The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 13, 2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Dunecigar

Bersa Mini-Thunder .45. A good gun in .45?

American citizen (Bersa .380, SW442, DP51, CCWP) living in Guatemala City, Guatemala, Central America.

Dear Fellow Readers and Writers,

As always, I come to you humbly seeking your knowledge and advice.

As you have probably come to know, from reading my other threads, in this third world country I lack the variety and quantity as those living in my native United States of America. Thus, I am left with only a limited assortment of weapons to choose from, all at double the cost.

Because of this the Bersa line of handguns is the best bang for my buck, ie; quality and cost.

Being that I am in the market for a .45 I have found only huge hi-caps that only a narco could love or full size GI slide 1911s. However, I finally came across the Bersa Mini-Thunder .45. Though the quality and reliability are not in question, this gun's ability to accommodate a .45 round is.

Hence my question. Is the Bersa Mini-Thunder .45 is wise purchase for a .45 caliber handgun?
Old May 13, 2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Lordy123

I've never shot one, but I've always liked their .380 and know many people who trust the brand as their conceal carry tool.
Old May 13, 2013, 05:13 PM   #3
arch308

I recently acquired a Thunder 45 Ultra Compact and am in love with it. Very accurate and reliable so far and comfortable for it's size. I've also had good luck with their Thunder .380s. I think Bersa is a very under rated brand that people here in the US are starting to discover.
I've no expierence with the Mini-Thunder but would bet it is a good weapon based on my limited time with the brand and internet chatter. I haven't read any negative remarks about Bersa except about the finish.
Old May 13, 2013, 08:19 PM   #4
steveNChunter

Cant speak for the .45 but I have a Bersa Thunder 9 UC and it's my CCW. Outstanding little pistol. Bersa is very underrated IMO

"I never said half the crap that people on the internet claim I said" - Abraham Lincoln
Old May 13, 2013, 09:50 PM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
Being that I am in the market for a .45 I have found only huge hi-caps that only a narco could love or full size GI slide 1911s. However, I finally came across the Bersa Mini-Thunder .45. Though the quality and reliability are not in question, this gun's ability to accommodate a .45 round is.

Hence my question. Is the Bersa Mini-Thunder .45 is wise purchase for a .45 caliber handgun?
It'll accommodate .45 ACP just fine.

Just make sure your hand is big enough. The grip is pretty big around, It is a double stack .45 after all.

Magazines are on the pricey side.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 14, 2013, 03:42 PM   #6
g.willikers

No highjacking of the threat intended, but tell us what's involved in buying and owning firearms there, please.
Old May 14, 2013, 08:29 PM   #7
huskybiker

I have the Firestorm Mini 45, which is pretty much the same gun. I love it for what it is. Feels good, shoots good. I think it would be a great choice.
Old May 14, 2013, 09:37 PM   #8
superspirit

I have a Bersa high cap thunder 9 and it has never had 1 malfunction in over a 1000 rds, I have been looking at the 45 UC, but just cant justify another 45 right now. As the others said I think Bersa has been underated they are great guns.````
Old May 15, 2013, 02:58 AM   #9
Yankee001

Bersa 45

It is an excellent pistol and very well made. Go to Bersa Chat.com on the Internet and read the reply's of many people who own this pistol. I have the 9mm version, which I bought 2 1/2 years ago, and have shot over 10,000 rounds through it without any problems. You will get a great pistol for the money. They are made in Argentina.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:26 PM   #10
michael t

http://bersachat.com join and talk with owners that shoot and carry the Bersa45 .
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old May 16, 2013, 11:36 PM   #11

It's a double stack? Only holds 7, that's kinda strange
Old May 16, 2013, 11:57 PM   #12
chris in va

It's a compact 45, 7 rounds is about right.
Old June 5, 2013, 12:52 PM   #13
Dunecigar

Dear g.willikers,

I am happy to answer to your question. Be prepared it is a bit long, but here we go.:

Guatemala is a small Central American country (roughly the size of the state of Ohio) with a population of 13 million thus making it a third world country with third world country problems; corruption, huge birth rates, lack of education, lack of opportunity, low wages, and of course a shocking crime rate (think being killed for your Fossil watch.

Because of this crime rate, Guatemala's constitution states that any/all citizens, nationals, or legal residents with a clean criminal record can own a firearm in their home and a farmer can own a bolt action hunting rifle on his/her property.

Side note: This country has determined firearms for non-military, ie; civilians are limited to non-Belica (BELL-LEE-KA) type weapons. Such as handguns, shotguns, and bolt action hunting rifles on farming property only. No long rifles (M16, AK47, etc) full auto or semi. No machine pistols (UZI, Ingram, etc) full auto or semi. And no Belica looking weapons (Scorpion, TEC-9, etc).

Once the gun is purchase, a person has 24 hours to get it home. These 24 hours are used for the buyer to perhaps go to a firing range, drive a long distance... whatever, but as soon as the 24 hours are up the gun most be inside the home and it can not be taken out unless with a permission slip from DIGECAM, the country gun monitoring office.

However, Guatemala does offer the gunowner the ability to obtain a Carry Permit. The criteria to do so is the following:
1. Pass a pychological exam.
2. Pass a written exam on gun safety.
3. Pass a shooting/marksman exam, conducted by the Guatemalan military on military property ( very fun by the way)
4. Tons of paperwork and fees.

Though you can't openly carry your weapon, A. so as not to scare people (they just ended a 36year Civil War) and B. so not to be killed for your gun, you don't have to conceal carry either. So what I do is carry it in a holster between hip bone and bellybutton with a sportcoat, if a little shows no big deal.

A coupe of weird laws here; Extend mags which are allowed but if in a firefight the first round must come from the original magazine that was purchased with the gun. Also bullets are high regulated, a person can only buy 5 boxes per month for every weapon he/she has.

Thank you for taking an interest in where I am currently living. Guatemala is so different from the U.S., not better or worse just different. The beer is inexpensive. Strip bars are FULL service. And you can drive a beer while driving. Though people die, are killed, and are murdered wholesale. With the right amount of money it is a hell-a-va place to live.

Take care. God bless and God bless America.

Best regards,
D. Idaho
Old June 5, 2013, 06:52 PM   #14
weblance

^^^^Very interesting. Thanks for sharing^^^^
Old June 5, 2013, 07:08 PM   #15
.38Catt

Sounds less restrictive than other third world countries like Illinois or California.

Thank you for educating us on the laws of your country.

BTW, I have owned two Bersa .380s. The first was flawless. The second has had some issues, but I think I've solved them.

Thanks again,

.38Catt
Old June 6, 2013, 06:15 PM   #16
KevininPa

"Sounds less restrictive than other third world countries like Illinois or California"

priceless!
Old June 6, 2013, 09:51 PM   #17
danez71

I do own the little 22lr pistol. I like it a lot.

I almost bought the 9UC but the grip was kind of large and the trigger reach was kind of far in double action and I don't really like DA/SA...

... LOL... what Im getting at is that I liked it so much that I almost bought it even though it didn't fit me. I have short-ish fingers.

I don't think Ive ever read anything bad about the UC45 other than nitpicking whiners.

I do remember a fair number posts from owners that REALLY like them.

Take it for what its worth.
Old June 7, 2013, 09:11 AM   #18
lee n. field

Quote:
I almost bought the 9UC but the grip was kind of large and the trigger reach was kind of far in double action and I don't really like DA/SA...
The guy I bought mine from had only shot a box or so of .45 through it. He couldn't handle the reach. I put my hand next to his. His fingers reach was a full half inch shorter than mine.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "