The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 16, 2013, 10:39 AM   #1
cmdc

Need opinions on weatherby Accumark 300wby

Like, how's recoil compared to 30-06 or 300 win mag. What is it best suited for?

Thanks
Old May 16, 2013, 11:01 AM   #2
leadbutt

I had the MK-5, but the recoil is a step up from the 06 and Win -mag, I mean go fiqure more powder, I used mine for deer up to Moose and black bear, know several who have used it for Elk also, and has done well as a Plains Game round in Africa,
Old May 17, 2013, 02:09 AM   #3
natman

Recoil from a 300 Weatherby is fast and sharp. It's like getting punched in the jaw. Although there is unquestionably more recoil from a 458 Winchester, I actually prefer to shoot it because while the recoil is large, it's slow enough that you can sort of roll with it. Not so the Weatherby.

That said it's a formidable round, powerful and flat shooting. It would be great for elk, moose and similar. Ammo is expensive and premium bullets are a must. If the game gets really big, I'd personally prefer to trade some of that velocity for a bit more frontal area and bullet weight, but that's JMHO.
Old May 17, 2013, 07:59 AM   #4
cvc944

I have rifles chambered for all three cartridges you mentioned. Recoil-wise, the .300 Roy is a bit more than a .300 Win, and a lot more than an '06. It is fast and loud and it comes back at you with considerable force, but it is far nicer to shoot than the RUM and Lazzaroni's Warbird. Some people have even started calling it a 'middle magnum'. Ammo is costly, Even hand-loading a plain old cup'n'core bullet costs me almost a buck per round.
Old May 17, 2013, 09:41 AM   #5
cmdc

Hmm. Methinks I will pass on that rifle. Even though it is a beauty, it is too much rifle for my needs and purposes. I already have a 30-06 and 300 Win Mag that I don't shoot, not because of recoil, but because I don't hunt anything that requires that much horsepower. Thanks to all for the input.