get their early(4-6am). Some stores put it out the evening they get the truck in. Talk to the employees who work that section and ask if they know when the store puts out the ammo. Also ask what days they get trucks. If you watch the app each day and check it regularly you'll see a pattern develop. For instance near me most stores get ammo on Thursdays, the closest store puts it out Friday morning while the next closest puts it out Thursday between 6:30 and 10:00 pm depending on when they off load it and check it into their inventory. Also some stores have been getting ammo on Tuesdays recently and Ive seen a few Saturday deliveries lately too. Near me it seems to alternate, one delivery is mainly Winchester white box and bulk .22 packs, while the next delivery will have mainly Federal Champion in it. Tulammo has been coming lots lately too, which has made my AK very happy.

I've been lucky enough to make a friend of one older gentleman who works in that section of my closest store. He was taking a group of foster kids to the dnr range nearby but didnt have enough 22 because Walmart policy states employees cannot buy ammo until its been on the shelf for 24 hours. So I offered him some of mine at cost since I always have lots on hand for myself, my wife, and our two sons to shoot. He took me up on the offer and asked what I was looking for that day. I was looking for 9mm Federal since their system said it was in stock but when I arrived it wasn't. He said "you're in luck" reached under the counter and handed me two boxes. I was stunned. He said he always pulls the 9mm and sells it to whomever through the day because he was tired of the same guys getting it every morning. This is why I must EMPHASIZE talk to and make friends with the employees. They have the information. Some will even show you the inventory sheet with a list of all the ammo on the current truck. It has kept me my wife and boys shooting all along.
Yeah the clerks at the Walmart by me say no and walk off. It's like

I work 3rd shift so I stop by around 430-6a just to browse.
__________________
My YouTube MOLON LABE
Training pays off...so keep active with your firearm. It could save your life one day.
Silver00LT is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 08:17 AM   #10
Closing The Gap
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 2, 2013
Location: Michigan/Nevada
Posts: 253
Thats the right time but you probably want to hang around until 7am. Get the app. Check the stock before you head there at that time. If its in stock go and wait. If it never says in stock chances are they put it out in the evening. Try the next closest Walmart. Also not all employees have a clue, but all the managers do. Ask one if the others don't have an answer.
__________________
Half the country hates my business, the other half my hobby.
Closing The Gap is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 08:21 AM   #11
Closing The Gap
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 2, 2013
Location: Michigan/Nevada
Posts: 253
I now solely rely on the app when I need ammo. I usually buy 2 times a month unless I'm low on something I'll need for a range trip that week and I see it in stock.

I have to add that I own and operate my business and usually work from home. I'm fortunate enough to be able to do what I want when I want. Also ive worked at Walmart while waiting. My laptop and wifi card come in very handy. I fully understand not having the time to do all this. Its why I shared what I've learned. If you follow the pattern you can save all that wasted time stopping by for other things and simply go when its their and get your 3 boxes.
__________________
Half the country hates my business, the other half my hobby.

Last edited by Closing The Gap; May 27, 2013 at 08:51 AM.
Closing The Gap is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 08:55 AM   #12
rickyrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 15, 2010
Location: Mesquite Jungle Desert, West Texas, USA
Posts: 2,467
we have a huge problem with reseller.
usually the same guy and our local walmart doesn't enforce any limits on his purchases. He buys everything that shows up. Shady character, advertises on craigs list meet people in parking lots
__________________
Navin R. Johnson: "He hates these cans!!!! Stay away from the cans!!!!"
rickyrick is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 10:48 AM   #13
Silver00LT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 6, 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 286
Quote:
we have a huge problem with reseller.
usually the same guy and our local walmart doesn't enforce any limits on his purchases. He buys everything that shows up. Shady character, advertises on craigs list meet people in parking lots
I meet people in parking lots...only place I'll meet anyone I do not know. Never at my house nor do I drive to theirs.

It is always a well established, lite, security cam parking lot....I also got Baby with me anyways.

Read too many stories off people being murdered meeting from buy/sell papers and Craigslist.

Quote:
I now solely rely on the app when I need ammo. I usually buy 2 times a month unless I'm low on something I'll need for a range trip that week and I see it in stock.

I have to add that I own and operate my business and usually work from home. I'm fortunate enough to be able to do what I want when I want. Also ive worked at Walmart while waiting. My laptop and wifi card come in very handy. I fully understand not having the time to do all this. Its why I shared what I've learned. If you follow the pattern you can save all that wasted time stopping by for other things and simply go when its their and get your 3 boxes.
Sounds like I have some customer relations skills to build with a few people. lol
__________________
My YouTube MOLON LABE
Training pays off...so keep active with your firearm. It could save your life one day.
Silver00LT is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 10:57 AM   #14
Vanya
Staff
 
Join Date: July 7, 2008
Location: Upper midwest
Posts: 4,026
The "Where is everything?" thread -- guns, ammo, primers, powder, etc... is still the one, central thread where discussions of the price and availability of these things should now be taking place. Feel free to continue the conversation there.
__________________
"Once the writer in every individual comes to life (and that time is not far off), we are in for an age of universal deafness and lack of understanding."
(Milan Kundera, Book of Laughter and Forgetting, 1980)
Vanya is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2014 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.11590 seconds with 9 queries