The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 22, 2013, 10:40 PM   #26
dgludwig

I would say it depends a lot on which cartridge you're using and the size of the target. The absolute range of a 10x (or any other magnification) is predicated on so many variables that a definitive answer to your question is well near impossible without knowing all of the factors in play for a given proposition or application.
Old May 23, 2013, 08:47 AM   #27
Picher

When much younger, I'd have killed for a 10x scope on my varmint rifle, but with the prevalence of variables and much better optics, find more flexibility in 4-14x variables.

It's amazing how well I can define objects with my Leopold Vari-X II and 2 scopes at 8x. At nearly 300 yards, i can clearly see strings across the blueberry field laid by the harvester crew. Most lower quality scopes can't do that for me. Surely, there are more expensive scopes and higher-powered ones that will do better than that at the same power setting, but why bother use one in Maine, where wind, water vapor, mirage, and trees/hills prevent high-probability varmint/game shots beyond 400 yards?

Under ideal conditions, from a bench, my rifles will shoot 1/2 min or better, but field shot length on deer is "self-limited" to 400 yards, even with a rest.
People are like rifles. Some are tried and true, having great eyes, personality, and fun to be with. Others never seem to hit the mark with you. Still others go off half-cocked. Still, it's nice to know most of them.
Old May 23, 2013, 05:07 PM   #28
Ben Dover

I still have a 10X Leupold on my .22 bolt rifle. But it's used exclusively for informal target and plinking.