The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 15, 2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Consort

Kel-Tec P32

I have a Kel-Tec P32 that I pocket carry as a BUG. The slide used to lock back on an empty magazine, but it doesn't any longer. I've experimented with different mags....same result. Any ideas??
Old May 15, 2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Old_Dog

Yes, buy a better gun next time. There is a reason why so many say that you get what you pay for. That especially applies to complex mechanical things like guns. You can send it back as Kel-tec gives you a lifetime warranty because they could not sell their guns otherwise.

Seriously, when your life is at stake, you should not skimp. Just something I learned over 4 decades of using a gun.

Gun resources for senior citizens at The Old Gunhand
Old May 15, 2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Jacobie

So old dog, what problems have you personally had with your p32? I have owned a number of them with no problems.
Old May 15, 2013, 02:43 PM   #4
Consort

Old Dog - I appreciate your reply. Please note that this particular pistol is reponsible for me being here today as it enabled me to neutralize an attacker when my duty weapon, a .40 Sig-Sauer 226 DAK, malfunctioned. Kel-Tec quality might be suspect in your eyes, but I am appreciative of the little P-32 and so are my wife and two daughters.
Old May 15, 2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Dan-O

Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

My guess would be a weak slide stop spring part #284 on the schematic. Call KT customer service. They should send you a replacement for free. Might want to tell them what is happening to see if they concur. Guess it could also be a weak mag spring, or a deformed follower too. Im guessing it is a weak slide stop spring though. Or the gun just needs a good deep cleaning (detail strip) as lint might have found it's way in there and bunched things up.
Old May 15, 2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Nathan

I too like my KelTec P32. It is too bad when Internet negativity flows like that. Mine runs fine. Sounds like Dan-0 found a solution.
Old May 15, 2013, 07:03 PM   #7
PT-92

Looks like there's no bark left to that "old dog.'
Old May 15, 2013, 08:30 PM   #8
Consort

Thanks Dan-O. I will check that spring. I'll weigh in later and let you now what I learn.
Old May 15, 2013, 09:19 PM   #9
Jacobie

Nathan, I to like kt, except for the .380. I have owned one and always had problems, but I will chalk it up to user error.

To the other guy, glad to hear your p32 saved you.
Old May 15, 2013, 09:42 PM   #10
PT-92

BTW, I have a couple of P11's which I regard as one of the best options available for a compact Hi-Cap 9mm (10-15 rounds depending on choice of Mag as it will accept the S&W 59 mag)--they have been rock solid going on ten years now with K's fired via one and not quite 1K through the other (I like to buy two of the same CCW so I can shoot the utter crap out of one while making sure the other remains reliable [just my own deal]).

I also have the Sub 2K (a couple) which is about the most practical carbine I have ever owned (literally can fold it up and carry it in a briefcase).

Point is that for a "small" company (relatively speaking) they have brought some revolutionary products to market (look at the compact .380 craze that started with Kel-Tec quickly to be copied by others) and now the most recent example, namely, the KSG beast of a shotgun which I have had the good fortune of shooting (but not owning one yet as I am tapped out at the moment).

They have announced that they are upgrading their facilities as we all KNOW they have a major production problem (as far as meeting demand) and it predates the panic which has only exacerbated the problem.
Old May 15, 2013, 09:57 PM   #11
RJay

Yes, there is a small spring in the receiver that locks the slide. It has been known to work loose and or break. Call or E-Mail Kel-Tec and they will send you a new spring kit, no questions asked. Easy job to do. On such a small gun I don't feel the hold open latch serves much purpose, I've been thinking of disconnecting mine, just too lazy to do so. In reference to Kel-Tec quality, odd, I've had mine for several years and I'm quite pleased with it. I have my choice of carry weapons, Colts, S&Ws, even a couple of Rugers. So yes, you get what you pay for and I'm quite pleased with my little P-32. It is light, reliable and is the gun that slips into my pocket most of the time instead of a 36 ounce .45. I also have a NAA Guardian but that is also a little chunk of steel to be carrying around. Just my 2 cents and I have a few more pennies.
Old May 16, 2013, 03:04 PM   #12
Sid

Keltec is not a "small" company. It is now the third largest manufacturer of handguns in this country. Their products are innovative and give good value for the money. I am on my second P32 and have shot thousands of handloads through it without a problem. The small size, reliability and lightweight make it easy to just slip into my pocket. That is the reason it is so popular.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:07 PM   #13
sgms

With you on the P-11 PT92. Retired my P32 when I got one of the P-11's, Hard on the hands but one of the smallest high cap. 9's out there.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:56 PM   #14
PT-92

Quote:
With you on the P-11 PT92. Retired my P32 when I got one of the P-11's, Hard on the hands but one of the smallest high cap. 9's out there.
sgms,

You are spot on with that--IMO (and it appears your's as well as many P11 owners I should think) the P11 is designed to be a marvelous tool for the role of SD/HD/CCW, but a "fun day at the range gun" it is not . Personally, I practice with it frequently enough that I am totally comfortable and confident should the need ever arise that I have to deploy it in SD (of course, that comfort level is subjective and may/will vary from one individual to another).

But for other shooting occasions, be it either plinking, range or competitive, I have other much more forgiving models (A few weeks back I finished firing about 75 rounds of both cheap 115gr bulk and hot 135gr Critical Duty via the P11 and then switched over to my SIG 1911-22 and it literally felt like I was shooting BB's).
Old May 16, 2013, 10:51 PM   #15
sgms

PT-92, you added a great deal of detail and all of it correct.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:55 PM   #16
michael t

Theirs 3 are P-32's for the gals and I have a PF-9 and a P3AT

Last daughter is wait for her CCW to come in mail. She wants a P3AT . All of these KT have served well and never had any problems .
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old May 16, 2013, 11:11 PM   #17
bonefamily

The P-32 is a great pistol - one of their best, IMO
Old May 17, 2013, 06:06 PM   #18
franco45

Carry mine as a bug daily and as primary when at the gym. 100% since day one. Old Dog, I too am curious about your personal experience with Kel-Tec's and especially the P32.
Old May 17, 2013, 08:07 PM   #19
Consort

I contacted Kel-Tec and a new spring is on its way; I'll keep you posted.
Old May 19, 2013, 09:49 PM   #20
Te Anau

Quote:
Yes, buy a better gun next time.
Geez.....
Old May 19, 2013, 10:10 PM   #21
Terry A

My wife's P32 worked great, except for Herters ammo. But that's got to be one of the worst ammo brand s around.

We sold it and got her a S&W Bodyguard after she shot several hundred rounds thru it. Her friend who bought the P32 never had any complaints with it either.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old May 20, 2013, 07:27 AM   #22
JasonJ

Strange, as the Herter's brand ammo is made by S&B, one of the better manufacturers of 32acp.. in fact I use S&B 7.62x54r as my ammo of choice in my Mosin Nagant for deer hunting.

but.. every guns different..